Redverz Atacama Motocycle Tent

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Well, I decided to get a larger tent, one that I could stand up in and have plenty of room to get in and out of bed, without crawling around on the ground. After much research, I decided on the Redverz Atacama. It's way larger than I need, but I honestly couldn't find a tent, where I could walk into without stooping, and I wanted one where I could sit in a full size chair. The tent is actually a big fly, with the sleeping section strapped to the inside of the fly. The sleeping section can be totally removed and the tent can be used just as a large rain fly. I purchased the optional ground cloth for the sleeping area because I knew that I needed a ground cloth, and this one clips onto the bottom of the tent and rolls up with the tent. The packed size isn't too bad for a tent of this size. Packed size is 9" x 21" and weighs around 15 lbs. There are only 3 poles, and they're all inserted into sleeves while the tent is laying flat. With the poles in place, and one end of the tent staked down, you pull on the opposite end and the whole thing stands up. Two more stakes in that end, and it's up. It takes a few more stakes and some guy lines to secure it against winds, but I believe it's fairly easy to set up, considering the size.

Without any help, I was able to set it up the first time in 14 minutes. This included figuring out that the entire tent was upside down after I unrolled it. The sleeves are color coded for the correct poles. Taking it down was only 15 minutes to get it packed away in the included stuff bag. I think that the next time will only take 10 minutes, or less, for up or down. It took a couple of tries to figure out how it needed to be rolled up, to fit in the bag.

I started to video the setup and takedown, but figured I might screw up and waste 45 minutes of everyone's time watching, if it didn't go right. There are plenty of videos of the setup on YouTube. Just search for Redverz

I purchased it, directly from Redverz, in Denver, with a simple phone call to Christine. I started the call asking if it was every discounted or went on sale and was told that the best she could do is throw in the ground cloth ($49) for the sleeping area and free UPS shipping. I also bought the awning kit, which is just 2 poles and a couple of guy lines that hold the garage door up, for additional shade area. I didn't put up the awning today, since it is threatening rain and I was in a hurry go get it down and packed away.

The next sunny day, I'll practice setting it up again, with a video. Looking forward to next camping event.

John

Click for full size image.

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Nice review! Would a ST1300 actually fit in the garage area or is it more for a dual sport/dirt bike type sized machine?
I thought about getting the ST1300 out to try it, but it was behind the camper in the garage. I've seen some pictures, a Goldwing won't fit and zip the doors.

John

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If you can put a GS w/bags in there, an ST will fit, the ST is actually more narrow.

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
If you can put a GS w/bags in there, an ST will fit, the ST is actually more narrow.
My Wee won't go through the door with the bags on. Still haven't tried the ST1300 yet.

I got to try out the Redverz in the real world the weekend at the Moonshine lunch run. I found out that it takes 2 people to erect the tent in a steady 30 MPH wind. After setting all the guy ropes, it remained rock steady. A great feature is that the guy lines are stored in individual pouches on the outside of the tent. When you need an extra guy line, just pull it out of the velcroed pouch and attach it to a peg. When packing up, just roll the line up, and put it back in it's pouch. There's no having to keep up with where you put your lines. Having room in the garage area of the tent, to put your chair and sit while putting on boots is also good. Woke up the 35 degrees and heavy frost, but was well protected and slept well.

John, I am looking for a new tent - similar issues regarding ease of standing up, etc. I don't really need to place for the bike but vestibule would be nice for changing, etc. If you were traveling solo every day - setting up and tearing down, is this the tent you would recommend?

Hope all is well, Jack

(I was not able to send PM to you a while ago and had no other way to contact to check-in so it has been a while).

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Size: good
Price: not so good

Thanks
The price only hurts once.

My old tent hurt every time I had to crawl in and out of it. Last weekend, it was nice to roll out of the sleeping bag, stand up, and then get dressed. Then, step into the garage area, where I kept my camp chair, sit down and put on boots.

Ride Safe
John

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
I got myself one of these just before last riding season. Used it several times. YES, it hurts when you hit that "BUY" button. Once. I've never put the ST in the garage because I love the luxurious vestibule. Sleeping bay is plenty spacious even when the wife meets me along the way. It is a big pack but I feel it's worth it. Life and a health issue is delaying this season but I can't wait to get it out again.

For what it's worth, my $0.02, if you don't mind the large pack it is very worth it.

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
John, I am looking for a new tent - similar issues regarding ease of standing up, etc. I don't really need to place for the bike but vestibule would be nice for changing, etc. If you were traveling solo every day - setting up and tearing down, is this the tent you would recommend?

Hope all is well, Jack

(I was not able to send PM to you a while ago and had no other way to contact to check-in so it has been a while).
Jack,
I'm not sure that this is what you want for tearing down, every day. You might want to look at the Solo version of the same tent. Whenever you're riding this direction, stop by, and we'll put the tent up in the back yard, to see if you like it. I'll have it at Suches in a couple of weeks, and I'll have it at FerrySToc next month.

John

STOC #
The Solo would be a great alternative for a single person.
I had the Expedition II and now have the Atacama. Both great tents and the Atacama has some improvements over the Expedition II
Despite its size, I always pitch it by myself. The initial expense paid for itself quite fast :cool:

Cheers,

Top Bottom