Koso Heated Grips

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
Anyone try Koso Apollo Heated Grips? I have been researching the best ones to buy and I am about a week away from my purchase. So far I like the Koso the best with the built in controller on the grip it saves me from having to mount the controller somewhere else. Should make a very clean installation. Just curious how they fit and hold up over time.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Sorry, don't have them but they've been at the top of my list as well. I've read a couple good reviews on them. Here's one.

Please post a review if you get them.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Have you looked at the Symtec? They go under pretty much any grip so that you can chose a grip that you really like. They come with a lo/hi switch - no as elegant as to Koso but they do work really well at a reasonable price.

OP
OP
tnman
Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
Have you looked at the Symtec? They go under pretty much any grip so that you can chose a grip that you really like. They come with a lo/hi switch - no as elegant as to Koso but they do work really well at a reasonable price.
I am after the clean install, I don't like the look of the bulging grips with the heating elements under them.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I am after the clean install, I don't like the look of the bulging grips with the heating elements under them.
No bulge. You don't even know they are there. Work great. Inexpensive, and like Uncle Phil said, they work with your grip of choice...(BMW or Progrips)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
No bulge. You don't even know they are there. Work great. Inexpensive, and like Uncle Phil said, they work with your grip of choice...(BMW or Progrips)
+1 - No bulge. You will not know they are there until you turn them on, then you are pleasantly surprised! ;-) They are basically a flexible printed circuit that adheres to the bars (they take in consideration the difference between the throttle side and the left side), then you slip the grip of your choice over them. The only 'buyer beware' is to be sure you leave enough wire slack on the throttle side for the throttle movement.

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300
I have symtecs on my old BMW and had them on a VFR. No bluge no muss no fuss. You can use the stock grips if you like. Or buy the fancy ones. They look pretty cool!
But the symtecs work well and hold up well for the record.
I actually use a tiny wire tie through the throttle inner flange as a kind of strain reliever for the wires.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I have been using the KOSO heated grips for almost two years but not the Apollo's. I purchased them from the Honda dealer where I was assured they would fit the throttle tube and left handle bar on the ST, something that I was hard pressed to get a confident opinion on when looking at the Oxfords (at Twisted Throttle locally). The large diameter was appealing as I found the stock grips that came with my ST1300 too small (I think they are larger than the Oxfords). I think they come in a lot of configurations for different handlebars so get some assurance that what you order will fit. Mine were challenging to install and I resorted to a mallet as my lubricant was evaporating.

My controller is a solid state case about the size of a matchbox. A single button cycles through 5 heat settings. A line of 5 small red LED's indicate the heat setting. I mounted it on a thin metal plate by the left grip below/beside my gps mount. Easy to tell what setting I am at and easy to manage with gloves on.

I always wear gloves so interpret my observations on the the output accordingly. If I need them I never use the lower couple of settings as I can't feel the heat through my gloves. I will set them at 4 or 5 and appreciate the warmth (though they don't 'roast' me). I have Raynauds Syndrome . It affects my circulation and I can lose the feeling in my fingers. I have run with the grips at 5 a couple of times in the cold and/or rain and found the backs of my hands were too cold but the grips kept the palms and fingers warm enough to ride safely.

The price was right at approx $75 canadian.

These are large/thick grips (I really like the size) wired to my quartet harness. They have not failed yet and work sufficiently well although because of my circulation I would be happier with a maximum setting that would warm up the motorcycle rider behind me too. Heated gloves that have a maximum setting of 'Blast Furnace' will be in my topcase when the budget permits.

I am pretty sure that these are mine http://www.koso.com.tw/products-detail.php?id=105

So far I rate them 4.3 bananas out of 5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom