Helmets RF1200 - Too Noisy - Need rec for quiet helmet

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Ordered a new Shoei RF1200 at the Dallas MC show at a 20% discount. It was to be a replacement for my RF1100 that I've had for 5 or 6 years. Did my first ride with the RF1200 today and though it was very comfortable, I was shocked by the amount of wind noise! My RF1100 is very quiet but the RF1200 is so noisy I'm going to return it. They really screwed this model up.

I need a recommendation for a quiet helmet that has the same head shape characteristics as the RF1100.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have a Shoei Qwest which is the quietest helmet I've owned, but it's hard to find at shops now. In reviews the complaint was that the Qwest didn't breath well enough. I thought the airflow was OK, not great. The GT-Air is supposed to be its updated replacement and is supposed to have better air flow. I also like removable liner for the GT-AIR. A couple of reviews say the GT-AIR is quiet, here's one: http://thehelmetman.com/shoei-gt-air-helmet-review/ Next year I'll need a replacement and the GT-AIR is at the top of my list.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
That answers a question I was about to ask. I had an RF prior to my Qwest and remember the RF being really quiet. The Qwest is comfortable but noisy. I was wondering whether I should try a 1200 or a GT-Air, and this makes me lean GT.

--Mark

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have a Qwest. Bought it at CycleGear 3yrs ago. It is rather noisy with the windscreen full down. Really quiet full up. I do ride with ear plugs always.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have a Qwest. Bought it at CycleGear 3yrs ago. It is rather noisy with the windscreen full down. Really quiet full up. I do ride with ear plugs always.
Yea, when the wind blows directly under the chin bar and up into the helmet it gets loud. Using that chin guard helps this, but that thing is a pain in the @$$. Do you know of a helmet doesn't get loud when the wind is under the chin bar, there might be one?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yea, when the wind blows directly under the chin bar and up into the helmet it gets loud. Using that chin guard helps this, but that thing is a pain in the @$$. Do you know of a helmet doesn't get loud when the wind is under the chin bar, there might be one?
I do have the chin guard/bug net installed. I did remove it briefly last summer when I rode to Boise and temps hit 105. I do not know of a quiet helmet, but I have only had my endorsement since 2010 and riding daily since 2014. I am sure others who have been riding longer and have replaced helmets would have a better answer. I think "quiet" is in the ear of the wearer:bk13::D

thekaz

haz gone feral
I am in the same boat ... currently have an RF1100 and heard the RF1200 is far to noisy :confused: I should have made the shoei factory rep put his money where his mouth was when he said the RF1200 was the quietest in their line up at the bike show LOL :eek:
I like the GT but it does not have a yellow visor.....so maybe switching brands :(

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Ordered a new Shoei RF1200 at the Dallas MC show at a 20% discount. It was to be a replacement for my RF1100 that I've had for 5 or 6 years. Did my first ride with the RF1200 today and though it was very comfortable, I was shocked by the amount of wind noise! My RF1100 is very quiet but the RF1200 is so noisy I'm going to return it. They really screwed this model up.

I need a recommendation for a quiet helmet that has the same head shape characteristics as the RF1100.
Mick, I also use an RF1100. I don't know about noise since I haven't ridden it one, but the Kabuto line of helmets fit me very well. I have a really hard time finding helmets that fit me as well as the RF1100 but the Kabuto's that I have tried (can't remember exact models) impressed me with their fit. They seem to be a quality helmet with good venting and I wouldn't be surprised if they were reasonably quiet too.

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
I have a Shoei Qwest which is the quietest helmet I've owned, but it's hard to find at shops now. In reviews the complaint was that the Qwest didn't breath well enough. I thought the airflow was OK, not great. The GT-Air is supposed to be its updated replacement and is supposed to have better air flow. I also like removable liner for the GT-AIR. A couple of reviews say the GT-AIR is quiet, here's one: http://thehelmetman.com/shoei-gt-air-helmet-review/ Next year I'll need a replacement and the GT-AIR is at the top of my list.
All I can say is "Earplugs". I think you are going to have to spend quite a bit more to get a quieter helmet. The bonus on the RF1200 is that you can get the Transitions shield for it. Have it on my Bell Revolver. Don't even use the inner sun shield anymore. Bonus with earplugs, my Sena sounds better and it drowns out the local Harley straight pipes.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Schuberth helmets are sound rated - but pricey. The C3 pro offers 40% more ventilation than the C3 (so they say) but 40% x 0 still is not much. To be fair, I have not tried the pro, but I like my C3 (even with low air flow inside). There is also a thread somewhere about a new helmet with inflatable bladders inside that is supposed to be ultra quiet. IIRC it runs in the $3 to 500 dollar range.

Bike
2009 ST 1300
Mick this is the helmet I tried last year. I have used it for a full riding season here in the great White North and I must say as the title suggests it is very quiet. Information can be found at this link. quietridehelmet.com When I first looked into this helmet I had reservations about ordering online. I spoke with Al who was very helpful and he assured me if it did not fit the way I wanted it to just put it back in the box and send it back to him.

And if I had to replace it I would buy it again. Just my 02 cents. Sabrekip Quiet Ride Helmet

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
+1 for the Schuberth quietest helmet I have used. I got my C3 from Revzilla on sale for around $300 they are usually much more but they are a great helmet.

Top Bottom