Motorcycle Cutting Out Solved (I think)

Bike
2005 ST1300P
I've been having trouble with my bike cutting out especially when low on gas. After it cut out it would not start until I let it set for 15 minutes to a half hour. I have been reading all the posts on this forum regarding the matter. Some come very close to what I'm experiencing but not quite 100%. I want to thank all you guys (and gals) who have posted and all of you that replied. This forum is a great pool of information. Taking the information I checked out the EVAP canister, kill switches, tilt switches. I finally got to the point that I changed out the fuel pump. I thought it was a daunting task but in reality was very easy. I bought a pump on eBay for $15 dollars and it seems to be working great. I also bought a filter and gasket. Total was $70.
So after all that, actually during the changing of the fuel, I was able to see down into my tank. There was a black object down in there that I fished out. It was a hair wrap, not sure what to call it. It was made a a 1/2 inch wide flat material and was a full circle about 1-1/2" dia. It was sitting down in the bottom of my tank right where the fuel pump sucks in the gas. Yes, I believe that this fricken thing was occasionally blocking my fuel intake/pick up.
I have no idea how the heck it got in there. It was in the lower tank. My theory is that some long haired worker at the plant lost it. I believe this because the bike used to belong to Oakdale PD. I am the second civilian owner and I bought it with 38K miles on it. Just my theory which is mine based on my own opinion.
So the new pump is working fine. The bike's throttle response is better than it was before. I think this mystery is solved.
Again, thank you all for your contributions. This forum has guided me through several areas since I got the bike. :06biker:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
from the description you provided it sounds like it could be some kind of gasket or seal that got dropped in there by accident.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The fuel gauge float assembly has a very large o-ring mating up to the underside of the upper fuel tank. not sure how it would have got down there in the lower tank unless the fuel pump assembly was off and the person working in the bike lost it and never found it!

Bike
2010 ST1300
It was a hair wrap, not sure what to call it. It was made a a 1/2 inch wide flat material and was a full circle about 1-1/2" dia. It was sitting down in the bottom of my tank right where the fuel pump sucks in the gas. :06biker:
If it was really a scrunchie, I hope you checked the tank for the rest of the guy who wore it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If it was really a scrunchie
Glad to see the technical nomenclature used! :rofl1:

Scrunchies are generally fuzzy and not flat. Some kind of gasket does sound more likely. Nice find though. Hope it solved your problem.

OP
OP
Bubbleman331
Bike
2005 ST1300P
Yeah I was wondering if it was some kind of seal too but it is sewn to form a loop. I don't think a seal, o-ring or packing would have a seam. String in Tank.JPG

Notice at the top is a sewn seam that is bulky. I think it would make a bad seal. It is elastic.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah I was wondering if it was some kind of seal too but it is sewn to form a loop. I don't think a seal, o-ring or packing would have a seam. String in Tank.JPG

Notice at the top is a sewn seam that is bulky. I think it would make a bad seal. It is elastic.
Obviously that is not a o-ring from the gas level sending unit! :rofl1:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ask (Larry) Igofar. He's worked on a bunch of police and civilian STs near San Jose. Maybe he knows what it is and has been wondering where it went.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I have seen motor officers use these to hold stuff to their hand held mic or radio board mounted on bars above the tank. some even attach a plate to the gas cap mounting holes, I bet it was dropped while refueling in the motor pool.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
thanks for the picture. When you said it was flat and round, I was envisioning a flat, round rubber piece, nothing like what's in the picture.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Igofar, I believe you nailed it. I think that's exactly what it is thank you. :bow1:
Being new to the forum (welcome) and I see that you live close enough to ride on over to the OCD garage (search forum) for your free OCD inspection (again search reviews)
P.M. me a contact number, and I will call you on the white courtesy phone and chat a bit.
Ride safe, hope to hear from you soon.
Igofar

Speared the }<))))> in Monterey - 50+ lbs

Last edited:
Top Bottom