done valve check now what?

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I don't even bother with setting the timing marks in that peep hole anymore. I just simply line up the marks on the camshaft sprockets to their appropriate locations and you will be set for your measurements on that particular cylinder...
if this method works,I'll try it next time...thanks

Bike
09 ST1300
I agree with Mellow - they are in spec range now, but now that you have measured and recorded them you can detect a change next clearance check. When I did mine there were only a handful that were just outside spec, and once I had the cams out I found that some of the shims could be swapped to one another once I did all the calculations. Worked out well and I only had to order like 4 or 5 shims. I put all mine to as close to center of the range as I could.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Good to hear that I'm still ok and don't need to pull the cams. I certainly won't pull the cams if I don't have to. Thanks for everyone's advice.

take care....

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
good advice.....I already did that too. Not too tight either I was warned. I'll see what else I can do before the tupperware goes back on soon...
This a good point,,, especially since I just tightened up my oem coolant clamps last night. I made them good and tight,,, so how much is too tight. That did not really occur to me that I could over do it,,, but now thinking about it,,, one could tighten them to just below the breaking point. Then,,, heat expansion of the aluminium spigots could take them past that point, and pop, or stretch,,, and you are in big trouble on the road sided somewhere. Opinions ??? Cat'

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
IMO, too tight is more of a concern re damaging the hose itself, not the clamp giving way. If clamped too tight you can actually deform the hose enough that heat expansion and contraction will weaken the inner fibres of the hose.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just ride it. They are fine as listed. Check them again in about 7.5k miles.
It's not a Ducati, why 7,500 miles? At worst 16,000 miles in accordance with Honda. After umpteen checks and stable valve clearances I'll do the next ones around 30,000 miles apart.

Top Bottom