New long distance endurance record attempt

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Anyone know what this track is like that he is attempting the record on? I have to assume it's an oval and not some kind of road course.
The article says it 4 one mile straight aways with 4 one mile corners.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The track in Uvalde, TX...

UPG.jpg
LOL.. that's where I grew up.. in fact a high school best friend of mine that I haven't seen in a while is going to meet us in Big Bend on his newly acquired GS, I haven't seen him in I think 27 years... his dad used to be a security guard for that test track... lol.. okay, no Kevin Bacon connection but it's gotta be there somewhere.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I wonder if it would lessen the boredom to reverse direction every fuel stop? At least it would even out the tire wear. Gotta be the most boring record evah......ff

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I wonder if it would lessen the boredom to reverse direction every fuel stop? At least it would even out the tire wear. Gotta be the most boring record evah......ff
Good point!!

Was this test track ever an actual race track? Seems like an expensive proposition just to test tires. I would think they could rent time at Texas Motor speedway (or another local track) a lot cheaper.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hmm.... it took me 36 1/2 hours to cover that distance... both times*... on real roads... getting off the ST1100 at each gas stop.. AND a 3 hour nap. :)

John
* CanSTOC '04, WeSTOC '02 - home to the East Coast of Iowa.
Was that from LA or SF? I had heard someone rode the SF-NY route in 36+ hrs.
Ken, CanSTOC '04 was held at Toad Rock Motorcycle Campground, between Balfour and Ainsworth Hot Springs, BC. WeSTOC '02 was at Ashland, OR. In both cases I had a kitchen pass for the STOC event, with the stipulation that I had to be home (Bettendorf, IA) by "such-n-such" day for a family trip, so.....

The Toad Rock trip included a ferry ride which was included in the total time, but not mileage. :)
The Ashland trip included hours of dense, choking forest fire smoke at the start. :(

2,000 miles just going in circles...? Not for me!

John :STOC: Ten Fifty-Eight

Last edited:

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Good point!!

Was this test track ever an actual race track? Seems like an expensive proposition just to test tires. I would think they could rent time at Texas Motor speedway (or another local track) a lot cheaper.
And even better there is a Goodyear test track just as big or bigger about 5 miles north of San Angelo Texas.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I think Kendo's run from NYC to San Francisco last fall was more of a challenge than this seems.

Not to brag (too much) but I did 1160 miles last september in under 15 hours, mostly on I40 running with the traffic, piece of cake. Averaged 77 mph.
My longest non-stop was 1800 miles in just under 30 hours; averaged a reasonable 60 mph; didn't set out to do anything just didn't feel like stopping. Now I make myself stop when the voices in my helmet tell me to.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Interesting. I wonder if he'll use up tires that fast given tire technology has improved since the prior attempts. It would seem 400 miles every 4 hours would put him easily over 2200 miles counting stops assuming he can hold his average predicted speed through the turns. I know several guys that have done over 2000 miles in 24 hours on one set of tires.
Back in 86 when the speed limit was 55 ran from Chicago to San Francisco in 34 hrs straight. Would have made it in 5 hrs less but didn't think two tickets in Nevada in the same day would go well. Slowed to 75 before I got zapped. He knew that I was going much faster so no mercy.
Done on an 84 standard Goldwing with an 83 fairing. The Dunlops handled it all just fine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ST4Sal

Gone Riding!!!
Bike
02 ST1100
STOC #
Congrats on your ride it's one that I still want to do..
This was directed to Kendoo

Last edited:

ST4Sal

Gone Riding!!!
Bike
02 ST1100
STOC #
This so called record attempt really DISTORTS the facts. Mostly that his attempt If successful STILL won't break the unofficial but documented record. Also riding on a track eliminates traffic, finding gas, eliminating waiting in lines, missing a turn or two (although if he misses a turn he's gonna crash). I'm kind of the guy who would prefer this stuff be done as a test versus a way to garner publicity.

Sal

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I was looking at the google earth view of the track.
The two curves have a 1 mile radius. So they are really not curves. No scrubbing the sidewalls.
The track did not look very flat, a lot up down. Not built for high speed...
pavement looked rough...
but what can I tell from a satellite photo....

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Right, it's a test track, not a race track.. so they test tires mostly but also components and handling so maybe a shock manufacturer etc...

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Smooth roads make a big difference at high speed.
Our California cement freeways were sanded smooth by CalTrans several years ago and wow what a difference!

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
My longest non-stop was 1800 miles in just under 30 hours; averaged a reasonable 60 mph; didn't set out to do anything just didn't feel like stopping. Now I make myself stop when the voices in my helmet tell me to.
My voices never seem to agree.

Bike
2010 ST1300
This so called record attempt really DISTORTS the facts. Mostly that his attempt If successful STILL won't break the unofficial but documented record. Also riding on a track eliminates traffic, finding gas, eliminating waiting in lines, missing a turn or two (although if he misses a turn he's gonna crash). I'm kind of the guy who would prefer this stuff be done as a test versus a way to garner publicity.

Sal
Not true. What he is doing is bounded by a specific set of parameters - His 'record' will be for a 24 hour slog on a track - nothing more, nothing less. Its the same as a speed record made at Bonneville Salt Flats. Said speed record is not applicable to roads, or anywhere else, for that matter. As I said earlier, ultramarathoners do the same thing on foot - run for 24 hours around a track to see how far a human can run in one day. The distance would change drastically if you put the same guy in Africa chasing wild game, or in the rockies running down an elk or in Alaska chasing caribou.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hey, if that's the enjoyment he gets out of riding.. good for him... if he gets sponsors or whatever, then good for him..

I don't personally see the point.. since you could get many members of just about any motorcycle forum to beat whatever record he does.. maybe this is just to set the baseline for SOME record to be beaten in the future... I'm glad he's not doing that on a public highway.

But again, if he's enjoying the effort and getting something out of it, good for him.

Maybe this is the beginning of a new race - the 24hrs at Uvalde.. :D

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I hope it goes well and that he breaks the record... he'll at least set a personal best it looks like. It really is about testing one's self, but it's not my cup of tea. I think I'll stick to my longest days being in the 1,200 - 1,400 km range when I need to (750 -875 mile), but if I did a non-stop cross continent run I'd a a slew of old friends and relatives wanting to kick my *** for not stopping to visit lol.

Top Bottom