Fairing Air Deflector Set install

Bike
2012 ST1300
I just installed the Faring air deflector set.

My question has anybody installed these and NOT used the screws that came with it. I really don't want to drill holes into the plastic parts just in case I want to take them off later and don't want to see little holes later. I added these to see if it will help with the excessive heat on my shins. I don't notice heat anywhere else while ridding. If there isn't much of a difference than I will take them off. I like the look of the bike more without them.

The only other solution I found to reduce the heat is to go really fast :)

Steve

STOC #
Put a set of these on my ST1100P a few months back (purchased them here from a fellow Forum member).
Used the factory screws on the top, got a couple smaller ones for the middle, but used self-tapping screws on the bottom... gonna see little holes when/if they're removed.
But you've got to climb down there and look for them.

I suppose you could use some strong 3M type double-sided tape, but you're not going to have the luxury of easily popping them off if you want your side cowlings off for anything.

Just my $.02.

Jim

Bike
92 ST1100
I just installed the Faring air deflector set.

My question has anybody installed these and NOT used the screws that came with it. I really don't want to drill holes into the plastic parts just in case I want to take them off later and don't want to see little holes later. I added these to see if it will help with the excessive heat on my shins. I don't notice heat anywhere else while ridding. If there isn't much of a difference than I will take them off. I like the look of the bike more without them.

The only other solution I found to reduce the heat is to go really fast :)

Steve
Understand not wanting holes in 'tupperware'. I suggest using Scotch brand Dual-Locs. They come packaged four to a package IIRC. What they amount to is Velcro on steroids. A sticky backing once paper is peeled off and about 3" long by 1" wide. Just cut off with pair of scizzers a teeny piece as needed for locating mount position. Press two of the pieces together so they interlock, stick it on piece where you want it, peel paper of piece that's interlocked with other piece and press stick it to tupperware.....easy as that. Don't use but real small pieces, since when interlocked together, they hold even under the MOST adverse conditions, even wind. In fact, first had dealings with them as they came with the Laminar-Lip I put on front of and at the top of my bikes windshield. Trust me, two pieces Dual-Locs pressed together require a real hard tug on them to separate the two pieces. They are seriously an awesome product. Scotch seems to be picky as to what retail distributors can sell them. SherwinWilliams paint supplier here is only distributor I've come across who ordered a box full of them as I agreed to purchase a few packages of them for extras just to have. I would imagine around your area oughta' be easy to find who retails them. Hope that was of some help for ya'!

OP
OP
cl12000
Bike
2012 ST1300
Thanks for the reply. This was a brand new set that comes with the 3M tape and I am wondering if the tape alone is good enough. My updated question has anybody used these thing only using the 3M tape that is already applied to them from the factory. There is only two self tapping screws for each side. I am guessing this is so they don't fly off if the tape fails over time.

OP
OP
cl12000
Bike
2012 ST1300
Understand not wanting holes in 'tupperware'. I suggest using Scotch brand Dual-Locs. They come packaged four to a package IIRC. What they amount to is Velcro on steroids. A sticky backing once paper is peeled off and about 3" long by 1" wide. Just cut off with pair of scizzers a teeny piece as needed for locating mount position. Press two of the pieces together so they interlock, stick it on piece where you want it, peel paper of piece that's interlocked with other piece and press stick it to tupperware.....easy as that. Don't use but real small pieces, since when interlocked together, they hold even under the MOST adverse conditions, even wind. In fact, first had dealings with them as they came with the Laminar-Lip I put on front of and at the top of my bikes windshield. Trust me, two pieces Dual-Locs pressed together require a real hard tug on them to separate the two pieces. They are seriously an awesome product. Scotch seems to be picky as to what retail distributors can sell them. SherwinWilliams paint supplier here is only distributor I've come across who ordered a box full of them as I agreed to purchase a few packages of them for extras just to have. I would imagine around your area oughta' be easy to find who retails them. Hope that was of some help for ya'!
This is what is attached to the maintenance (deflectors) covers to attach to the standard covers. You aren't kidding about this stuff. It is as hard to snap together as it is to get them apart.

OP
OP
cl12000
Bike
2012 ST1300
Put a set of these on my ST1100P a few months back (purchased them here from a fellow Forum member).
Used the factory screws on the top, got a couple smaller ones for the middle, but used self-tapping screws on the bottom... gonna see little holes when/if they're removed.
But you've got to climb down there and look for them.

I suppose you could use some strong 3M type double-sided tape, but you're not going to have the luxury of easily popping them off if you want your side cowlings off for anything.

Just my $.02.

Jim
Thanks for the reply. This was a brand new set that comes with the 3M tape and I am wondering if the tape alone is good enough. My updated question has anybody used these thing only using the 3M tape that is already applied to them from the factory. There is only two self tapping screws for each side. I am guessing this is so they don't fly off if the tape fails over time. I actually installed while having the cowls off the bike. So getting the fairings on and off the bike with the deflectors on isn't a problem. However, I understand that the deflectors for the mirrors have to be removed if you want to remove body parts but I didn't add these.

I don't have a problem with the wind or turbulence on this bike. I was doing this to see if I can reduce the heat on my shins. ever so slightly.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The 3M tape is very strong stuff. I tried peeling an emblem off that I had stuck on with the tape and it was tough. Not saying its impossible, but I really doubt that the wind deflector will blow off. And if, because of dirt or poor adhesion, an end comes loose, the rest will still be a job to remove.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for the reply. This was a brand new set that comes with the 3M tape and I am wondering if the tape alone is good enough. My updated question has anybody used these thing only using the 3M tape that is already applied to them from the factory. There is only two self tapping screws for each side. I am guessing this is so they don't fly off if the tape fails over time. I actually installed while having the cowls off the bike. So getting the fairings on and off the bike with the deflectors on isn't a problem. However, I understand that the deflectors for the mirrors have to be removed if you want to remove body parts but I didn't add these.

I don't have a problem with the wind or turbulence on this bike. I was doing this to see if I can reduce the heat on my shins. ever so slightly.
I've put the wind deflectors on each of the ST1300s I've owned. And I've add the screws each time. I really doubt if you want to remove them after you install them.

As for the mirror deflectors, there are two parts for each side. The part that goes on the mirror cover, does not ever have to be taken off. As for the other, I find (just messed with them this afternoon) that by placing a screw in the side (the plastic rivet never worked anyway), the rest it stiff enough, that you really don't need tape. But if you wanted, just replace a small piece at the end of the deflector.

MirrorDeflectorScrew-s.jpg MirrorDeflectorScrew-s1.jpg

To remove a deflector taped down, carefully use a heat gun to warm up the tape. then gently pull the deflector off. Once off, clean off all the tape from the deflector with the heat gun and scrape it. You'll need to replace the tape and reinstall with cleaning the areas with alcohol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom