Garmin Zuma 665LM

Hi ST Fans-

I have a 2000 ST1100 and am very interested in obtaining XM satellite radio via Bluetooth to my helmet. I have read about the Garmin Zuma 665LM and it's XM radio capability. However, I have noticed that Garmin has stopped producing that model. I have the option to purchase one, but am concerned that the model was discontinued for specific reasons, possibly because of technical issues with the XM or Bluetooth aspects of the unit. Since they aren't cheap, I thought I would inquire about any Forum members who may have experience with the unit for feedback. I should also mention that I would be using a Sena SMH-10 headset.

Thanks for your thoughts!

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I have a Z550 ( the older version of the Z665), as far as I know the only reason it is discontinued is they moved on. Sure some folks have had some issues with any garmin unit but all in all they are fine. I have used mine with a SMH-10R and the new 20S with no issues. You will find many riders here have both the Z550 and Z665. They are both good units just older designs. If you want a GPS with Xm there are not really any other choices that I know of.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I have the 665 and it works flawlessly also paired with the Sena. I suspect that eliminating capabilities such as XM is mostly a business decision. Garmin used to put an MP3 player in many of its Nuvi models. A license to do so probably costs "x " dollars and if the feature does not draw enough interest to offset the cost, poof, away it goes. I will be dancing with XM soon. I get a 6 month newbie rate each year and then cancel the subscription just before it goes to the higher rate in October, when my riding starts to greatly diminish, then go for the newbie rate again in the spring. We shall see.

Greg

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
You can add an inexpensive XM receiver to the bike and connect it to a Sena XM10, which will broadcast the XM to your helmet. The XM10 has an additional input for your GPS if it has a wired connection for audio out. I use that system on my Wing and it works great. I also have a extra XM cradle in the truck, so I can move the receiver to the truck without an addition subscription. The truck already had a XM antenna, so a short extension cable is all that was needed.

Ride Safe
John

OP
OP
Thanks for the comments, guys!

Hey John, if I could find an XM receiver that I could use on its own (without an FM radio) that also had Bluetooth, it would be ideal. I just don't know of any that would work with a Sena. If you know of one, I would appreciate you passing that on to me.

Thanks!

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Thanks for the comments, guys!

Hey John, if I could find an XM receiver that I could use on its own (without an FM radio) that also had Bluetooth, it would be ideal. I just don't know of any that would work with a Sena. If you know of one, I would appreciate you passing that on to me.

Thanks!
I think that nearly all XM receivers have a wired output, but they won't have Bluetooth. That's why you need to wire the receiver to the XM10, which will broadcast by Bluetooth to your helmet.

John

Bike
2019 BMW R1250gs
STOC #
I also use a Zumo 665LM XM paired to Sena 20S. Works great and I enjoy not being "wired". I bought the Zumo reconditioned with new warranty last October from FactoryOutletStore.com. Before the Zumo 665 I used a portable XM receiver called Roady 2 and wired it to a small BT Stereo transmitter I bought from Amazon. Brand is Lantoo model SK-BT1018. I had no issue pairing up but I need to boost the volume out of the Roady 2 (small external amp) wich was not an issue but required another piece of equipment. I was running out of space on the bars so I decided to get the Zumo 665LM and replced my Zumo 660.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I have the 665 and it works flawlessly also paired with the Sena. I suspect that eliminating capabilities such as XM is mostly a business decision. Garmin used to put an MP3 player in many of its Nuvi models. A license to do so probably costs "x " dollars and if the feature does not draw enough interest to offset the cost, poof, away it goes. I will be dancing with XM soon. I get a 6 month newbie rate each year and then cancel the subscription just before it goes to the higher rate in October, when my riding starts to greatly diminish, then go for the newbie rate again in the spring. We shall see.

Greg
What's the 6 month deal? I'd be interested in doing that.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Garmin used to put an MP3 player in many of its Nuvi models. A license to do so probably costs "x " dollars and if the feature does not draw enough interest to offset the cost, poof, away it goes.
I haven't been to Garmin's website in ages. Are you saying the newer GPS models do not have MP3 capability? There are many hilly roads in western VA, WV and PA which are just plain crappy for XM radio ... signal comes and goes at an annoying rate. That's when the MP3 capability shines the most.

Love my Zumo 665. The only real quirk I ran into was with the MP3 player. The unit would shut down every time it got to a certain song in my playlist. Lurking about the Zumo Forum, I found this problem was because the song title contained more than 32 characters. After renaming all song titles to <32 characters, the problem disappeared. I prefer the battery-less feature of being wired.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
What's the 6 month deal? I'd be interested in doing that.
New users get the first 6 months for under $30, tax included. The 6 months of April-October coincide nicely with the riding season in the Midwest. Just remember to cancel when the 6 months are up or it goes to full price.

Greg

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I haven't been to Garmin's website in ages. Are you saying the newer GPS models do not have MP3 capability? There are many hilly roads in western VA, WV and PA which are just plain crappy for XM radio ... signal comes and goes at an annoying rate. That's when the MP3 capability shines the most.

Love my Zumo 665. The only real quirk I ran into was with the MP3 player. The unit would shut down every time it got to a certain song in my playlist. Lurking about the Zumo Forum, I found this problem was because the song title contained more than 32 characters. After renaming all song titles to <32 characters, the problem disappeared. I prefer the battery-less feature of being wired.
To my knowledge, no current Garmin units include MP3. If I missed one, someone please chime in because I have looked.

Greg

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I'm using the Zumo 590 and it has a MP3, Bluetooth, and line in audio to choose from as well as Pandora control of your phone app.
I too use the mp3 player when in those areas with spotty cell coverage. With that being said you can also Bluetooth mp3s from your phones music player also

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I'm using the Zumo 590 and it has a MP3, Bluetooth, and line in audio to choose from as well as Pandora control of your phone app.
I too use the mp3 player when in those areas with spotty cell coverage. With that being said you can also Bluetooth mp3s from your phones music player also
Thanks! Bluetooth is not an option for me because of how closer the satellite receiver is located to my Z665. Here's a photo ...
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2554&attachmentid=110747

EDIT TO ADD: Looks like XM radio & satellite weather is no longer available on a Garmin. I really dislike having to rely on a smartphone connection due to all the areas I ride where there is no cell service.

Last edited:

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Thanks! Bluetooth is not an option for me because of how closer the satellite receiver is located to my Z665. Here's a photo ...
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2554&attachmentid=110747

EDIT TO ADD: Looks like XM radio & satellite weather is no longer available on a Garmin. I really dislike having to rely on a smartphone connection due to all the areas I ride where there is no cell service.
The 590 does have a line-in option that could be used to hard wire from phone music to zumo.

Top Bottom