Sena 20S Music Sound Quality?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have the same issue with trying to get my helmet on and off over earbuds and i would really like to try it. I think the sound would be better and outside noise would be cut down considerably. I came across these and am seriously considering this as they look to be very low profile http://www.earfuze.com/index.html. Just curious as to whether anyone has tried these
I've tried something similar where you had some soft molding and place an ear bud in your ears then surround the space w/material and it will harden after you're done.. I still have them but if they move even a little when they're in your ears and you have the helmet on.... panic sets in as it can feel like it locked your helmet in place... I tried even with a skull cap thinking that would keep it from happening but it didn't work for me... others do like this type of setup though so maybe I just have hostile ears... lol

Bike
2005 st1300
Bike
2005 st1300
I've tried something similar where you had some soft molding and place an ear bud in your ears then surround the space w/material and it will harden after you're done.. I still have them but if they move even a little when they're in your ears and you have the helmet on.... panic sets in as it can feel like it locked your helmet in place... I tried even with a skull cap thinking that would keep it from happening but it didn't work for me... others do like this type of setup though so maybe I just have hostile ears... lol
They sell a kit where you can mold your own earbuds in your ears and that would be great except for the clearance issues and I figure I would just end up with exactly the issue your describing. Thanks

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Ah, okay. Thanks. Never thought to look on amazon. Reviews arent too promising. Thats what I was looking for.
Odd... the reviews arent bad on the Fuze website... people love em'... LOL
These noise canceling earphones look like a good deal for saving hearing and listening to music. Andy ^ mentioned Shure ear plugs. Some decent reviews on Amzon : Shure SE215-K Sound Isolating Earphones https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Isolating-Earphones-MicroDriver/product-reviews/B004PNZFZ8/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&sortBy=recent

I'm checking out the Bose QuietComfort 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones which have rave reviews, but are very pricey at ~$250 and apeare to be specific to phone types. I'd pay the price (good music and protected hearing are worth it to me) if I can find a generic plug-in model. Still looking.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
These noise canceling earphones look like a good deal for saving hearing and listening to music. Andy ^ mentioned Shure ear plugs. Some decent reviews on Amzon : Shure SE215-K Sound Isolating Earphones https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K...&sortBy=recent
I just ordered a pair of Shure E315's from ebay made an offer and it was accepted about the same price as the E215's are going for. Just make sure they aren't used.

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
If you like ear plugs you can go the custom route and get them with built in speakers they work well and the sound quality is very good but they can be pricey. I am fine with the speakers and foam ear plugs.
Agree, but can build your own custom ones by using your favorite ear buds and the custom ear plug kit from retailers like Bass Pro ( about $15).

STOC #
Moved this to its own thread...

Okay... got the iASUS X3 Helmet Speakers today in the Mail.

Arrived 2-3-17.jpg

I'll give them 5 stars for shipping and packaging! I was just notified today that they had shipped and they were already in today's mailbox.
I was expecting to get my patch connector (for hard-wire) and my Sena Earbud Adapter Cable (for Bluetooth) first. But those aren't here yet.

So in the mean-time, here is what I've done...

I plugged my Sony MDR-7506 headphones into my laptop and gave them a good listen.
These are Studio Monitor Headphones in the $99 price range, and should perform well with any decent source.
They sound great, of course.

Sony Headphones.jpg

Then I took the iASUS X3's and slipped them inside the ear space of the Sony headphones (since I don't want to start pulling my helmet apart until my adapters get here) and put them on as normal.
I plugged them into the laptop with the included extension cord (which is only about 18" long, so not really usable from the DIN connector on my F6B Gold Wing, clear up to the helmet, but that's another task.

X3's Stuffed.jpg

Results...?
They sounded almost identical. It's possible that the X3's were actually a little "crisper" (granted they were a little closer to my ears in this test) but the Bass response was identical. (The specs below justify that). So I'm also going to assume that when these speakers are properly mounted inside a helmet, instead of loosely inside another company's headphones, I'll get an even fuller Bass response.

