Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corbin Heated seat - fuse size

Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Corbin Heated seat - fuse size

Hi, a few months ago i bought a one piece driver/passenger Corbin heated seat from another forum member for a good price.

After he removed the seat and replaced it with another, he misplaced the wiring for the seat that connected it to the battery. He offered me a further reduction and as it wasn't a big deal to me i accepted. As i live in San Diego and cold weather is a relative thing here i really wasn't bothered about warming my buns too much!!

However now i would like to get the seat functional. I can find the connectors i need online but i'm not sure what size fuse to use and if i should also use a relay. I couldn't find anything on the Corbin website.

Can any forum members who have a Corbin heated seat please let me know what their seat uses.

thanks in advance

Panjammer

Bike
    2004 ST1300A
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: Corbin Heated seat - fuse size

Quote Originally Posted by Panjammer View Post
    Hi, a few months ago i bought a one piece driver/passenger Corbin heated seat from another forum member for a good price.

After he removed the seat and replaced it with another, he misplaced the wiring for the seat that connected it to the battery. He offered me a further reduction and as it wasn't a big deal to me i accepted. As i live in San Diego and cold weather is a relative thing here i really wasn't bothered about warming my buns too much!!

However now i would like to get the seat functional. I can find the connectors i need online but i'm not sure what size fuse to use and if i should also use a relay. I couldn't find anything on the Corbin website.

Can any forum members who have a Corbin heated seat please let me know what their seat uses.

thanks in advance

Panjammer
    7.5a That is from Corbin, I called.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bike
    2004 ST1300A
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

From the info I've gathered here ( lots of great people and info here) if the seat is the only thing you're running off the accessory wire in the fuse box under left side cover then that's fine. It's once you start adding other stuff that you need to run one relay and one relay is usually 20 or 30 amp so it will run a bunch of other accessories

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Dave, thanks for the replies and the great input, much appreciated. I have both the quartet harness and a "fuzeblock" accessory block. I want to make sure that the seat turns off when the ignition is off so i'll check to see what if anything is hooked to the accessory wire. Thanks again

Bike
    2004 ST1300A
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Dave, thanks for the replies and the great input, much appreciated. I have both the quartet harness and a "fuzeblock" accessory block. I want to make sure that the seat turns off when the ignition is off so i'll check to see what if anything is hooked to the accessory wire. Thanks again
    I just added a 3 sets of Lights heated seats and heated grips plus phone and camera mount to a relay and as I was finishing up I found I had the quarter harness behind the headlight just sitting there. If I can be of any help please feel free to Private Message me. Dave

Natural Rider Enhancement Blrfl's Avatar
    Bike
    Fast Blue One
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

If you're running your own wiring, the wire needs to be sized to handle the load and the fuse needs to be sized to protect the wire.

--Mark
    Wizzzzzzzzzzzz What's a Blrfl? ... Shameless plugs: STWiki

Bike
    ST1300A9 (2013)
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

I have a Corbin Dual Canyon heated seat, which we have used for 2 ST1300s. I discarded the provided fuse, as I was building my own accessory harness, but in my wiring diagram I hooked it up to a 5amp fuse, and I would certainly have checked that figure before laying the wire. In my notes, I reckoned it draws 4.5 amps in total for both seats - which is a good estimate for heated jackets as well.

Bike
    2004 ST1300A
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

I agree with jfheath, my thoughts were 5a, my other heated stuff is 5a, but I called Corbin because why not. When she said 7.5a and asked her supervisor who said same, I said okay. I'm sure 5a would work just fine, maybe the 7.5 is to give it a tiny bit of wiggle room before the fuse blows. Of course it is up to you.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

It's always better to error on the side of caution. I'll go with a 5 amp, it should be fine and I always have an option to use a higher rates fuse. Cheers all

Bike
    ST1300A9 (2013)
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Hmm. That's interesting. My notes were written 10 years ago and I cannot remember the original fuse rating, I assume my notes are correct from the info that I had at the time. I'm good anyway - I put in 10 amp cable for the seat and each of the outlets for the heated jackets. I know from experience that the jackets get much hotter when there is less demand from elsewhere - eg steady riding through town. 7.5amp fuse will be OK anyway providing the cable has at least that capacity.
    Of course - design could have changed. With the modern electronically controlled heat controllers, there is a tendency for heated gear to be much hotter when set to full. My Corbin just has a 3 position switch. Centre is off. I cannot work out the difference between the other two 'on' positions.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast