Helmets RF1200 - Too Noisy - Need rec for quiet helmet

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
http://www.quietridehelmets.com

Thanks, Kip. This could well be my next helmet. I've often wondered why the military pilots' helmet style ear muffs/cups haven't been incorporated into motorcycle helmets. I wore this design 1968-1986. I believe it's still in use.

I'm curious about the little air bladders between the muffs and inside of the helmet shell. Where is the little air pump bulb/release mounted and how easy is it to get to, and operate with riding gloves on? Do you inflate the bladders each time you put your helmet on and deflate before removing?

The US Army flight helmet I used had simple springs behind the muffs, the muffs being withdrawn/compressed against the shell during helmet mounting by drawstrings attached to the muff which were routed through holes in the shell and grasped by ones hands. Hmm....

I may send an email to see if they have a retail space at the Minnesota address. Or at least accept visitors to see and touch the products.

Regards, John

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Response to John- Post 22.

The home page of their web-site shows the bladder pump and release valve. If you go to one of the helmet specific pages there are better pictures showing where they are and how big they are.
Here are some samples from their web-site to give you an idea of size and location. You have to inflate and deflate with every install and removal of the helmet or it will be painful on your ears.

FF2__26121.1414777089.1280.1280.jpg home-fullface2-lg.jpg

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Thanks, Andrew. Doh... I missed that completely. I did look around the website, esp. looking to see if my J&M speakers and mic could be fitted; apparently so...

Kip, what's your feelings about durability? Ventilation? Do you have a sound system installed? CB radio? TIA

John

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Response to John- Post 22.

The home page of their web-site shows the bladder pump and release valve. If you go to one of the helmet specific pages there are better pictures showing where they are and how big they are.
Here are some samples from their web-site to give you an idea of size and location. You have to inflate and deflate with every install and removal of the helmet or it will be painful on your ears.
When I checked this out after reading the thread about it, I noted that they are considering moving the air pump into the helmet. Not sure where, but 'inside'. I asked about the effect on your head of the pump being on the outside of the helmet in a crash (if you impact that side of the helmet) and received no answer. Also, a review of the first model said the comm system was not very good. I think they are planning to come up with a modular design, too. This is a brand new company and they are refining their designs.

http://www.quietridehelmets.com

Thanks, Kip. This could well be my next helmet. I've often wondered why the military pilots' helmet style ear muffs/cups haven't been incorporated into motorcycle helmets. I wore this design 1968-1986. I believe it's still in use.
I've wondered why it has taken so long for motorcycle helmets (as a group) to get interested in hearing protection. For that matter, it has only been relatively recently that shop vacuums have started to have mufflers on them. I guess we he-men are expected to loose our hearing.....

Bike
2006 ST1300
I see that Quiet Ride sells a kit to retrofit your helmet with the inflatable earmuffs as well. I am due for a new crash hat, and have kinda decided on an RF-1200, on advice of my sister, who wears the same size as me, and says hers is MUCH more quiet than her old helmet ( Scorpion EXO 700, which I also wear now). The retrofit kit sounds like it might be an interesting project-I love to listen to music while riding, and this might make it easier. I currently wear Comply foam buds on my earbuds, which works pretty well, but these ( and a quieter helmet) might make it even better.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Interesting. I've been thinking about a new helmet for a few months. If the bladders work with speakers that would be great.

I changed out my Chatterbox bluetooth headset with bluetooth plugphones because I couldn't really hear music with the Chatterbox and earplugs. Without earplugs the wind noise is to much and although the Chatterbox worked just fine with volume control I would prefer to block out more wind noise and keep the music at a lower level. Forget about trying to talk with the plugphones if you needed to take a phone call, you would have to pull over to be heard.

I can't see the website right now but I would want a modular or a retrofit to a current helmet.

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
I am going with a Arai Signet-Q Pro-Tour helmet and they have two different head shapes for their helmets. They have round and then more of an egg shaped one. I suggest getting your size and all at a local shop before buying online. They are rated some of the safest helmets out there and are quiet. They're not the cheapest helmet, but you are getting what you pay for, and in my opinion the helmet is the most important armor piece.

14470440_10154568019544834_4493727907468091344_n.jpg

Also, the shade visor is on the outside instead of within the helmet, which does not take away from the shell.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Does anyone have experience with both the Arai Quantum-X and the Shoei RF1200?

I'd like to know if the Quantum-X is any quieter than the RF1200.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I suggest getting your size and all at a local shop before buying online.
If we all do this, it won't be long before all the brick and mortar stores are gone and we have to buy online - and guess at the size. Retailers have a hard time competing with online vendor, lets not take advantage of them. My own personal rule is that if I shop at a bricks and mortar store, I'll buy that item only from a bricks and mortar store - I won't compare their prices to online pricing. But, if I start online, I'll not go to a B n M store to see what the item is like.

Bike
2009 ST 1300
Kip, what's your feelings about durability? Ventilation? Do you have a sound system installed? CB radio? TIA
John as far as durability I think the helmet and its components are durable I have used it for one riding season with no complaints. A buddy of mine also has the same helmet and he is satisfied with it too. As far as the sound system goes it is in the earmuffs audio quality isn't top shelf but it is satisfactory. There are are replacement speakers available for better audio/music sound. It is indeed easy to use with gloves as far as pumping up the bladders and releasing the bladders. And if you forget to release the bladders and remove the helmet it's not painful just snug . I believe airflow is adequate last summer across the state of Wyoming we had 100? and the heat on my head was not a problem. Overall very satisfied with the product. good luck on your search. Kip

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
After trying on a number of different helmets in the last several days, I decided to just keep the RF1200. None of the helmets were as comfortable or fit my noggin near as well as the 1200. I made my decision today after taking a 5 hour ride with the helmet. I found that after a while, I just became use to the elevated noise.

It would have been nice had the RF1200 been as quiet as my 1100 but given the excellent fit, and other features of the RF series, I just decided to live with it.

Top Bottom