This is all good news considering the following specs:

Sony / iASUS

Magnet Type:
Neodymium / Unk

Driver Size:
40 mm / Unk

Frequency Response:
10-20kHz / 20-22kHz

Impedance:
63 Ohms / 60 Ohms

Sensitivity:
106 dB / 125dB

Power Handling:
1,000 mW / 6 mW

So at the moment, I'd say they are going to be great. I just hope that once the Sena Adapter Cord arrives, the Sena 10R has enough poop to power them.
If it doesn't, I may still install them in the helmet, but use a hard-wired approach to the F6B on-board stereo, instead of depending on the Sena for wireless Bluetooth.

I'll know more next week.

Jim

Last edited:
STOC #
This too...

So... two more things I want to pass on to everyone. (Some of you audiophiles may already know about them).

First, there is a semi-decent review of the iASUS XSOUND3 Helmet Speakers here.

Second, in this article he references a Music Player App called PowerAmp.
Wow. The best $3.99 I've spent in a very long time.
The 10 band Graphic Equalizer alone is worth the price of admission, but some of the other features and Bluetooth integration benefits are awesome.

Just wanted to pass these two findings on...

Jim

[Currently rocking-out to newfound fidelity in my Android... wooohooo... (I gotta ride tomorrow). :D ]

Last edited:
Bike
2019 BMW R1250gs
STOC #
As others, I found the volume with the original Sena 20S speakers to be less than desired at highway speeds, even with the volume at max with ear plugs. I removed the Sena speakers and installed UCLEAR Pulse Drop In Speakers. The UCLEAR have a 3.5mm stereo plug that plugs into the port for ear buds on the 20S. No cutting required. Much better quality and more volume. The XM stereo through the UCLEAR speakers is very good and my volume control is much lower. If I turn the volume to higher settings, it is too loud even with ear plugs. I recommend UCLEAR Pulse drop in speakers or similar to increase volume and quality over the Sena speakers.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
As others, I found the volume with the original Sena 20S speakers to be less than desired at highway speeds, even with the volume at max with ear plugs. I removed the Sena speakers and installed UCLEAR Pulse Drop In Speakers. The UCLEAR have a 3.5mm stereo plug that plugs into the port for ear buds on the 20S. No cutting required. Much better quality and more volume. The XM stereo through the UCLEAR speakers is very good and my volume control is much lower. If I turn the volume to higher settings, it is too loud even with ear plugs. I recommend UCLEAR Pulse drop in speakers or similar to increase volume and quality over the Sena speakers.
Thanks John, that sounds like a nice alternative to ear buds...
Here's a direct link http://ucleardigital.com/shop/helmet-audio/powersports/pulse-helmet-speakers/

One question John, how's the battery life w/20s? I'm good for about 7-12 hrs typically... Which is why I bought 2. Are the better speakers drawing more energy and reducing battery life between charges?

Bike
2019 BMW R1250gs
STOC #
Power draw from UCLEAR digital helmet speakers?
I really do not have a benchmark for battery life as I changed out the speakers almost immediately and I have not used the 20S for anymore than about a 3 hour stretch at this time.

I have a spare USB charging cable on my bike already connected so if the 20S runs low on power I can connect the USB cable while riding and charge the 20S. My Sena SR10 (for bike to bike radio-non Sena intercom) is connected to bike power so it can charge anytime.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
UCLEAR Pulse Drop In Speakers
I'm wondering if the UCLEAR and Shure bud speakers work with the Sena 20 microphone when plugged in. I looked at the Sena web site and couldn't see how the speakers were hooked in. I sometimes get emergency phone calls I need to respond to.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I'm wondering if the UCLEAR and Shure bud speakers work with the Sena 20 microphone when plugged in. I looked at the Sena web site and couldn't see how the speakers were hooked in. I sometimes get emergency phone calls I need to respond to.
The Sena 20S Microphone has it's own plug into the base mount.

The Sena speakers also have a special plug into the 20S base mount. So I am assuming that when using the UCLEAR Pulse speakers this special plug is removed with the Sena speakers and the UCLEAR speakers are plugged into the 3.5mm stereo jack socket on the Sena 20S unit.

Last edited:

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Thanks John, that sounds like a nice alternative to ear buds...
Here's a direct link http://ucleardigital.com/shop/helmet-audio/powersports/pulse-helmet-speakers/

One question John, how's the battery life w/20s? I'm good for about 7-12 hrs typically... Which is why I bought 2. Are the better speakers drawing more energy and reducing battery life between charges?
The UCLEAR Pulse speakers are standard 8 ohm resistance so should not draw any more power than the Sena OEM speakers.

Top Bottom