fork oil capacity

Hi Guys

Just been searching to find out the correct capacity of the front forks. I am about to change the seals and will need to replace the fork oil but cant seem to get a direct answer to what the correct capacity for each fork leg is can you advise me. also what the best grade oil for general riding
Thanks
dave

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hi Guys

Just been searching to find out the correct capacity of the front forks. I am about to change the seals and will need to replace the fork oil but cant seem to get a direct answer to what the correct capacity for each fork leg is can you advise me. also what the best grade oil for general riding
Thanks
dave
You need to get you one of these. fork-oil-level-gauge

Once you drain the old oil, put in fresh, then you look for how far below the top of the fork tube the oil is. I've done three sets of forks over the last eleven years, but I can remember how much oil they took! :(

OP
OP
dave120v
Hi Thanks for this info, but surely there must be a fixed capacity from empty that I could just measure and put in. The device you have show would only allow you to balance the level between the two fork levels

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I used a wooden dowel rod to measure the fork oil level. I don't have too much experience (just one fork rebuild) but from what I remember, seems most use the level method instead of volume.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Hi Thanks for this info, but surely there must be a fixed capacity from empty that I could just measure and put in. The device you have show would only allow you to balance the level between the two fork levels
Unless you have completely disassembled the forks, you never get all the oil out, so the ONLY way to ensure the proper volume of oil is by measuring down from the top of the fork tube, with the spring removed and the fork fully compressed. The wooden dowel works well for measuring. 7.5 inches from the top of the fork is what I measure, using Progressive springs. Also, since each fork is different and has a different function, you are better off using a 10W-15W in the left fork and a 7W in the right one. This applies if you have the standard non ABS model. The forks are valved differently on ABS so you need to be aware of that. Having the Honda Service Manual would help you,

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Replace what you dump out if your not taking the fork completely apart.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dave120v
Hi
Thanks done the job now had to use a mixed method left hand fork is easy you can use the measurement method assembling off the bike. The right fork however is much more of a problem as its impossible to measure from the top as the spring assembly prevents this so used the volume method and had to put it in with a syringe but all good in the end
This you tube video is a help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmYJgcGX30

Thanks again now only need to fix the other problem I have posted

Top Bottom