Used Russell Day-Long Seat

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
How many of you have purchased a USED RDL seat? I am considering doing this but the used seat was made for someone with a 2-4 inch larger waist and about 10lbs heavier. I know it takes the "Custom" out of the custom seat but it also saves a bunch of cash out of my wallet. Just curious of your thoughts/success stories.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I have a buddy here that lent his RDL seat to me and I loved it. He is built different than I with further margins than you have listed, but with the settings available on the 1300, it was very comfortable compared to the stock seat.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
10lbs probably isn't enough to make a difference that you'll notice, but you won't know for sure until you try it.

If you can't try it 1st and it doesn't work out, you'll always be able to re-sell a RDL seat.

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
I have bought a Russell from a fellow rider on this form. Don't know if the built was close to my weight but it has severed me well over the years without doing any custom work to it. Anything was better then the original stock seat even after I had that customized without success.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
10lbs probably isn't enough to make a difference that you'll notice, but you won't know for sure until you try it.

If you can't try it 1st and it doesn't work out, you'll always be able to re-sell a RDL seat.
+1 No, my weight jumps around that much from month to month and makes no difference to me that I can tell. ;-)
Waist size should not be an issue.
Inseam and reach to the handlebars can be because of how far over you lean to reach the handlebars which affects your sitting position.
But if the price is right, well worth the try with one this close to your size.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I've bought 2 different used RDLs, without getting specific info from original owners. First one had just the drivers sections done (ST1100) and works well for me. Second one has both driver and passenger done. It's OK for me (not as good as the first one), better for the wife or daughter.

As said, inseam, reach and your preferred position on the bike will make the biggest difference.

If the price is decent, give it a try. It's not hard to resell if it doesn't work for you....

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
I bought mine used and have been very happy with it. I'm 40 lbs heavier than the original owner but this has not been a problem. Great seat!

JohnConner
:rd13:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have bought three RDLs. My first and third were new, but my second was used.

The used one was for someone that was "bigger" than me, but I find it is just fine. I'm currently using it for my daily commute. It's also heated, so that makes it even nicer for these winter commutes! :D

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I, like the others bought mine used as well and it's been the greatest upgrade I've done for long distance rides. I'd say the weight difference is less of a factor than the inseam length. Give it a shot...you'll likely be very satisfied.

Skip

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
As I recall, with RDL, the riders weight can become an issue IF the riders weight is 230# or greater. That's because Russell builds a Heavy-Duty Suspension system into the seat for the greater weight. (On the RDL website you will find this in the TIPS section. There is an additional charge for the higher weight rider)

Heavy-Duty Suspension
In most cases adequate outer buttock support is provided in the standard system for the driver and proper combination of foam densities for the passenger. But for drivers weighing 230 lbs or more and passengers weighing 150lbs or more, the Heavy Duty Suspension is required for adequate support. $45.00 per saddle.

1. Include the additional charge for each Heavy-Duty Suspension that applies in your order form.
  2. If Heavy-Duty Suspension clearly does not apply, do not include it in your order. Like overload springs on a truck, it will result in too stiff a ride if the weight is not there to make it flex.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I'm (at least) ten pounds heavier than when I ordered my Russell. It's still working just fine. The suspension on the seat probably sags a little over time, so it's probably optimal for someone lighter than the original owner. Like Uncle Phil said, inseam and arm length are probably the most important measures, if the weight difference isn't extremely great.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
$45 isn't all that much though costs do add up. It's incentive enough to keep me at 200# or less.

I'm close enough to do a ride-in which is $80 additional on top of any seat costs. Does Russell discount the seat price if shipping isn't required? Probably not.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Russell doesn't discount the seat price for not shipping, because shipping is not included in the price. You have to pay for shipping your seat to and from Russell. The ride-in price sort of takes care of shipping.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Why do they charge extra for a ride-in? Seems to me that if anything it would be easier for them to have the customer there to fit-check as they make it- less of a chance of needing adjustments later as well.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
No they don't like was said above, shipping is extra. Cost me and a friend (we sent ours in together and Russel was nice enough to send them back in one box) $82 US funds to ship to Canada which is really good in my opinion!

A member on here told me he had gotten a discount for mentioning another forum to Russel when getting pricing a few yrs ago. When I asked about it , they said that they didn't do that anymore and just gave everyone a good price. They said they were going to raise their prices this year between 6-10% (they hadn't had a price increase in yrs) but they would honor my quoted price if I sent it in before the new year , which I did. They didn't budge on the price even though I mentioned the site I was on ,was talking a lot about purchasing their seats. You could try asking again?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Why do they charge extra for a ride-in?
Probably because they have to dedicate one seat builder to work all day on just your seat, doing the morning measuring and photographs, then the near lunch test sitting on the cut foam base and then the afternoon test sitting on the fully covered seat, where a final adjustment could be done, if needed. They are always really busy and, except for the one person per day that they take for a ride in service, I imagine they try to keep an assembly line type of process going there, with no time wasted measuring, testing and retesting a fit.

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Why do they charge extra for a ride-in? Seems to me that if anything it would be easier for them to have the customer there to fit-check as they make it- less of a chance of needing adjustments later as well.
I think it's because they do it in just a few hours, in front of other seats.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I bought one used, the individual I purchased from was 40 lbs heavier and an inch taller. Never could get comfortable, pushed me back from the bars too far. Sold it for what I paid for it, the experiment cost me the expense of shipping one way.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Top Bottom