Clutch problem

Bike
1992 ST1100
STOC #
I have a 1992 ST1100. 700 miles from home the clutch started acting up. I was getting ready to get back on the road after stopping for gas. I pulled the clutch in and it felt funny. I let it out and nothing happened. 2-3 seconds later and loud noises and bike jumped forward and stalled. If I played with rocking the bike back and forth and pulling in the clutch and letting it out eventually I got moving again. If I came to a complete stop the trouble would begin again. When I was cruising down the hiway no issue shifting and no noises. I'm thinking it is the hydraulic clutch actuator. Any ideas?

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
How far do you need to pull the clutch lever in ( measured from the end of the lever to the handgrip ) before resistance is felt ? On my bike, it's about 1/2 inch.

EDIT : Sounds like the slave piston is sticking.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
My guess is a sticky/gunked up secondary cylinder or a clog in the one on the handlebar.
I'd agree either the hydraulics are holding it off or something has gone bang inside the clutch.
Springs, plates? But if it was springs/plates you would be having consistent problems?
I'm thinking as I type, can you tell?
Upt'North.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
You may need to have the system flushed and may also require rebuild kilts for both the master and slave cylinder. There's a small pinhole in the master cylinder that may be plugged with gunk

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
simple question, but hasn't been answered. What's the fluid level look like in the master cylinder, and when is the last time it was flushed and bled? Assuming normal fluid levels and no air in the system, then I'd suspect some mechanical problem in the clutch itself, but its hard to say without seeing it.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Pinch the hydraulic line ( gently ) and then pull in the clutch lever. It should feel almost rock hard. If not, then the problem is the MC. If it is, probably a problem with the slave cylinder.

Bike
VStrom 650
Pinch the hydraulic line ( gently ) and then pull in the clutch lever. It should feel almost rock hard. If not, then the problem is the MC. If it is, probably a problem with the slave cylinder.
Good idea Jim, I shall try to remember that misery shortcut. Do you charge for good ideas?
Upt'North.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Check the rod at the clutch lever. Without lube, the rod can wear thru the brass barrel and even thru the lever. AMHIK. :)

The slave cylinder is a good guess too. While you're at it, replace the hose. Keep us poSTed.

Bike
Vstrom 650
I replaced the clutch I think around 10,000miles ago. anyway lately usually when the bike is cold when taking off up a slight incline in particular the clutch will 'squeal' unless I release it very slowly. any ideas?

STOC #
That would only apply to OEM hoses. The stainless flex hoses will not expand. Well worth it to replace the old ones with the good stuff as long as you are in the area. Those old hoses can fail internally too and plug themselves up when the rubber bits start to go.

Top Bottom