Hearing aids and motorcycle riding, advice sought

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I'm getting old. Too many opera singers singing next to me. etc.
The time has come for me to acquire hearing aids. I would like any advice regarding wearing them whilst riding, what would be the best style. I do wear glasses and require to take them off when putting on my helmet any issues with behind the ear style?
Do you have bluetooth units that you pair with your phone or GPS?
Do you remove them when you ride? if so how do you store them?
I'm seeking enlightenment

Thanks
Robert

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Robert, I've had hearing aids for quite a while now. I have Beltones and really like them. If you have a smart phone you can Bluetooth your aids to it. If your phone rings, you can carry on a pretty good conversation on them. In addition, there are four settings that you can set by a button on the aids themselves. You can have these set up for different things. My #2 setting is used when I go into a noisy place, such as a restaurant. It cuts a lot of the background noise. I've heard that you can also get a unit to connect to your tv and Bluetooth to the aids. I don't have one, I do use headphones with a sending unit plugged into my tv.

These hearing aids will be set up for you, meaning after you get a complete hearing test, they will let you know what settings are best. This will change over time and they will reset them for you. One thing they do is put what is called a 'white noise' on them and dismisses the hearing buzzing. I also have free cleaning on these every three months. I take them in and they clean them, no charge.

Now are far as wearing them while I'm riding, I take them out. I Bluetooth my iPhone to my Sena and listen to my music and take a phone call if needed. Problem I've had is remoing the helmet tends to pull them out. My Beltones came with a carrying case that I put them in. I get my batteries on line, Amazon, and a set usually last about 4-6 days.

I will say that these are not cheap but I knew that going in and was willing to pay what I needed to get the proper help. And now I also don't have to keep saying 'what' to my wife every time we talk.

If you have any more specific questions please feel free to email me: garymast1100atyahoodotcom. I'd be more than happy to answer any if I can.

Gary

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Thanks Gary.
Excellent info!
I have a Sena headset and that works just dandy for my riding needs, I use them just like you do. I've done a quick search on other sites and the general opinion was to take the hearing aids out whilst riding just as you have articulated.
If I have more questions I will be sure to ask.
Thanks very much for this.
Cheers

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
The first most important thing to do is get a complete hearing test and they will help you from that.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
gmast1100 said:
Problem I've had is remoing the helmet tends to pull them out
This is probably not relevant since you don't wear them while riding but— I wear a helmet liner that covers my ears. This keeps my earbuds (not hearing aids) in place when I pull my helmet off.

A buddy was having a little trouble hearing dialog on the TV and his wife insisted he go to an audiologist. They both went. Turn out his hearing was fine but she needed hearing aids.

I blame lousy TV sound. Good headphone through a decent DAC and some speech still remain unintelligible.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
This is probably not relevant since you don't wear them while riding but— I wear a helmet liner that covers my ears. This keeps my earbuds (not hearing aids) in place when I pull my helmet off.

A buddy was having a little trouble hearing dialog on the TV and his wife insisted he go to an audiologist. They both went. Turn out his hearing was fine but she needed hearing aids.

I blame lousy TV sound. Good headphone through a decent DAC and some speech still remain unintelligible.
Yes I also wear a head liner and have tried it, but with my music playing, it's a little too loud for me, even if I turn down the volume.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Just got hearing aids in October, behind the ear models. I can't get my helmet on without pulling one or both out of place, so I don't wear them when I'm riding. And....yes....I have tried several manufacturer helmets at the dealership. I don't bother at all when riding my unfaired bikes....there's so much wind noise that it seems pointless.

Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Got an appointment with an ENT to get mine tested soon and know already I have hearing loss, just trying to prevent losing any more. Too many sirens, concerts, shooting etc. and a family history of hearing issues are catching up with me. Reading this with interest for the future if needed.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I now have Bionic ears. I opted for the in ear canal model, with bluetooth. I don't have any issues with putting on my helmet or taking it off. I can hear my phone and my music, It connects with both my TomTom and Chinavision GPS. I can also have a setting that mutes the unit so they may act as earplugs as well.
Road conditions up here are not conducive to riding at the moment so it will be a few weeks before I get to road test them.

Last edited:
Bike
Suzuki Bandit 250
I'm currently wearing behind-the-ear hearing aids. Is there anyone like me? Did you buy another device for riding, maybe an in-ear one?

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I'm currently wearing behind-the-ear hearing aids. Is there anyone like me? Did you buy another device for riding, maybe an in-ear one?
I now own behind the ear units, and I wear them in my helmet. My only issue is when I remove my helmet and they come out of my ears and fall to the ground. I now bend forward, so that when I remove my helmet in a downward motion my hearing aids if get dislodged fall into the helmet for easy retrieval.

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
I also wear behind the ear hearing aids. I wore them once with my helmet on, when I took my helmet off they went flying. I don't wear them when I ride and luckily I can still hear my music in my 30K.

wbgva_roadkill

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW K1600GTL
Same here, BTE. I keep them in a case in my pocket when I ride, my Shoei Neotec II is very quiet behind the big windscreen on the BMW K1600 Grand America and I hear everything I want to on my Sena 50R.

Reactions: JCB

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
My younger brother just got behind the ear hearing aids but can't wear them with his helmet., so when he day rides they stay home

I need them, but being stubborn and frugal have not proceeded further.

Do they help with tinnitus at all?

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
Ditto on the BTE hearing aids. They do help some with the tinnitus since you are hearing stuff you didn't use to hear. I really notice the ringing when I take them off at night. And I don't ride with them in. Just hope to remember to take them off before I insert ear plugs for riding. For some reason, the hearing aids and ear plugs won't fit in the ear at the same time.........

I just don't wear mine. I am technically deaf (70%) in each ear and because of the expense of good hearing aids (~$5-6k per pair every 5 years), and not having any backups, this could serve as an efficient, temporary backup option. So glad they approved of the OTC for so many people who need them, but can’t afford them. I also hope that hearing aid store will have some good discounts at the end of the year and i can get enough hearing aid supplies for the future.

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I wear mine mostly at work (the BTE version), usually not when the wife is around (so I have an out that I didn’t hear her), and never on the bike- I use Plugfones BT on the bike so I have music but it seals out a lot of the wind noise.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I was told by my audiologist that I should not use my HAs while riding.

I don't want to amplify potentially harmful sounds.
Yes, totally agree...
I use behind the ear HA's, and when I ride they go into their carrying case and in my pocket .
I am paranoid about protecting my ears from further hearing loss - why would you want to amplify engine and road noise into your ears ?

I'm also paranoid about losing my HAs - and wearing them under your helmet, you are just asking to lose them.

I either wear earplugs (Hearos - 33db noise reduction), or Etymotic earbuds ( also 30db noise reduction) every time I ride.
And even with that amount of noise reduction, I can still hear what I need to while riding. Maybe better.

Protect your hearing!

Top Bottom