Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing OEM Taillight Bulbs w/LED's

Bike
    '06 ST1300
    My Gallery

Replacing OEM Taillight Bulbs w/LED's

Which LED's are you using? Anyone have any pics and videos of their LED tail ends? I have a Whelen Brake/tail/turn LED strip light and a set of hyperlites. I'd like to brighten up the stock bulbs as well.
    '06 ST1300
    Easternbeaver PC8, MCL Fuse Box Mount, Stebel Horn, Auxbeam 60 watt 5" LED lights w/ Dick Seng Mounts, Whelen B/T/T Strip Light, Hyperlites, Givi E460 Top Box, Throttlemeister, Tailbrights, Bike Quip Flip Top Tinted Windscreen, V4 Badges, BMW Grips

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '06 ST1300
    My Gallery

Re: Replacing OEM Taillight Bulbs w/LED's

Replaced my taillight bulbs with red JDMastar LED's. Also replaced the turn signal bulbs with JDMASTAR amber. Here's a picture of the running lights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _20170222_210711.jpg  

SoCal Lane Splitting Commuter SupraSabre's Avatar
    Bike
    12/10/04/04 ST 1300s
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by st11ray View Post
    Replaced my taillight bulbs with red JDMastar LED's. Also replaced the turn signal bulbs with JDMASTAR amber. Here's a picture of the running lights.
    Looks good!
    Bob - STOC 5901 -- >300K Miles on ST1300s - ZERO Tipovers
    2012 ST1300 -14,000 miles, 2010 - 65,000 miles , 2006 -Basketcase
    2004 ST1300 X2/#1 - 37,000 -needs waterpump & #2 30,000 miles
    2005 ST1300 - 174,300 miles - sold

Bike
    '05 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I also would like to brighten up the tail lights on my ST. Photos don't always give a true indication of the light pattern. So with that being said, do you feel that the LED actually gave you a brighter tail light?
    Michael Heck
    '05 ST1300
    STOC: 664
    IBA: 61220
    "I know I was born, I know that I will die, the in between is mine" Pearl Jam

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '06 ST1300
    My Gallery

Much brighter than stock. I put red bulbs instead of white in the brake light. I just hope that the red ones light up the license plate enough. I haven't looked at it from a distance in the dark. It cost me $57 to replace all 4 in the back.

Bike
    2003 ST1300 ABS
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by st11ray View Post
    Much brighter than stock. I put red bulbs instead of white in the brake light. I just hope that the red ones light up the license plate enough. I haven't looked at it from a distance in the dark. It cost me $57 to replace all 4 in the back.
    Nice bright lights! I have never been happy with the tail lights on my ST. I have LEDs on my other bikes, the Ducati came stock with them.

I would try to figure out how to illuminate the plates with white lights. I know there are some LED license plate bolts that accomplish this. When I was a deputy sheriff years ago, the license plate on a vehicle was one of the first places I was taught to look at for any obstruction, absence of a light, or a light other than white. This could give probable cause for an officer to pull someone over, at least in TN.

John Carruth, STOC #375
    2003 ST1300 ABS, 2011 KLR 650
    2012 Monster 1100 EVO, 2017 Harley Road Glide Special

Bike
    2005 St1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I put a small white strip right above the licensce, under the housing. I also blocked off the clear lens with silver foil to reflect the red back up and out of the housing.
    1 drop in reverse, so is that a minus 1? 205/50-17 Goodyear TripleTred, 130/70-18 Bridgestone BT-45 (rear)
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '06 ST1300
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jmcarruth View Post
    Nice bright lights! I have never been happy with the tail lights on my ST. I have LEDs on my other bikes, the Ducati came stock with them.

I would try to figure out how to illuminate the plates with white lights. I know there are some LED license plate bolts that accomplish this. When I was a deputy sheriff years ago, the license plate on a vehicle was one of the first places I was taught to look at for any obstruction, absence of a light, or a light other than white. This could give probable cause for an officer to pull someone over, at least in TN.
    My son is LE and told me that the statute only required that the plate be lit and visible from a certain distance, no mention as to what color the light must be. I don't think I will have any problems with LE, unless they just want to tack it on if they stop me going 25 over or something.
    Last edited by st11ray; 02-23-2017 at 02:09 PM.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '06 ST1300
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by T_C View Post
    I put a small white strip right above the licensce, under the housing. I also blocked off the clear lens with silver foil to reflect the red back up and out of the housing.

That's a good idea.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '06 ST1300
    My Gallery

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast