Waterproofing a custom seat

Bike
2005 ST1300
Hey folks
I'm looking for some advice please, I've just taken delivery of a new to me secondhand custom seat and am wondering what is the best product to waterproof the seat and stitching as we get a lot of rain over here in the Emerald Isle as some of you probably know if you've visited here :). Any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers
Dub 24

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I've been told by people at Russell and Sargent that you cannot waterproof a stitched seat. Every stitch has a hole through the upholstery and waterproofing sprays or waxes won't work. Notice that OEM seats typically have no stitching. That's so water doesn't leak in through stitch holes.

If your seat has stitched upholstery, get a waterproof cover that fits over the seat for when you have to ride or park in the rain.

P.S. Russell sells these covers on their website.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
There are stitched seats that are waterproof either using closed cell foam or a plastic membrane between seat cover and open cell foam padding. Sargent and Corbin come to mind.

Bike
2010 ST1300
There are stitched seats that are waterproof either using closed cell foam or a plastic membrane between seat cover and open cell foam padding. Sargent and Corbin come to mind.
I've been told by people at Russell and Sargent that you cannot waterproof a stitched seat. Every stitch has a hole through the upholstery and waterproofing sprays or waxes won't work. Notice that OEM seats typically have no stitching. That's so water doesn't leak in through stitch holes.

If your seat has stitched upholstery, get a waterproof cover that fits over the seat for when you have to ride or park in the rain.
In my experience, Bones is right. You cannot waterproof a bike's seat that has been sewn for the reasons he stated. Tent seam sealers will do a temporary job - until you sit on the seat and stress the stiching/holes opening them up. The applied seam sealer is visible and unsightly. A wax based type sealer (used on some boots) tends to stain your pants and again, the holes will move slightly voiding the waxy seal. Dave's comment works to the extent that the water will not be absorbed by the seat's open cell foam, but any water that gets through the holes will sit between the outer vinyl cover and inner waterproof membrane. This will be a vast improvement over sitting on a wet sponge but is not a complete cure - especially if you are wearing something like blue jeans or pants that are not water repellent or proof (as in Gore-Tex lined). (This last is my opinion only - I don't have any experience with the inner waterproof layer but if a sewn cover is on the bike, water will go through it.) In the old days, I grinned and rode wet. Today I wear a 'Stitch suit (and have an OEM seat).

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
All I know for sure is that for 40,000 miles on the Corbin Canyon on my R100, 158,000 miles on the Sargent on the ST, and 24,000 miles on the Sargents on the NCs waterproofing was not or has not ever been a problem. However, that's only been a quarter million miles so far.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Seat Concepts kit I have for came with a thin plastic sheet to put between the cover and the foam...... in the past I have worked a beeswax leather polish into the stitching of my seats and followed with a Lexol treatment of the leather. You can avoid most water on your seat if you park on the side stand.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
Hey folks
Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate it. I have been doing a bit of digging on this issue and think I have found something to use. I use Nikwax products to waterproof all my motorbike gear and have found it excellent for water proofing the gear, I checked out their website and found a couple of products that might work.

I followed up with a phone call to a outdoor pursuits shop who suggested two products one was "TX direct spray on" which I currently have. This product supposedly leaves a flexible waterproof repellent and it works on areas such as elbows and seams on jackets. This could work or could all be as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike:poPoST1: either way I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

I am not going to spray it on but intend to put some in a small container and use one of my kids small paint brushes and brush it on some of the stitching down the side of the saddle to see how it reacts / dry's first.

The other product he suggested was their "Tent and gear solar proof" which provides water repellency and protects against UV deterioration which might be of benefit to some of you guys living in the warm states. If the first one doesn't work I'm going to try this one and again will let you know how it works out, either way with the weather we are having here at the moment it won't be to long before I have an answer.

cheers
dub 24

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
Hey Folks
Just to give an update my saddle has got well an truly soaked over the past month and the TX Spray has done the job .
Cheers
Dub 24

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Sometimes the thread will swell and seal the stitch holes. I use a nylon thread when stitching up my leather goods and the nylon sometimes seals the hole. I replaced the cover on my Corbin saddle with leather and I use Fieblings beeswax conditioner. I rub it in well and put a good dose of it along the seams. For the most part the water beads off the saddle and I haven't encountered any issues

Top Bottom