Engine sound

Bike
93 1100 st
When my motor is running kinda sounds like a sewing machine from the back right hand side of motor has proper oil level now odometer shows 9,127 miles on it it's a 93 1100st I just got it plastic is kinda rough has a new back tire I did see the old one pro had taken off burned down to the cords I am sure they were doing a lot of burn outs could sound be valve out of adjustment or timing chain maybe ? I'm also on the hunt for the mirror for both sides with blinker as both mine are broke off

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
ST11's don't have a timing chain, they have a toothed rubber belt, the same as many cars. If you are concerned about a noise, it might be best to post up a video clip. Valves tend to get quieter when out of adjustment as the clearance closes up rather than opening.

OP
OP
Bike
93 1100 st
I don't know how to post a video but thank you for the reply

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
You can upload a clip to You Tube and then insert the link here. The icon second from right is the best to use for the insertion. Like this:

[video=youtube;NsPRb40rE5Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsPRb40rE5Y[/video]

Bike
2010 ST1300
Not clear what kind of sound you are talking about. Every sewing machine I have ever seen/heard just hums quietly along - don't I wish my ST sounded like an old Singer....

OP
OP
Bike
93 1100 st
Mine actually don't sound much louder then yours I think but I'll try to post a video asap

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Probably normal - the straight-cut timing gears make a sound like that. The timing belt drives a set of straight-cut gears that mesh with a straight-cut gear that is part of the camshaft. I wondered about the sound when I got my ST1100 too. But a sound clip of another ST1100 sounded just like mine.

See this pic : http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1998/ST1100+A/CAMSHAFT/parts.html

Actually, I think it's kinda a cool sound for a bike to make - about as far from a HD as possible. Did a HD friend tell you your bike sounds like a sewing machine ??

If the sound bothers you, get a pair of earplugs from Walgreen's.
:)

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Please specify "back right hand side of motor"...
Right engine head or farther back, like gear-box?

Right now I'd assume loose valve clearance at #3...

OP
OP
Bike
93 1100 st
Please specify "back right hand side of motor"...
Right engine head or farther back, like gear-box?

Right now I'd assume loose valve clearance at #3...
Its towards the rear almost sounds like near gear box just from putting my head near and trying to listen

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I am sure they were doing a lot of burn outs
This makes me think the PO may have caused some transmission damage, if in fact the bike was abused in this manner. Have you actually had it out for a ride yet?

OP
OP
Bike
93 1100 st
This makes me think the PO may have caused some transmission damage, if in fact the bike was abused in this manner. Have you actually had it out for a ride yet?
Yes rides out just fine no problems at all noise is at idle up to 1500 or so rpm then can't hear it

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Ever since I changed the cam belt, the belt noise is more noticeable (or I'm more sensitive to it) and more pronounced at 1000-1500 rpm than above. I've checked and re-checked the tensioner but its set correctly, so I concluded that the new Gates belt is just noisier than the 95000km well-worn Honda belt.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I had a strange noise on my bike. Took it to a Honda dealer and their head mechanic (who is 'highly regarded' and 'people bring their bikes here from neighboring states') rode it. He went after the front of the bike and completely missed the correct diagnosis. Another mechanic went over my bike with his stethoscope - putting the metal probe on different parts of the engine before he located the loudest source at the rear final drive. I'm sold - going to buy one of these stethoscopes asap. You might pick one up (they are cheap) or use a long screw driver and put the handle against your ear. This might localize the noise better.

OP
OP
Bike
93 1100 st
Ever since I changed the cam belt, the belt noise is more noticeable (or I'm more sensitive to it) and more pronounced at 1000-1500 rpm than above. I've checked and re-checked the tensioner but its set correctly, so I concluded that the new Gates belt is just noisier than the 95000km well-worn Honda belt.
Using a long wooden handle screw driver I used it as a stethoscope and noise seems to be from below the heads in the block it self just standing beside it is more noticeable from non kick stand side

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Are you using the same ear on both sides ?? Maybe you have better hearing in one ear, compared to the other, and it just seems like it's louder on one side.

Top Bottom