Sena 20S Music Sound Quality?

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Was following this with interest but just went out and looked at my SMH10's and the speakers are attached to the clamp and don't unplug. Oh well, maybe a new 20 is what I need. Do the speakers on the 20's plug in?

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Last edited:

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I have the Sena 10R, but it has the same speakers as the 20S. They are OK, but can't handle much volume before distorting. I just purchased a set of upgrade speakers (Link) that another forum was touting... we'll see.

If these don't work much better, I'll have to try the earbud route. But I'll have to do some creative soldering or buy the adapter cord, since the 10R does not have a specific output jack for earbuds.
Which adapter cord are you referring to? I also use the SMH10R and looked through their adapters and did not see any for Sena. My experience with the stock setup (I use foam earplugs) is that sound quality is decent depending on the song, volume is great around town but could certainly use some more volume at interstate speeds.

Skip

STOC #
Which adapter cord are you referring to? I also use the SMH10R and looked through their adapters and did not see any for Sena. My experience with the stock setup (I use foam earplugs) is that sound quality is decent depending on the song, volume is great around town but could certainly use some more volume at interstate speeds.

Skip
This cord (10R-A0101):

s-l1600.jpg

You have the SMH10R and I have the 10R there are a few differences (the 10R is thinner, has Bluetooth 4.1, and has FM radio built in, for example).
There is a different earbud adapter cable for the SMH10R.
This is because my right and left speaker plugs are independent of each other, yours has a single plug/splitter between the two.
This should work for you:

SMH Adapter.jpg

eBay Link, $7.48 free shipping.

Jim

Last edited:
STOC #
Skip,
Additionally, I found a bit more detail on the Sena Support Site (I did edit it a bit - in red).

The difference between the 10R and the SMH10R are as follows:

1. The 10R is grey where as the SMH10R is black.
2. The 10R uses Bluetooth 4.1.
3. With 10R using Bluetooth 4.1, this allows for more functionality such as Sena Smartphone App compatibility and Handlebar Remote and Wristband Remote support.
4. Since it supports the Handlebar Remote, there is one included in the package of the 10R. (Only if ordered that way... I purchased only the Headset - without the Remote).
5. The 10R has a built in FM radio.
6. The 10R comes with improved speakers for better audio quality (actually the same speakers standard on the 20S - and I'm still not happy with them yet). The connectors for the speakers have been changed so the speakers for the SMH10R are not compatible with the speakers for the 10R.
7. The talk time has been increased to 10 hours.
8. The length of time it takes to charge the 10R is 3 hours.

Last edited:

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I found some 90 degree adapters with narrow ends to try out.

This allows me to use my s-plug ear buds.

I just tried them and they sound great, lots of good audio quality and a MUCH lower volume needed on the 20s. I think the last time I tried these it was with the J&M CB and since that is powered from the bike, so that introduces a lot of noise and I wasn't satisfied with that... I'll give this setup a try for the up coming big bend bash to see how I like it.

IMG_20170206_125523.jpg

IMG_20170206_125612.jpg

IMG_20170206_125712.jpg

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I found some 90 degree adapters with narrow ends to try out.

This allows me to use my s-plug ear buds.

I just tried them and they sound great, lots of good audio quality and a MUCH lower volume needed on the 20s. I think the last time I tried these it was with the J&M CB and since that is powered from the bike, so that introduces a lot of noise and I wasn't satisfied with that... I'll give this setup a try for the up coming big bend bash to see how I like it.
Does the Sena microphone work with your setup?

Are you using the duel driver s-plug ear buds? And do they pick up ambient noise from the inside the helmet?

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Does the Sena microphone work with your setup?
Yes, the Sena unit already has an ear bud place in the front of it, all that does is allow the audio to be heard via those, The microphone is unaffected.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I got my Shure E315s yesterday and tried them out they sound fantastic very very good quality and great sound isolation now to see how long I can wear them comfortably

OP
OP
Ken H
Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
This discussion is awesome. I dont even have a Sena yet and Im getting all kinds of good ideas for alternatives for the Sena speakers if needed.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
This discussion is awesome. I dont even have a Sena yet and Im getting all kinds of good ideas for alternatives for the Sena speakers if needed.
I hear ya. I have been thinking about getting a 20s and have learned a lot in this thread. I was considering getting the custom earbuds but is sounds like the uclear speakers may be the way to go and are much more cost effective.

After looking at the reviews on Amazon I am not so sold on the Uclear speakers. Mixed reviews about not being able to hear them at highway speeds. I know custom earbuds are more expensive but I am thinking its a one time investment that is probably the best option.

Man that post is filled with puns.

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Landon I had custom ear buds and since I got the Shure 315s I think they are more comfortable and every bit as good sound wise , and the sound isolation may even be better.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've got a pair of high-end Shures that I use at home. Due to their cost and the fixed cord they'll not see bike service. I might try the 315s. How to they feel under a hat?

The iASUS speakers and earplugs look like a better solution for me. Fidelity will suffer some but fitment wouldn't be an issue. It's also more convenient. I'm tempted to get the speakers now and use them wired in place of my earbuds.

iASUS has an inline battery-powered amp that can be added if extra volume is needed. Somebody else must make one too.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
This company is going to be at the Chicago motorcycle show next weekend. I plan to check them out while there, maybe they will have a show special.

https://earinc.com/product/racing-helmet-monitors-cfv/
I had some custom plugs/ear buds made. I sat straight up in the chair when then took a mold of my ear. They work pretty good on my wing or ST...but when I am leaning forward on my CBR my ear canal changes and I get a leak which whistles. Make sure that you are in the riding position that you are going to be using them in.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
This cord (10R-A0101):

s-l1600.jpg

You have the SMH10R and I have the 10R there are a few differences (the 10R is thinner, has Bluetooth 4.1, and has FM radio built in, for example).
There is a different earbud adapter cable for the SMH10R.
This is because my right and left speaker plugs are independent of each other, yours has a single plug/splitter between the two.
This should work for you:

SMH Adapter.jpg

eBay Link, $7.48 free shipping.

Jim
So I'm assuming the plug on the new speakers is the pin type? If so, it does look like the second pic would work but I imagine stuffing that coiled cord in the helmet and still being comfortable would be a challenge.

Skip

STOC #
So I'm assuming the plug on the new speakers is the pin type? If so, it does look like the second pic would work but I imagine stuffing that coiled cord in the helmet and still being comfortable would be a challenge.

Skip
If by "pin type" you mean a standard 3.5mm Stereo Mini Plug, then Yes. The second link should work for you, but I think you're right... stuffing the whole length of that coiled cord might indeed be a task.

You could do what I had planned, and that is to use the adapter as a test cord, and if satisfied, then cut the coiled length off and solder the new speakers into it. After all, what you really need here is that proprietary Sena connection on the other end anyway.

Just my $.02.

Jim

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I've got a pair of high-end Shures that I use at home. Due to their cost and the fixed cord they'll not see bike service.
The 315s have a removable replaceable cord that's one of the things that attracted me to them. They list for $199 I got a pair off e-bay for $148 not cheap but cheaper than the custom made ear plugs with speakers.

Top Bottom