4.000 revs

hi, a little advice please, I have 2004 pan-European 1300, when starting it from cold it revved to 4,000 revs and won't go down from that, even when it gets warm. any clues to the fault, please cheers

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
My guess is a bad thermostat, but I stayed at a Holiday inn express last night!

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
hi, a little advice please, I have 2004 pan-European 1300, when starting it from cold it revved to 4,000 revs and won't go down from that, even when it gets warm. any clues to the fault, please cheers
FI bikes have a thing called a wax unit that is plumbed into the coolant system, and this shrinks when coolant is cold and expands when hot, and is used to move the starter valves to increase the cold idle speed. On the ST13 this looks to be located where the idle speed adjuster cable is connected to the FI system.

The coolant plumbing for this is a small diameter and so prone to clogging. So you could try using a radiator flushing chemical in the cooling system first, but if that doesn't help then pulling the wax unit and hoses out for cleaning would be next. Looks like these are accessible without lifting the throttle bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
Wax thermal unit is probably the problem. Mine got stopped up on a new 2012 ST1300. The dealer removed it and flushed the system and cleaner the unit. I was on the interstate doing my first freeway run with 600 mile on the bike on a very cold morning. I went to exit and the bike was stuck at 4k rpm. I had to hit the kill switch and pull to the side. As soon as the cold air stopped blowing thru the engine the wax unit melted and it was good to go. My dealer fixed it for free and after riding 14k miles no more problems. This is a known issue and it is a small passage so it does not take much to stop it up. Flush the system out and clean the unit.

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
I sold my 04 about 7 years ago but it had the same issue that IS adjustable in the Wax Thermal Unit as I remember.
I believe it was a nut/flat tip screw driver type adjuster and the nut was smaller than 8mm. I adjusted the fast idle out completely even from dead cold startup.

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
You might also want to pull the air box and clean the joints in the linkages between the wax engine and the throttle bodies. I had a problem with mine where once in awhile I wouldn't hold idle when cold that hasn't recurred since I made a habit of cleaning the linkages whenever I had an opportunity.

--Mark

Top Bottom