ST cutting out after idling for a minute.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Hi Folks

Been looking through the old posts about cutting out but haven't seen anything that matches my situation. One member gave me some great information but his situation still didn't match mine. Thanks Jim CG!

The bike has 60000kms on her. This past summer I noticed that it would cut out after idling for a minute. ReStarts immediately after it happens. No black smoke funny noises or flashing lights. If I'm stopped due to road construction and again let it idle for more than a minute, she cuts out unless I keep a touch of throttle on.

So.......comments...suggestions?

TIA

Clipper

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Some thoughts: sync the throttle bodies, check spark plugs, fuel filter replacement, check vacuum hoses (clean 5 way T), and check emission control system (including the hoses).

Mine has done that several times in the past when I got some contaminated gas and now it's starting to happen with good gas, but not all the time. I also started smelling some gas vapors occasionally, especially when I was in Colorado at a much higher altitude than were I live.

I've discovered some kinked vapor lines from the evap canister to the throttle bodies. Additionally, my evap canister got plugged up. I checked the ohms for the Pair Solenoid Valve and Purge Control Solenoid Valve according to the manual and they're good. I've replaced the fuel filter and the vacuum hoses with good 3.5 mm silicon hose and cleaned the 5 way T which helped but didn't completely solve the issue.

When all the parts come in I'm going to replace all the 4.5 mm and 3.5 mm emission hoses since they're showing serious wear, replace the evap canister, and perform a throttle body sync (Just got a Motion Pro Carburetor Synchronizer).

Bike
ST1300 2012
Just a thought.... Has the idle adjust turned over time? Mine was running fine at first until it warmed up... Then I noticed it didn't like to idle when hot. I finally noticed the tach was reading pretty low when it happened. A slight tweak to the idle adjust screw to add a few revs and she has run fine ever since!

Top Bottom