Front brake pad replacement

Bike
08 St1300
In the process of doing some maintenance and found a leaky fork seal. Took care of that job then noticed that the front pads needed replacing. Got Galfer pads from Bike Bandit. Popped the old pads out and cleaned things up a bit and installed the new ones. Removed some fluid from the master cylinder to allow room for the new pads. Pushed the pistons in as far as they will go but still can't get enough room for the disc to squeeze in. For some reason the inner side of the caliper doesn't seem to want to move to get the needed clearance. Brakes were working fine before the tear down. Was planning on doing a complete bleed once I got things back together. What gives?

Pat

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Take both calipers off and clean them up best you can with a toothbrush and household cleaner, pull them apart and grease the slider pins with brake grease, then push the pistons in till they are flush with the caliper. Should work. Be aware that the rear Honda OEM pads are thicker than the front, if memory serves. Could it be that Bike Bandit cross referenced rear pads? I have never used Galfer.
I try to always use OEM Honda pads, F&R. Numbers below fit my 2003 model.

06455-MCS-G02 - Front
06435-MCS-G02 - Rear

In a pinch I use these EBCs:

EBC -FA 261 HH, Front and Rear

Bike
'04 ST1300 - Blue
If you are having the same issue on both sides, it could be that you are not quite getting the pads set right or you didn't push the piston in perfectly perpendicular to the bore. Did you have the old pad on when you compressed the piston or did you do it after you took the pads out? If the latter, you may need to give the front brake the smallest amount of a squeeze to push the pistons out a couple mm from where they currently are, then put the old pad on and use it to compress the piston. A c-clamp works great for this. I've hung up a few pistons trying to just push them in the bore using a long screwdriver, crow bar, etc. Kinda like cross-threading a screw.

OP
OP
Hyzakp
Bike
08 St1300
I'm 100 percent sure that the pistons are pushed in all the way because the disc is almost in contact with the caliper body on the piston side. I'm starting to think that Bike Bandit did send the wrong pads. They are different than the OEM pads in that the pad is one solid piece rather than 4 separate pads. I compressed the pistons before taking the old pads out.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
In 2008 the front calipers changed so make sure you have the right pads first.

Is it the same both sides, It sounds to me like you have the wheel spacers in the wrong sides of the wheel.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
They are different than the OEM pads in that the pad is one solid piece rather than 4 separate pads.
Ah.. if they're not identical to the pads that came off.. they sent you the wrong ones... period.

Ah.. if they're not identical to the pads that came off.. they sent you the wrong ones... period.
I have seen them the right size with single, two, three and four segmented pads.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have seen them the right size with single, two, three and four segmented pads.
Still early and I need more coffee, I was visualizing something different.. lol..

Yes, some have different pad sections and material. But, if the pad base does not fit into the caliper it's possible it's a pre 2008 pad trying to fit in a 2008 or newer bike which won't work, and visa versa.

OP
OP
Hyzakp
Bike
08 St1300
After a couple of failed attempts with Bike Bandit I ended up getting the correct pads from the local dealership. Got this all back together last week after a valve clearance check, spark plug replacement, leaking fork seal replacement, flushed out the clutch fluid and all the brake fluids using my vacuum pump. Did a road test following the checks outlined in the brake pitfalls write up and everything is working properly. Man this thing has great brakes!. Ready to ride now just in time for spring!

Pat

Bike
ST1300A 2007
Thank you for this thread.

This friday i was at a Honda dealer and he couldnt find 20007 brake pads int his computer system and gave me 2008 (06455-MCS-R02). Today (Sunday, shop is closed) i had to reasemble the front brake with the old pads since the new ones didnt fit, :cry::no1:

But my questions is: Is the 06455-MCS-G02 and the rear 06435-MCS-G01 the same? If he cant find the part for the front brake, is it possible to use the rear brake pads in the front on a 2007?:confused:

Top Bottom