Lost Keys - Ignition Key Code?

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Where can I find the ignition key code on a 2003 ST1300 without causing too much damage?

Has anyone ever called Honda to obtain a key code from a VIN, or engine serial number?

Bike
2010 ST1300
This was the subject of a recent post. I think it is a number preceded by letters on the cylinder of the lock - easily seen on the left glove box lock or less easily on the gas cap lock. (I cannot check my gas cap because I'm using an Oberon screw in cap w/ no key.) Some Honda dealers can cut a key given the code - but not all dealers can do this.

I believe that Honda cannot give you the key code if you give them the VIN.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
If you feel the need to break something to get the ignition key code, I would suggest the left glove box. The lid is pretty cheap to replace.
Part # 64236-mcs-goo $20.45, and the spring clip Part # 37222-mcs-goo $3.51
Simply take a hole saw and drill a hole large enough for your finger to reach inside and pull the clip directly backwards, then the lock will lift out.
You can then order a new lid and swap over all the other hardware.
Drill the hole at 9:00 o-clock in the middle of the lid, and to the left of the lock and that will put you right on the clip.
Drill hole, reach in, pull clip to rear releasing lock barrel, lift out, take to locksmith for new key.
I text you some photos to help.
Larry

Last edited:

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Where can I find the ignition key code on a 2003 ST1300 without causing too much damage?

Has anyone ever called Honda to obtain a key code from a VIN, or engine serial number?
Before you break something let me look at my left box lid and see what I can come up with. I'll text you then.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Hi folks. We pulled the glove box lock and are being told that none of the numbers on it are right for making a new key, go figure.
Now we're going for the ignition switch. Someone thinks somewhere in this forum someone said if you remove the two Allen key bolts holding the ignition in that now you have to replace the bolts because they are break away or something.
Has anybody heard about this? I am old school, pull 2 bolts, the wire plug and it falls out.

OP
OP
Jay51
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I still need help!

I have a lost key issue with my 2003 ST1300. I tried getting the gas to open with no success. Unscrewed all of the allen screws on the outer ring and tried prying the gas cap up. But it will not move. Does that only work if the gas cap lock is not locked? Can it be opened if it is locked?

I then drilled a hole into the left side locked glove box and removed the lock cylinder. The is "2MC" stamped on the bottom of the lock and "G00-A" stamped on the side of the lock. I called the ebay locksmith mentioned in ST1100 thread and he said the neither code was correct.

So, I need a plan B to either remove the locked gas cap or remove the ignition lock. Unless someone knows if either of the numbers on the glove box lock would work?

scootac

Will Ride for Food
A powerful reminder to have spare keys made and ON THE BIKE before this happens to you.
A spare key is the most important...and cheapest.... farkle you can have.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
#90107-MBG-000
8MM one way bolts
$2.44 ea. you'll need (2)
These are safety tamperproof bolts (like the bathroom stall bolts) not the ones with the allen and dowel, but the half the head missing so you can only go one direction.
They will be housed inside the collar of the switch and you will have to punch or notch them to remove them.
I did this when I replaced an ignition on a police motor a while back, pain in the butt!

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Unscrewed all of the allen screws on the outer ring and tried prying the gas cap up. But it will not move. Does that only work if the gas cap lock is not locked? Can it be opened if it is locked?
Nope. If you could open the tank by removing the bolts, there wouldn't be a lot of point in having a lock on the cap.

I called the ebay locksmith mentioned in ST1100 thread and he said the neither code was correct.
You're not likely to find the code anywhere on the bike. You will find it on the tiny metal tag that comes with the keys from the factory, so check and see if it's in with what you got from the previous owner. It's an eight-digit number consisting of ones, twos and threes that describe the shape of the key (e.g., 12312312). Failing that, and if you're really lucky, you may be able to take proof of ownership of the bike to a Honda dealer and get them to look up the key code if Honda still has it. A lot of that stuff gets purged after ten years or so, although with things lasting longer than they used to, they may keep it longer. If you can get the code, a good locksmith should be able to cut a key. You'll find a table of suitable blanks here.

You will not be able to make a key based on the pins in any of the locks other than the ignition lock, because those have fewer pins (four, I think) and the ignition lock has eight. (That would leave you 81 possible keys to try.)

The replacement lock set with keys runs a bit north of $300. Replacing the ignition switch is a job and a half. The gas cap, fairing pocket, saddlebag and latch locks can probably be unlocked with a snap gun to make replacing them easier.

Anyone know what a one-way bolt is?
A one-way bolt is a bolt with a head that you can only turn to tighten. Removing them requires drilling.

--Mark

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Great News Jay! I have 6 spare keys made....just in case....
I would be happy to send you a new glove box lid since my idea didn't help you.
Just PM me an address and shipping info.
Larry

OP
OP
Jay51
Bike
2006 ST1300A
The locksmith started with the gas cap lock and put a small viewing scope into the lock. The then wrote down the distances between the cuts that he had to make. He then did the same thing for the ignition lock. Then he went into his van and cut me 4 working Ilco keys that work perfectly!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The locksmith started with the gas cap lock and put a small viewing scope into the lock. The then wrote down the distances between the cuts that he had to make. He then did the same thing for the ignition lock. Then he went into his van and cut me 4 working Ilco keys that work perfectly!
WHOA! Suddenly $160 while a lot of green doesn't seem unjustified. Since the ignition key works in the gas cap (assuming they were the same to start with?) he was comparing the measurements?

In for a penny in for a pound I would have had some additional keys made only for locks other than the ignition for the Short Key mod.

Nicely done Larry. Much respect.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
WHOA! Suddenly $160 while a lot of green doesn't seem unjustified. Since the ignition key works in the gas cap (assuming they were the same to start with?) he was comparing the measurements?

In for a penny in for a pound I would have had some additional keys made only for locks other than the ignition for the Short Key mod.

Nicely done Larry. Much respect.
All other mobile locksmith called wanted $200 to drive out. This guy wanted $150 and says he specializes in motorcycles and wanted $5 or per copy with steel keys. Came with 2 steal keys plus $10 for the 2 extra. Jay51 got 4 copy's I belive and I asked for a steal copy to hide on my ST even though I carry spare keys in my pocket and at home.

Last edited:

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Great News Jay! I have 6 spare keys made....just in case....
Just PM me an address and shipping info.
Larry
Respect Larry. Not because your idea didn't work but because you offered the idea trying to help which is always helpful and because you offered the lid either way.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Dave.David said:
I asked for a steal copy to hide on my ST even though I carry spare keys in my pocket and at home.
I've got two copies and the original keys. The originals stay home and are the 'archive' versions. One copy works the bike and the other stays on me.

I'm considering one for the bike and another for my buddy in case I somehow totally flake and need him to show up with a key. I needed that assist when my OEM key failed on my first ST.

Top Bottom