OP
OP
Dave.David

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I've been thinking about helmet BT a lot, I bet you folks can help a lot. I've always had loud stereos on my large bikes but now on my St I'm thinking Bluetooth helmet but have zero experience. This helmet would seem to answer all my questions but what happens in a few years when you have to get rid of it due to crash or age? I cannot take the BT with me. Or I'm I better off getting the separate components for half helmets? Do they make a Bluetooth where anybody could hear me through the mic while I am on the highway in a half?

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I wouldn't buy the half helmet, but I might buy the full helmet that's coming soon, according to their website. It features the noise reduction technology, that if it works, would be great.

Ride Safe
John

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Personally, I prefer a BT system that I can move from helmet to helmet. Mine is mounted in my Shoei Multitec modular helmet. I use a Sena SMH10. Many (most?) use a Sena so connection with other riders is easy. I listen to music, take/make phone calls and can send/receive text messages, all through my iPhone.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Would you buy one?
A half-helmet? Maybe if I still rode a skateboard. But 3/4 is the bare minimum for me. Scorpion makes a three-piece half-helmet that I like but ultimately it's a half-helmet so it's not on the list of I Wants.

I knew Sena made a BT helmet but I didn't think it would be a half-measure. And as you say I'll take my BT to go. I haven't got one yet, but an S20 is on the list.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Wouldn't buy a half helmet. Two years ago I did a slow speed, low side and did a face plant in the dirt. The chin bar saved my face.

I agree with PAULCB about moving the BT between helmets. It gives me the option to borrow the wife's SMH10 on long trips so one can be charging while I use the other.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Buy the Sena 20S.

Buy a real helmet, either full face or modular. After all, how much do you value your brain.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Personally, I prefer a BT system that I can move from helmet to helmet. Mine is mounted in my Shoei Multitec modular helmet. I use a Sena SMH10. Many (most?) use a Sena so connection with other riders is easy. I listen to music, take/make phone calls and can send/receive text messages, all through my iPhone.
I would shy away from any helmet offering an all-in-one solution. I prefer to buy audio from those that specialize in audio, helmets from those that specialize in helmets, etc.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I would shy away from any helmet offering an all-in-one solution. I prefer to buy audio from those that specialize in audio, helmets from those that specialize in helmets, etc.
I'm with Ray.

Bike
ST1300
So I bought one of these a month ago. I've worn 1/2 helmets for 25+ years with out any issues, including one major crash. The way I looked at it was you get a Sena & helmet for the price of the Sena unit. The Calvary, good helmet, comfortable, fits well. Priced at $299 + tax on sale. You will have issues hearing anything at speeds over 50mph, road noise. Bought NoNoise, noise canceling, earplugs after the shop where I got the helmet recommended them. They made a world of difference, with the side panels on the helmet I can hear music just fine. I haven't tried to have a phone conversation yet, kinda why I ride, to disconnect.

As to the comments about buying a helmet from a BT maker and not a helmet maker. The helmet industry is like any other, they buy blanks from manufacturers, lowest bidders and finish them out with their name on them. How much difference is there between a $200 helmet and a $800 helmet when both meet DOT standards? I think my first FF helmet cost $40 of course that was in 1978.

Currently Cycle Gear has Bilt Helmets, both modular and full face, with built in Sena units on sale for $229, that's less than the Sena unit itself. I tried several of these out the other day, sizing runs 1-2 sizes small. I normally wear a medium but the Bilt helmets I need an XL or XXL. Currently undecided on whether to get one but probably will.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I hate to nit-pick, but I am pretty sure the name of the product is the Sena Cavalry (not Calvary).

I guess, if things don't go well and you crash and hit your half-protected head....you could see Calvary while wearing what is left of your Cavalry....

Yeah, OK - I'll stop now.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm curious as to which Sena or equivalent is built into the Bilt Helmets.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Since we are nitpicking about helmet safety, I can remember when having a Snell Certified helmet gave a reasonable assurance that the helmet was tested to a higher than DOT minimum standard. Helmet manufacturers applied for the Snell Certification. When a helmet has DOT only rating on it, it simply means that the manufacturer believes that it meets the DOT minimum standards and is not subject to any third party testing, such as Snell. Having a DOT sticker does not mean that the helmet has been tested by the DOT either. It's placed there by the manufacturer on an honor system. So, in my opinion, the DOT sticker cannot be relied upon for your own safety.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Since we are nitpicking about helmet safety, I can remember when having a Snell Certified helmet gave a reasonable assurance that the helmet was tested to a higher than DOT minimum standard. Helmet manufacturers applied for the Snell Certification. When a helmet has DOT only rating on it, it simply means that the manufacturer believes that it meets the DOT minimum standards and is not subject to any third party testing, such as Snell. Having a DOT sticker does not mean that the helmet has been tested by the DOT either. It's placed there by the manufacturer on an honor system. So, in my opinion, the DOT sticker cannot be relied upon for your own safety.
I once watched the salesman behind the counter at a local HD shop place DOT stickers onto skid lids and Nazi style helmets as they were purchased. So, I suspect your comments are quite accurate.

Zaphod

“Vell, Zaphod’s just zis guy, you know?”
Bike
2016 Goldwing F6B
STOC #
As to the comments about buying a helmet from a BT maker and not a helmet maker. The helmet industry is like any other, they buy blanks from manufacturers, lowest bidders and finish them out with their name on them.
Not if it’s an Arai.

Top Bottom