Used Russell Day-Long Seat

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have what looks to be a RDL or Meyer seat on my 03 13A. It came with the bike, and after a month or so of adjusting and riding, I can definitively say I don't care for it. Both the front and rear are done, along with a backrest.
RDLs are "Built" for the person ordering it. So, if they are larger or smaller than you, there's a good chance that that saddle won't work for you.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
A lot has to do with whether it has the heavy duty suspension or not and whether you need it or not. Also, reach and normal sitting position has a lot to do with also as I learned when I did my last 'ride out' to get my old one refurbed after 200,000+ butt happy miles.

Bike
06 ST1300
How many of you have purchased a USED RDL seat? I am considering doing this but the used seat was made for someone with a 2-4 inch larger waist and about 10lbs heavier. I know it takes the "Custom" out of the custom seat but it also saves a bunch of cash out of my wallet. Just curious of your thoughts/success stories.
I bought a used russell for my 2001 st1100. I weigh 275 and the seat was wonderful, day long as advertised. My buddy who purchased my 1100 used it on an overnight test ride. He said he had never been on a comfortable seat. He weighs 175. This in mind, if you can find a used seat, I wouldn't hesitate. I'm on the look for a st1300 seat.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
How did you wire it up? I was thinking of putting some kind of controller downstream of the on/off switch where the seat removal disconnect is. I imagine I would just find a non burning setting and leave it there, mount it under the seat, and use the on/off switch to turn it on and off.
One way is to use a heated grip switch with a resistor, which gives you a HI and LO, just mount the resistor somewhere it can dissipate heat. These are used on some lesser expensive heated grip sets. The other way is to buy a Warm&Safe variable controller that you wire in yourself, gives you variable heat.... which is really a PWM (Pulse Width Modulator), you can search for those if you want to do it on a budget.
http://www.warmnsafe.com/handgrip-or-seat-heat-trollers/

Top Bottom