Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Tires - Are a Winner!

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I put a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Tires on my 2003 ST1300 earlier this week and rode the bike in pouring rain today.
I am very happy with the tires performance on all road surfaces. They are just amazingly good on wet surfaces!

Bike
2006 ST1300
They mount easily as well...:) I mounted one on back about a year ago, love the road holding and quietness.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
So what kind of life are you seeing from these tires, and does the front still cup and howl like the PR3'S did?

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I've been through a couple of PR4 GTs and reliably get 7k miles out of a rear , they last a bit longer than PR2 and much better than the 3 which Imo the sidewall is to soft for our style and load. The 4 handling is adequate but the others are better, the 2 is best for me
We ride two up adding about 400lb including luggage, no highways and not hanging about!

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
So what kind of life are you seeing from these tires, and does the front still cup and howl like the PR3'S did?
Yes, they still cup and my front tire does make a low growl in turns, but I wouldn't call it a howl. In fact, after you get used the audio feedback, it's kind of nice that it's there. It's like the tire telling you just how much you're asking of it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I was able to roll 20k on my last set of PR4s. I do mostly solo slab riding, so if you wear out the sides but leave the center we could trade because I hardly ever get to lean.:confused:;):D

Bike
2010 ST1300
I was able to roll 20k on my last set of PR4s. I do mostly solo slab riding, so if you wear out the sides but leave the center we could trade because I hardly ever get to lean.:confused:;):D
I can see it now, a new Forum - Tire Swap. :bow1:

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I can see it now, a new Forum - Tire Swap. :bow1:
The PR4 GT rear is the only PR that we get close to even wear centre and sides, the others were all tire swap candidates for slab riders!

Overall the PR4 is the best compromise for us, but as we know ever rider 'does it their way' when using rubber .

Last edited:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I'm also extremely happy with the PR4GTs on my ST1300 - the mileage I am getting is remarkable (about 15,000 miles from the rear, more from the front), riding solo. I don't even get half that mileage from the Metzeler tires I put on my ST1100.

The grip and ride quality of the PR4 GTs is also excellent. I would not hesitate to recommend this tire to others.

Michael

Bike
2010 ST1300
The PR4 GT rear is the only PR that we get close to even wear centre and sides, the others were all tire swap candidates for slab riders!

Overall the PR4 is the best compromise for us, but as we know ever rider 'does it their way' when using rubber .
Ok, you brought up something new, I think. I was obviously kidding around w/ my earlier comment. I also know that our mc tires are made with compounds of different hardness - hard in the center and softer as you go out toward the sidewalls for increased grip in turns.

So you are saying (at least for your style of riding - mostly slab) that the PR4's wear evenly? This suggests that for a canyon rider - or that guy down south who goes through tires in 4K miles (aggressive riding and mostly curvy roads) would wear out the sides in no time. Since this has not been mentioned (PR4's having short life for aggressive riders) I have to wonder.....

Btw, I'm running Angel GT's and love them. But then, since I"m not an aggressive rider, I think many tires would make me satisfied.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Ok, you brought up something new, I think. I was obviously kidding around w/ my earlier comment. I also know that our mc tires are made with compounds of different hardness - hard in the center and softer as you go out toward the sidewalls for increased grip in turns.

So you are saying (at least for your style of riding - mostly slab) that the PR4's wear evenly? This suggests that for a canyon rider - or that guy down south who goes through tires in 4K miles (aggressive riding and mostly curvy roads) would wear out the sides in no time. Since this has not been mentioned (PR4's having short life for aggressive riders) I have to wonder.....

Btw, I'm running Angel GT's and love them. But then, since I"m not an aggressive rider, I think many tires would make me satisfied.
My rides are mostly flat also and I don't carve corners aggressively either. The PR4's develop a flat spot for me just like all tires I've used. It may not be as big of a flat spot and it may depend on riding style (I've gotten more conservative as I've gotten older), but it's still there.

Bike
ST1300 Pan European
I have a set of road 4 too. There are the best tires I have ever put on my bike.
And I live at the home of Michelin (Clermont Ferrand) ! ;)

I put a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Tires on my 2003 ST1300 earlier this week and rode the bike in pouring rain today.
I am very happy with the tires performance on all road surfaces. They are just amazingly good on wet surfaces!

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I have run through 4 sets of the 4's. Honestly can't say that I got any better mileage out of them. 5-6,000 miles on the back and 8-9,000 on the front. The thing that I noticed most is the way the front wears. At about half wore out, they seem to become very trapezoid shaped, resulting in a reluctance to turn in and then once they do, they "fall" in if that makes sense.

Since the 4's, I have tried a Metzler Z06 front/ Z01 back combo (no Z01 in 18") and liked them although again, not much better mileage but the 06 front wore better. Currently I have Pirelli Angels on and after 4,000 miles they look like they may work better than what I have tried before. The next 4,000 will tell for sure.

Rod

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
... At about half wore out, they seem to become very trapezoid shaped, resulting in a reluctance to turn in and then once they do, they "fall" in if that makes sense...

Rod
Yes, that does make sense. I noticed the same thing which makes is hard to hold a perfect line around a curve. It's not like it's not holding a good line, more like it "feels" like it isn't.

I usually keep the tires at about 45 PSI (instead of the standard suggested 42 PSI) because I often have a passenger and that seems to help a bit.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #

Other way around, I avoid riding slab wherever possible so typically wear out the sidewalls long before the centre, the PR4 GT is the only tire I've ever had that wears close to even.

nokesy

2007 ST1300A
Bike
2012 RSS Spyder
I still got tread on mine after 20,000 but the fronts are cupped and need to replace them. Probably do the back as well. I have had dunlops, pr2, 3 and 4s on my bike i find the 4s the best by far for rain (I seem to ride in that stuff for days at a time) and they are still good on the dry road when I see it.

Top Bottom