Intermittent speedometer failure, ST1300

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Was riding about a month ago and noticed the speedo needle was suddenly on zero while the bike was doing at least 60 mph. I came to a stop and took off and the speedo started working. About three miles later, it stopped, again.

It seemed like a bad connection so I took the side panels off and cleaned the contacts on the plug of my old model "yellow box." Speedo worked fine after that. I went for a ride yesterday and the thing worked just fine.

My question is - when the speedo sensor fails on these things, is it all of a sudden or is it intermittent, like I experienced? I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst, like having to replace the sensor, which looks like it will be a PITA. Thanks.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Try taking the yellow box out of the circuit before springing for a new sensor. There is not much history of these sensors failing. Also check the contacts at the sensor itself and the large one behind the gauge cluster.

Bike
2008 ST1300
I had my speedometer fail a while ago at about 60000 miles. It was intermittent as you describe. It was an easy item to replace but I understand the us bikes to have a more complex system on it. Something to do with emissions? Hope that helps.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Your speed sensor is on its way out. They are very easy to change. a 1/4 inch ratchet with an extension, and an 8mm or 10mm socket should do it. The connection is hidden behind the rubber mat, just behind the smog canister. Find it, unplug it, and tie a string to the end of it.
Then put your bike on the SIDE STAND and place a pie pan under neath it. The switch can be unbolted and removed from the right side of the bike. Gently pull it, leaving the string in its path for replacement. Install the new switch, attach the string, and pull it back into place and connect it. Done.
You will loose a couple oz. of oil.
You can order the part from any of the parts houses like Ronayers.com etc.
P.M. me if you need further assistance.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Try taking the yellow box out of the circuit before springing for a new sensor. There is not much history of these sensors failing. Also check the contacts at the sensor itself and the large one behind the gauge cluster.
I have seen 6-7 of them fail in the last two or three years, mileage didn't seem to matter, from 30,000 to 60,000 seems to be the average mileage on the ones that I saw. Mine personal one died the same way, freeway speed, needle dropped, then bounced back up again etc. Did this twice (same ride) on the way home, then died.
Most the bikes were between 04 - 07 models.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I have seen 6-7 of them fail in the last two or three years, mileage didn't seem to matter, from 30,000 to 60,000 seems to be the average mileage on the ones that I saw. Mine personal one died the same way, freeway speed, needle dropped, then bounced back up again etc. Did this twice (same ride) on the way home, then died.
Most the bikes were between 04 - 07 models.
Interesting, I've previously only heard of one or two failures. Mine (2005) is still going at 150K+ miles

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I have probably seen more ST's in my garage than the average forum member :rofl1:
I have replaced enough of them that I now keep one in stock in my spare parts tool box just in case someone traveling through the area needs one.

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have probably seen more ST's in my garage than the average forum member :rofl1:
I have replaced enough of them that I now keep one in stock in my spare parts tool box just in case someone traveling through the area needs one.
Part#s:

Speed Sensor Assembly - 37700-MCS-003, $67.93
O-Ring #91302-MAL-601, $2.04

From Service Honda

Bike
2006 ST1300
59k miles and mine is doing this. VSS on order. Will the bike ECU run without speed data? I got a FI light now also. Just wondering if it's related.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I've replaced two or three of them in the last couple years, like you said, they dropped to zero, then bounced back up to normal a couple times before failing completely.
On mine, I got no code thrown either, sounds like you have a couple issues going on.

Bike
2006 ST1300
there is a code for speed sensor malfunction but I also have a MAP vac. hose code. just reset the codes, took s ride, and no problem now (except no speedo of course). have to watch it.

Speedo is still out till engine gets good and warm about 10 miles then comes on and stays on. Should have parts by the 20th.

Top Bottom