2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT - New Ride

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Thought I would supply an update to THIS thread.

My experience with the rental BMW last summer lead to me finally get a bike. I had originally meant to rent another BMW in the winter to see how things went. Instead, I found another bike that had a relatively flat seat, a 2009 Kawasaki Versys 650 which I bought for a good price August of last year. I was almost ecstatic that I was able to find a Japanese bike that would work for me. I put the bike away and waited for winter. During that waiting period, I added an Air Hawk seat cushion that had a channel right down the middle.

When winter temperatures finally arrived, I did several long rides that proved my theory about temperature and it's affect on my neurological problem. I had absolutely zero problems riding it, no matter how long I stayed in the saddle. Persistence finally paid off! Because of the hot weather down here my riding season is only about 5 to 6 months of the year but at least I can be on two wheels again. Wahoo!

After riding the '09 Versys (non-ABS) for a couple of months and really enjoying it, I had something happen that made me decide to get an ABS model of the the bike. This something was having a buzzard hidden from my view in tall grass decide to take off right into my path just as I neared where he was.

Despite my knowing (through theory and especially practice) how to quickly stop in an emergency using the front brake in combination with the rear, I wound up locking up the front brake for just a split second. I let go of the front but Mr. Buzzard was still in my path and rapidly approaching, so I hit it again with the same result. What happened then almost resulted in me going down at 50 mph. As best I can tell, the second time I let off the front brakes, the front wheel was pointed ever so slightly off center when it locked up, and it suddenly caught traction when I released. Rather than resulting in a front wheel high side, the front end went into a doozie of a tank slapper. That's the closest I've ever come to going down at speed. The steering finally settled down and I was able to continue on my way. This proved in my mind what I've always stated... you can practice all you want but when it comes to those "oh crap!" moments, you're liable to hit the brakes way too hard. ABS prevents you from getting into trouble when this happens.

During the continuation of my ride that day, I remembered all the times that I had touted the safety benefits of ABS brakes on a motorcycle. In the past, I went out of my way to buy ST1100's and 1300's with ABS brakes. I even had them on a Bandit I owned, so I determined to get an ABS bike since it looked like I'd be back in the saddle for the foreseeable future.

About a week and a half after my ride, here's what showed up in my garage, a brand new 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT. Nice and light, quite flickable, with ABS brakes and an engine that has a surprising amount of torque for a 650. Since I doubt I'll ever be doing transcontinental travel again, it's the perfect bike for my situation:

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm glad you found a bike that works for you. Congratulations!

Bike
VStrom 650
Mick,
Nice looking Versys.
A mate had the older 1000 and loved it.
Weather protection looks ok too, but if high temps are your problem you definitely don't need a Pan.
Enjoy the ride.
Upt'North.

Bike
'04 ST1300 - Blue
I was flipping back and forth between the 650LT and the Honda NC700x before I found d a used ST1300 at a dealership. Changed my mind and found a nice used one and don't regret the decision but have certainly thought that the 650LT looks like so much fun. Probably would get me in trouble...

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Love mine.

Very easy to make comfortable. Let the farkling begin.
Mike

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Let the farkling begin.
I've already begun the process. Started out by installing a switched circuit for my heated clothing, SW Motech crashbars, Givi XS320 tank ring mounted tank bag, Motowerks lowering kit w/ shortened kickstand & front forks lowered, MagKnight magnetic tank protector, and an Air Hawk. Next to come will be a round Datel voltmeter, and a mounting setup for my Garmin:

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Mick, so glad you found something that you can back to riding. I'll be looking at these when the Wing gets to be too much.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Great looking bike Mick, I like the color.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
You love it but you just said the other day you talked about getting rid of it for Yamaha. Bug your a bike who!$ ;).
Hey Mick good looking bike.
I never mentioned getting rid of it. Just adding the Tenere to the stable. Besides, the Versys is too much fun for roads around here. It will become my hooligan-touring bike.....new genre of motorcycle riding.
Mike

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I never mentioned getting rid of it. Just adding the Tenere to the stable. Besides, the Versys is too much fun for roads around here. It will become my hooligan-touring bike.....new genre of motorcycle riding.
Mike
Oh great! You aren't helping me lol

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Besides, the Versys is too much fun for roads around here. It will become my hooligan-touring bike.....new genre of motorcycle riding.
Mike
Know what you mean. Even with the suspension lowered on mine, it does great cooking the corners :) .

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Love the bike, and for some reason, I really like the orange color. I want more bikes than I have room to put them.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
You're gonna love your Versys. Great motor, handling and ergos. Yours comes from the factory much as I set up my '08 and yours gets a bunch of refinements, ABS notably. If I was in the market for a middle weight bike today a Versys would still be way high on my list. I rode 700 miles home from Ohio in a day, played on roads from West Virgina to Pennsylvania to Vermont to Quebec, and the bike just goes and goes. Have fun!

Attachments

Top Bottom