Water Pump Weep Hole Upgrade

OP
OP
M1-Shooter
Last year at this time, I had just finished getting my 2004 #2 ready to be sold (de-FARKLEd), rode it to the gas station, and I could smell coolant! I took it back home and sure enough, it was leaking out the weep hole! So it, along with my 2004 #1 both need waterpumps! :eek:4:

I did try to sell it, but nobody would buy it!
That's how it goes I guess. :(

I'm looking to upgrade the seat, and it should be good to go otherwise. It's really hard to find another bike to change over too. It's fast enough, and wind protection has been outstanding (coming from HD).

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's how it goes I guess. :(

I'm looking to upgrade the seat, and it should be good to go otherwise. It's really hard to find another bike to change over too. It's fast enough, and wind protection has been outstanding (coming from HD).
I wished I had this bike 30 years ago! ;)

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
2004 ST1300 with 27,000 miles. My only question is when I change water pump seals do I need to change pump? Just seems like not enough miles for this pump to have any wear. I lose a few table spoons, or more, enough to leave a 8 inch stain of coolant only when the bike sits, not when riding and not just hours after the ride, so, over night. I will check all clamps but I have seen the weep hole run water before . Guess I better find out if I can get just seals.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
2004 ST1300 with 27,000 miles. My only question is when I change water pump seals do I need to change pump? Just seems like not enough miles for this pump to have any wear. I lose a few table spoons, or more, enough to leave a 8 inch stain of coolant only when the bike sits, not when riding and not just hours after the ride, so, over night. I will check all clamps but I have seen the weep hole run water before . Guess I better find out if I can get just seals.
Yes you can just get the seals. If I ever get a shed out back so I can work on my bikes again, I'll be replacing the seals & bearings on both of my 2004s. One has 68K the other, maybe 35K, but it was sitting for many years.

But, if it is only weeping, you might want to hold off. Maybe riding it more and the weeping might stop.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Yes you can just get the seals. If I ever get a shed out back so I can work on my bikes again, I'll be replacing the seals & bearings on both of my 2004s. One has 68K the other, maybe 35K, but it was sitting for many years.

But, if it is only weeping, you might want to hold off. Maybe riding it more and the weeping might stop.
I would like to think that too, do you still think that? Two months ago was a weep. This last 5 or 10 rides lead to the 6 to 8 inch stain. I want to do the salten sea (hot desert ride) in two weeks. I will always listen to advice, ty.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A

The service manual states that it should be replaced as a whole unit.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The service manual states that it should be replaced as a whole unit.
Of course they do, they also tell you to replace the oil drain plug washer every time and ever try to get a dealer to put a used tire on a rim? they often won't! They have liabilities to worry about that a backyard mechanic doesn't! When I remove the propeller, I'll check it out, if it looks okay, I'll just replace the bearings and seals!

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I can see how you could remove and replace the bearing and the one seal, but how do you plan on inspecting, removing, or replacing the white seal pressed on the propeller? Just curious.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I can see how you could remove and replace the bearing and the one seal, but how do you plan on inspecting, removing, or replacing the white seal pressed on the propeller? Just curious.
I assume you are talking about part #4?

FRONT+CRANKCASE+COVERl

Can't tell you, what I haven't done yet...I'll be figuring all of that out when I get to it... With the 2005, I had to have the local Honda Shop replace it "all" (new prop, seals and bearings), and they didn't get the distance correct between the end of the shaft and the bearings. Byron and I had to push the prop in a little farther. But, they were able to install both seals, so what's the issue you that you know about with that seal?

I also have a complete new front cover and pressed in pump waiting for one of my bikes (probably the 2010 when I replace the clutch - yes, the cover is a 08+)

But with the '04s, I'll be replacing everything, Once I get one apart, I'll answer your questions...one way or the other!

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Thanks for the update as it happens. since the white seal gets pressed into the recess on the prop, I suspect you'll find that you will have to stop the work and order the rest of the parts to make a complete assembly.
I hope you find an easier method.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for the update as it happens. since the white seal gets pressed into the recess on the prop, I suspect you'll find that you will have to stop the work and order the rest of the parts to make a complete assembly.
I hope you find an easier method.
Come on Larry, give it to us, what other parts? It lists two seals and the bearings and the Prop if you want... Besides needing the rest of the parts/gaskets, etc., for the cover, what are you getting at?

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Is the white seal the water seal, looks that way based on Supra link. And #4 Is oil seal and bearing? The link makes it look like that white seal is in a cover and the shaft can be pulled out of either seal once cover is off. Am I correct?

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Is the white seal the water seal, looks that way based on Supra link. And #4 Is oil seal and bearing? The link makes it look like that white seal is in a cover and the shaft can be pulled out of either seal once cover is off. Am I correct?
The white seal is the water/coolant seal and the #10 is the black oil seal.

Bike
09 ST1300
I just did mine this past fall, and the white ceramic seal comes with the new water pump seal. I pressed it into the impeller after prying out the old one. There is only the 2 seals and the bearing, just confusing as the water seal is 2 seperate parts that work and come together

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Since the white ceramic seal becomes pressed into the impeller once the unit is assembled, you have to pry it out of its recess to remove it from the impeller, doing so damages it. It is recommended that the unit be purchased as a whole complete unit because once you PRESS the ceramic seal and bearings in place, you should not remove them for any reason, and certainly not try to replace them after removing them. Would you remove a wheel bearing or driven bearing, then try to re-use it them?

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Since the white ceramic seal becomes pressed into the impeller once the unit is assembled, you have to pry it out of its recess to remove it from the impeller, doing so damages it. It is recommended that the unit be purchased as a whole complete unit because once you PRESS the ceramic seal and bearings in place, you should not remove them for any reason, and certainly not try to replace them after removing them. Would you remove a wheel bearing or driven bearing, then try to re-use it them?
Damages the seal or the impeller?

Are you talking about the entire front engine cover, impeller, seals/bearing? Or just replacing the impeller and the seals/bearings?

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Nothing to do with the engine cover, proper water pump replacement just calls for replacing the impeller/seals/bearing as an assembly - page 6-19 water pump mechanical seal inspection 03-07.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Check out this article if you have not yet seen it. It has some pretty good pictures and text. stupendous1300.blogspot.com

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
This is all a big what if of course , original question was can I replace the seals while using the same impeller. My 1300 only has 27000 miles, I would like to think the impeller and bearing are in decent shape, and of course I would change if bad. So when I pry the white seal off the impeller can I assume that should not scratch the shaft on impeller?

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Nothing to do with the engine cover, proper water pump replacement just calls for replacing the impeller/seals/bearing as an assembly - page 6-19 water pump mechanical seal inspection 03-07.
Check out this article if you have not yet seen it. It has some pretty good pictures and text. stupendous1300.blogspot.com
Okay, when I take one of these apart, I'll be able to determine if I really need to replace the impeller or not. Believe me, when I work on parts like this, I work on extra parts and don't take my bike down until all parts are in place. I've got a couple of front covers I can play with. Once I get my shed built in the back, so I have someplace to really work, this will be one of the first projects, to replace the seals and bearings and the "impeller" if need be! ;)

I just looked at the price at Partzilla:

IMPELLER, WATER PUMP
19210-MCS-000
$46.85 $34.53 Last time I looked, I think they were around $65+ Cheap enough to warrant replacing! ;)

This is like replacing all the friction plates and springs in the clutch when you have the front cover off anyway!

Thanks once again for your wisdom Larry! :D

Top Bottom