New air filter and uneven idle

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Took out the Stock filter and changed to a Hiflo HFA1911 now the idle wavers up and down slightly.
I have seen this happen at high altitudes but I'm near sea level.
The Hiflo looks almost identical to stock, has anyone had any experience with this?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I use the Hiflo and haven't had that problem on two ST1100s. How does it run without a filter and with the old filter back in? Balanced the carbs lately?

Bike
92 ST1100
Sly, the filter change just amplified what is already wrong with the bike having the idle slightly fluxuate...........idle mixtures and carb sync need to be done;).

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
It should be running a bit leaner with a new filter, if the old filter was clogged. What happens if you leave the choke on a bit ? Does that smooth out the idle ??

BTW, I use the HIFLO filter. replaced mine a while back. I think I had about 20K miles on the old filter. I could see through the old filter, but when I blew it out with some low pressure air, a lot of dust / dirt came out. From now on, I'm replacing it every 12K miles

And, exactly how many RPM's is the idle varying ??

I would check the carb sync. If that looks good, I wouldn't worry about the idle, unless it is varying a lot more than 100 RPM.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have neither the time money or inclination to swap out the filter that often. Maybe just maaaaybe if it were as easy as popping the hood on my old Chevy and pulling the top of the air cleaner...

As the filter clogs performance drops but filtration increases. Replacing the filter at that point would be like riding a new motor. :rofl1: That would be even better than the New Bike Feeling I get after an oil change! More :rofl1:

Top Bottom