Used Russell Day-Long Seat

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Can I safely assume a new RDL will add 1" in seat height? If so does that lessen when the seat is broken in?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Can I safely assume a new RDL will add 1" in seat height? If so does that lessen when the seat is broken in?
I'd say at least an inch and I've not noticed that reducing much after break in. But I'm sure it does some, just never paid attention. My inseam is 32" and I have no trouble flat footing with either of my Russells.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
32 inch inseam here as well. I found I did sit higher as well - between an inch or two - which hasn't changed much, but it did require a slight change in my stopping "style". It is the wings of the seat, supporting the thighs, that make the reach to the ground more difficult, if you stay in the pocket of the seat when stopping. I've always been one foot down, which I could easily do with the OEM seat, but to get that foot down flat now requires me to slide the boys right up to the shelter to get my thigh clear of the wing. No big deal. Just took a little getting used to remembering to slide forward before the last moment, otherwise it is a tippy toe left foot.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Bush said:
It is the wings of the seat, supporting the thighs, that make the reach to the ground more difficult, if you stay in the pocket of the seat when stopping.
I thought about that when asking if a seat was an RDL full or sport. If/when it happens I wonder how much customizing Russell is willing to do particularly with the wings. But that's all back burner for now.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I thought about that when asking if a seat was an RDL full or sport. If/when it happens I wonder how much customizing Russell is willing to do particularly with the wings. But that's all back burner for now.
When I had my new saddle made almost a year ago, it came back as a "Sport", without asking for it. I didn't like it and sent it back. A couple of months later Dave and I did that 4,800 mile ride to WeSTOC 2016. I prefer the full RDL!

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I think you're at a real advantage being so close to Russel where you can tailor your seat to your needs and have any repairs or adjustments done at your leisure. You mentioned the "customizing" , it seems this is done at no extra charge. My friends Yamaha seat was made with a tall sort of lumbar support which was no extra cost ,so definitely ask what you "can have" when you finally give in and get the Russel ! :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I prefer the full RDL!
My friends Yamaha seat was made with a tall sort of lumbar support which was no extra cost
Great info! BTW- a buddy who rode enforcement motors for almost 40yrs would roll up his duty jack and bungie it to the seat of his H-D as a short support. He said it made all the difference in the world for preventing back pain.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Not sure if the 1300 seat design allows for the same Russell build as the 1100, but just for information to those interested, this is a good shot of my two year old seat - with the half moon pattern, which has the least stitching. I didn't ask for the driver "backrest". That's how they built it and . . . they stress that it is not really meant as a backrest, but is there to keep you in the sweet spot of the seat pocket . . . and it IS sweet!

The added height to the front of the pillion portion, with its downward slope to the rear, means my wife no longer slides forward into me at all. Bonus!

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
tnman
Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
Well my deal fell through so no used seat for me. I sent my seat to RDL today to get it done, Thanks to T_C for the loaner, I can continue to ride daily and not have to watch my ST sit in the garage!

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I used my heated seat last weekend and it is way to hot. Is there a way plug in a voltage reducer to cool it off a little? There is no adjustment.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I found that my RDL did not change the ride height. What I did find, though, was that because the "seat wings" do not allow me to put my legs straight down, I have to scoot forward to get my feet down. This makes it seem or feel like the ride height has increased when putting my feet down. In reality, the seat height did not change.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I used my heated seat last weekend and it is way to hot. Is there a way plug in a voltage reducer to cool it off a little? There is no adjustment.
That's one issue I saw when I got my heated RDL, so I routed it through a Synergy dual controller (using oneside of it). It very seldom goes above two to three clicks! :D

synergy-20-dual-rheostat-controller

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
How did you wire it up? I was thinking of putting some kind of controller downstream of the on/off switch where the seat removal disconnect is. I imagine I would just find a non burning setting and leave it there, mount it under the seat, and use the on/off switch to turn it on and off.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
How did you wire it up? I was thinking of putting some kind of controller downstream of the on/off switch where the seat removal disconnect is. I imagine I would just find a non burning setting and leave it there, mount it under the seat, and use the on/off switch to turn it on and off.
First, I'm only using the front saddle, so I changed the plug to fit the plug on the controller. I then connected the hot wire from my BlueSea fuseblock to the controller. Bingo Controlled heat! :D

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
I have what looks to be a RDL or Meyer seat on my 03 13A. It came with the bike, and after a month or so of adjusting and riding, I can definitively say I don't care for it. Both the front and rear are done, along with a backrest.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have what looks to be a RDL or Meyer seat on my 03 13A. It came with the bike, and after a month or so of adjusting and riding, I can definitively say I don't care for it. Both the front and rear are done, along with a backrest.
Normally, Russell Seats have a sticker on the bottom with a id number that tells them information for the seat. I don't know how far back they keep that information. I don't know if Meyer 'stickers' their rebuilds or not.

Top Bottom