Valves

Bought my bike used and I am not sure the last time if ever the valves have been checked bike has 40k km (24k miles). Is it worth checking them? I dont want to do it during the riding season.. it's short enough as is!

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
For the peace of mind with a new machine, I'd say the answer is yes. My experience is with my ST1100 but once a few pieces of plastic were removed the valve cover access could not be easier on these bikes. You can have a poke around with your feeler gauges quickly and decide whether the valves are in spec or not, and then make a plan to pull the cams at some later date if needed. My guess is that at 40000km they will be OK, but it would be nice to confirm that.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
For the peace of mind with a new machine, I'd say the answer is yes. My experience is with my ST1100 but once a few pieces of plastic were removed the valve cover access could not be easier on these bikes. You can have a poke around with your feeler gauges quickly and decide whether the valves are in spec or not, and then make a plan to pull the cams at some later date if needed. My guess is that at 40000km they will be OK, but it would be nice to confirm that.
Pull the cams? Are there high performance cams for our ST's?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Pull the cams? Are there high performance cams for our ST's?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
No but the valve clearance is adjusted by swapping shims that reside under bucket cam followers. To get the buckets/shims out, you need to remove the camshafts.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Unfortunately for 1300 owners, it is not quite so simple as with the 1100. You have to deal with R & R'ing the cam chain also on the 1300, I do believe.

OP
OP
ya it looks like a PITA to do.. which is why I am thinking it might be nice to do it now in the middle of winter so I can take my time doing it.

Bike
2012 ST1300
I just did mine for the first time myself. Not really to big a deal. I was most intimidated with the plastics. Both turned out to be not so bad, just follow your manual if you have one. Plus all the answers to your questions can be answered here! BTW my 1300 has 51+K on it and a valves checked out fine.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I'm about to do mine within the next week or so hopefully on an 08 1300. (34000 km's) I find it hard to get in the garage and work on stuff when it's so cold. :) Oh and all the freaking snow we're getting lately!
Good luck....

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Checking them isn't as bad as you might think... but, you do have to be somewhat confident in your mechanical skills.. It always helps to find someone nearby that has done it before.

The plastic is nothing really.. once you get into that the first time you'll see how it all goes together and not as bad as it looks.

Having to actually adjust them ups the skill level just a bit and the right rear cylinder can be a hassle I've heard but have never tackled that one. I've helped with maybe 5-8 valve checks not including a couple I've done on my previous ST and only one needed adjustment.. but, that means nothing, you should check to at least have a baseline where the gaps are NOW... then, on the 2nd check you can see if those gaps have changed and how much... odds are, you are okay now but that's no guarantee..

I would check them now while you're not riding...

And, no matter how bad the ST is... it's nothing compared to how 'interesting' the Super Tenere is to do a valve check/adjustment.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
OKMURDOG has posted two really thorough albums showing the entire step by step procedure for adjusting the valves on the ST1300. There are separate albums for left and right side, although the process is just about the same.

I'd also recommend recording and hanging onto the clearance information. I've seen a couple nicely laid-out worksheets for that, but alas cannot remember who posted them so I cannot give credit where it is due.

Bike
VStrom 650
Hi all,
My ST1100W is on about 55000 miles and I asked the man to check them last year, I knew they had been checked at around 30000 but they were OK. They were still ok at 55000 too.
What a piece of Kit these are.
Hope yours are ok too, presumably you can check without the trouble of removing too much. The ST1100W took all of 30 mins. But then again he is the MAN.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
I'm about to do mine within the next week or so hopefully on an 08 1300. (34000 km's) I find it hard to get in the garage and work on stuff when it's so cold. :) Oh and all the freaking snow we're getting lately!
Good luck....
Same here! my garage isn't heated and I need to park a car in it so it's a pain in the butt! With the short riding season though I really should be doing it before long.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I waited until the off season after the scheduled service intervals for mine. I checked my 1100 at 50k last winter (due at 48, purchased at 41) and it needed adjustment. All of the exhaust valves and one intake were out. I checked my 1300 this winter at 65k (due at 64, purchased at 61) and thankfully all were in spec. The maintenance history I had for both bikes were spotty at best so I wanted to check them.

Top Bottom