Pic of my almost ready to go Crosstourer

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
Got most of the basic farkly stuff done... Just need a skid plate and crash bar. Ready for a test ride, RTE, or something suitably long.

painted panniers b.jpg

Bike
2010 ST1300
...Like....:yes: :yes: :yes:
I want this bike with the DCT...
Honda had one at the MC show on rollers. i got aboard, and fired it up (yes, indoors) and 'rode it' up to 60 mph. The DCT is indeed strange because its an automatic, although you can 'paddle' shift it. It will surely take some work to get used to it.

OP
OP
Stump

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
I plan on writing up a quick piece about the bike after my first longish ride. So far it fits and has the power you'd expect from a ride thats 100 lbs lighter and 10 Hp more than the ST. Nothing like 10 to 90 in 2nd gear! BTW, no DCT, just a manual.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Nice, will be waiting on your evaluation.. looks great.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I plan on writing up a quick piece about the bike after my first longish ride. So far it fits and has the power you'd expect from a ride thats 100 lbs lighter and 10 Hp more than the ST. Nothing like 10 to 90 in 2nd gear! BTW, no DCT, just a manual.
The 1200X motor and the ST1300 are uncannily close in power output and output characteristics. The X motor is a great engine for the way a lot of us ride.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?118630-What-does-the-VFR1200X-CrossTourer-and-the-ST1300-have-in-common&highlight=

OP
OP
Stump

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
The 1200X motor and the ST1300 are uncannily close in power output and output characteristics.
I've said it before; there's good validity in seeing the VFR1200X as the replacement for the ST1300. Having ridden the VFR in a demo situation, I became obsessed, lol! And so I bought one - now I'm faced with waiting a couple more months for the great awakening that is spring... Cabin fever is very bad this year, sigh.

Bike
05 ST
...it'll be the replacement for my ST1300....or sit along side of.
It'll have the DCT....and give that added light off-road capability....not hard-core trails riding....just enough to not have to stop at the pasture gate when going somewhere and watch everybody else going on.

OP
OP
Stump

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
Did a 300 mile ride this weekend. A little bit of Interstate, highway, and backroads. The weather was reasonable, being a touch cool but nothing that being ATGATT didn't handle. The VFRX handled all the road types just fine, and my average speed over the distance was equal to the ST's which wasn't the case with the WeeXT. The Lil'Strom was consistantly 5 mph slower on any trip.

I noted that the saddle sucked.. but no worse than the Suzuki and lots better than the ST's. It is long enough to allow wiggling and sliding so I didn't ever feel I needed to do any changes to make the miles. I'm thinking a sheep skin pad may work. The pegs/saddle/handle bar configuration works for me, actually slightly looser on the knee bend making me happy and my knees very happy. The handle bars are a bit wide but not a cause of discomfort. The knuckle guards don't help with the wind and my thumb knuckles got very cold.... I'm gonna hafta think on it but I think some creative use of rubber edging will work to decrease the wind across my knuckles.

The suspension works but is harsh on old bumpy roads. Better than the ST's but not a supple as the Strom's on the tar snakes and frost heaves. On the Interstate I didn't notice anything bad at all and the bike stayed straight and true up to 110. I really liked the Crosstourer's planted feel at speed even around and passing big rigs. 70 to 90 is a problem.. You can't tell the difference in speed except for the speedometer reading. :D The bike handles the corners much easier than the ST ever did. It's comfortable and predictable in corners making is easy to go to the edges of the rear tire. It really feels lighter that it is in the corners.

The fuel mileage will take some getting used to... only in the low 40's so far. Hope breaking in will change that to the good some. But 200 miles between stops is fine for me on long trips as I usually stop at 150 mile intervals anyway. The fuel tank itself is wide but unobtrusive and my tankbag sits right where its easy to see the map window, easy to use my water bladder and easy to move to get at the fuel cap.

Still breaking it in.. Got another coupla hundred miles to the thousand mile mark yet. I'm liking the bike and really looking forward to some long miles this summer.

Top Bottom