Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Tires - Are a Winner!

Bike
2005 ST1300
I just ran through my first set of the 4 GT's - i ran them about 8k. The handling was amazing! Ive run just about every twistie in every condition from blazing hot to severe thunderstorms (on long rides I dont pull over I just slow down a bit) covering OH, IN, PA, KY, WVA, VA, NC, SC, GA & TN. I did notice that the center of the tire is really flat and i still have plenty of treat on the sides. I do a ton of long, high speed, Highway miles (at least 50%) to get to the fun places and I follow the 42 Cold Pressure rule ... anything I can do to get more miles out of these? $350 every 7-8k gets excpensive???

Also, what is the Honda Spec for tire size? I think my local dealer/tech may have installed an alternate size bc thats what he had in inventory (not using him anymore) and I want to be sure to buy the correct tire this time?

JT105

Let's Ride!
Bike
12 ST1300, 15 NC700X
How are the PR4GTs with tar snakes? I wore out the stock Bridgestones and need to get new tires this spring. The roads on my commute are a minefield of tar snakes and the Brigstones made it feel like slipping on grease when I ride over them.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
I just ordered a set of front and rear...best price for the set including shipping is $342.46 from 2Wheel. Revzilla was $8.00 more.....

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
I got over 11,000 on mine and near the end when you got in a sharp turn you would start to feel the transition to the different treads. I didn't get any cupping on mine and overall really liked them, especially the wet weather traction. Had them on my the ST and then put them on the FJR. Went with the Pirelli this time just to compare and got a good deal on them through a local seller. Went both times with the tires spec'd for the bike Gt on PR4 and A-Spec on the Pirelli.
Good luck with them and think you will like them.

JT105

Let's Ride!
Bike
12 ST1300, 15 NC700X
Ordered a set Tuesday from Amazon. Showed up Wednesday. Came from two different sellers. Funny that they just wrap a shipping label around the bare tire and deliver it naked. Didn't expect that. Tires look great.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
JT105 said:
Funny that they just wrap a shipping label around the bare tire and deliver it naked
I bought a set of four tires and rims from The Tire Rack. The tire shipped mounted on the rims with some layers of very heavy triple-wall cardboard protecting there rims. Labels were on the tires and cardboard.

Picked them up at the post office and rolled 'em out to the car. Took them to the local tire shop and for a small fee they were mounted and balanced. I got a set of exhaust pipes through the mail with just a label and postage on them. Bare tires are cake.

Bike
07 ST1300
I bought a set of four tires and rims from The Tire Rack. The tire shipped mounted on the rims with some layers of very heavy triple-wall cardboard protecting there rims. Labels were on the tires and cardboard.

Picked them up at the post office and rolled 'em out to the car. Took them to the local tire shop and for a small fee they were mounted and balanced. I got a set of exhaust pipes through the mail with just a label and postage on them. Bare tires are cake.
Tire rack didn't balance them?

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Boy, I wish I could get 10, 11 or 12,000 miles out of mine. The first one lasted about 7,000 on my second one now, I guess I am just on the throttle a little too much! Love the tires, handling is great wet or dry but I guess they are like alot of other tires just don't like it when you are on the throttle too much!

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
How are the PR4GTs with tar snakes? I wore out the stock Bridgestones and need to get new tires this spring. The roads on my commute are a minefield of tar snakes and the Brigstones made it feel like slipping on grease when I ride over them.
No tire I've ever had on the '07 ST : PR2 or 3. T30GT, Avon Storm.... work well (or any better than another) on tar snakes. By nature...tar snakes do not have the traction of a regular road surface. While I have over 100,000 miles of experience...I still get the "pucker" factor when dealing with parallel Tar Snakes. " trust your tires" we're told. I trust them, but the trust in this situation is that after you get done slipping across the tar snake in a no straight situation...your tire will "grab" and hold. GREAT....after the fact !

My area of Indiana had plenty of tar to pour into road cracks over the past year, so some of the roads I used to love practicing my bob and weave techniques are now a minefield just waiting for me to have to cross overlapping tar snakes. Several of us wonder why they can't add some sort of "grit" into the mix to add traction. GOOD question I think.

Ride safely and watch out for snake bites !

JT105

Let's Ride!
Bike
12 ST1300, 15 NC700X
Not a fan of the "pucker". A couple of intersections are totally covered. I have to take it real slow in those spots or ride 3 miles out of my way to avoid it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Gilly57 said:
Several of us wonder why they can't add some sort of "grit" into the mix to add traction.
True. It's not like that would be worse than the asphalt it's 'repairing'. They really wouldn't be 'adding' it. They'd be giving it back!

Top Bottom