Help please, Lost my keys to my 1991 honda st1100. Where do I find the KeyCode

Bike
Honda ST1100
I lost my keys and need the KeyCode number for a locksmith. I preyed open the Gas Tank and the only number I found in there was one on the underside of the gas cap. I do not think this is the correct number. I can not see it anywhere else on the bike maybe someone here can help me find it without tearing into the bike. I read here that you can not use your VIN number and I read here that I can find the number after you open the gas tank lock. The number on the backside of the gas cap is 00208 There are not letters in the code which makes me believe it is the wrong one?

Thanks so much!

Bob :confused: :(

Bike
2010 ST1300
Don't know about finding the code on the bottom of the gas cap lock, but most lock cylinders need the key (or someone to pick the lock) in order to remove the cylinder. A good locksmith can take an impression (or so I have heard) and make a key. If you don't get the answer to how to find the key code on the bike here, you might try one of these suggestions. Talk to a Honda mechanic - best to make that several different ones - not all are created equal and ask them. Or call Honda and see if you can find a tech support guy who can help you. Absent the key code, carefully open the locking glove box without damaging the lock (I think this is possible) and remove the lock. Take that to a locksmith and see if he can make you a key.

Btw, if you damaged the gas cap, check out the Oberon screw in cap (there are other brands too). No more fussing with a key. Cost for this option is in the $60 to $100 range.

OP
OP
robertp039
Bike
Honda ST1100
I've been quoted a price of 250 dollars to get a key made by a local locksmith. The other one I called said if I knew the key code it would cost me only 18.50. That is why I want to find my keycode on the bike. Thanks for the help!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The three digit code is on the lock cylinder, Bob. This should help:
Honda ST1100 Archive Of Wisdom (AOW):
Ignition Key Code Info ( ST1100 ) *

http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=1861

Any Honda dealer should be able to cut a blank Honda PN key given just the code. BTDTx4 It's been a few years but it was only $7 a copy, which included the price of the key blank.

John

Last edited:

DJDixon

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just looked on my 2002 ST1100 fuel door lock. The number is on the right hand side (as mounted in the door) just a little lower than mid-point on mine. On mine, it shows 1LDXXX, where XXX is the key code (verified by my original key). I have had copies made by key code at the dealer recently, it cost $18 to have two keys cut using blanks I supplied. They work fine. I strongly suggest bringing in the lock so that you can test the keys right there so you know that they will work!!

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
Just had five keys cut by a locksmith and put 1 in each of my three riding jackets and the other two went on different key rings. I put the originals away in a safe place. I had a tag with 5 number on it and the locksmith said it was backwards from most key tags. That was good to know, the Honda dealer would already know this. Not having the key and the tag together then the first key would have been cut wrong by almost any locksmith. The Honda motorcycle key code must be read from a different direction. The number should be on the bottom of the switch if you can get to it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The other one I called said if I knew the key code it would cost me only 18.50.
You might call your local (and not so local) Honda dealers before heading out to see if they can cut a key. The two dealers nearest me cannot.

If the $18.50 price came from a locksmith that's the route I'd take over a dealer. They'd probably use steel keys instead of the cheesy Honda keys and blanks.

OP
OP
robertp039
Bike
Honda ST1100
Your saying I can find this number on the door that the lock is in? I don't think that I saw anything there? Had a locksmith come out today and he had no luck. He took the fuel door lock with him and said he will figure it out when he gets home. Thanks so much for your help!

OP
OP
robertp039
Bike
Honda ST1100
I will txt this article to the locksmith who took my fuel lock with him today. Maybe this will help him cut a key for me. He spent an hour trying different cuts but no luck so far.

DJDixon

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just looked on my 2002 ST1100 fuel door lock. The number is on the right hand side (as mounted in the door) just a little lower than mid-point on mine. On mine, it shows 1LDXXX, where XXX is the key code (verified by my original key). I have had copies made by key code at the dealer recently, it cost $18 to have two keys cut using blanks I supplied. They work fine. I strongly suggest bringing in the lock so that you can test the keys right there so you know that they will work!!
Yes, the number is on the lock itself, not on the door. Sorry if I wasn't clear...

OP
OP
robertp039
Bike
Honda ST1100
Thanks... The locksmith found a number on it and cut a key with that code and it did not work??? I think he said it was B14. Anyhow, he took the lock with him and said he will figure it out. One thing I found strange is that he can not pull up anything on an ST1100? He does pull up info on the ST1300. Don't know why he gets nothing for the ST1100?

Bike
st1300 vfr800
You need the ignition lock to get a key made . Honda uses the extra tumblers in the ignition key to ensure that is the only one that will make a key for the ignition . The numbers are on the bottom of the lock cylinder and can be cut using the code .

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
It cost me $155 to have a key made and he did just by putting the key in the lock pushing on it and filing it away. It took him maybe 45 minutes to make the first key.

Anybody-see-a-set-of-Keys

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Bob, I just called Sharon Cycle Sales just 24 miles from you ((724) 342-5378) and they can cut you a key using just the key code.

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
robertp039
Bike
Honda ST1100
Hey John, Can I use the fuel lock code or do I need to get it off the ingnection. If I need to get it off the ingnection how do I take it off? Or do I have to take it off?

Thanks

Bob

OP
OP
robertp039
Bike
Honda ST1100
Thanks for the reply.... How do I get the ignition out to see the code? I already sort of messed up my gas tank lock cover. lol

Bike
ST1100Y
STOC #
Take the handlebar plastics off (if they're still installed), unplug the ign. switch electrical connector , and on the bottom side of the top triple tree there's two torx bolts holding the switch assembly on. I 'think' they're T30's but don't quote me on that...

Frank

Top Bottom