Speed Bleeders - long-term experiences from those who have installed them?

OP
OP
Jjonahjamison
Bike
2007 ST1300
Thanks for all the responses guys. Looks like the Motion Pro is probably the easiest and most economical way to go (and Since Igofar recommends, it should be good enough for me).

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Thanks for all the responses guys. Looks like the Motion Pro is probably the easiest and most economical way to go (and Since Igofar recommends, it should be good enough for me).
Did you purchase your motion pro tool yet? I see one here one ebay I'm considering also.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MOTION-PRO-Hydraulic-Brake-Bleeder-08-0143-/291918760687?hash=item43f7b6caef:g:9-kAAOSwNsdXR4sC&vxp=mtr

Does this tool work similar to a speed bleeder? Are you just pumping up the system with the brake levers to flush the fluid out and this tool prevents a back flow? I'm going to have to try bleeding my brakes on my newly acquired 2008 ST1300 before our riding season starts here and am quite surprised how complicated the system is....Especially for a first timer! :)

Also, where can I get the silicone tubing that works better than the vinyl tubing? What size do I need?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
That's the tool! I purchase 3/16 x 5/16 clear tubing at OSH (orchard supply hardware). You can probably get it at any hardware store.
They provide cheap, flexible tubing soft enough to use their shrink wrap on the packaging. It does not work well when used, so throw it away before you start.
I also have never had to use the clip with good tubing.
Good luck with your brake service, if you need help, just ask.
Igofar

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
That's the tool! I purchase 3/16 x 5/16 clear tubing at OSH (orchard supply hardware). You can probably get it at any hardware store.
They provide cheap, flexible tubing soft enough to use their shrink wrap on the packaging. It does not work well when used, so throw it away before you start.
I also have never had to use the clip with good tubing.
Good luck with your brake service, if you need help, just ask.
Igofar
thank you!

SpeedBleeders are great. I have installed them on both an ST and a GL. Put them on individually and in the order Momma states. Make sure you start off with the reservoir as low as possible but short of sucking air. Bleed each as you go through the sequence. Makes the scheduled maintenance a one-man operation that you can do "blind-to-the nipple".

Don't forget the clutch! Same deal.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
SpeedBleeders are great. I have installed them on both an ST and a GL. Put them on individually and in the order Momma states. Make sure you start off with the reservoir as low as possible but short of sucking air.....
Following is from post #4. Be sure to fill the reservoir with fresh fluid before starting to bleed the lines "There is no need to empty the lines first. You should empty the reservoir first though (the only thing i have found the vacuum pump does well) and make sure it is clean, then fill with fresh fluid and bleed. When you see the fresh, clean fluid come out the bleeder, you're done."

Top Bottom