To go iridium or not?

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Hi there....lots of great info from this site but I need more :)

I'm going to replace my spark plugs. Since I have a 2008 ST1300 and NGK recommends the standard plug only, ( i have standard Denso in it now) is there anyone on here with the same vintage bike that are using iridiums with no issues? Since the standard plugs are CR7EH-9 , would the iridium be CR7EHIX-9 ? Some sites call for the CR9EH-9 and CR9EHIX-9 for my bike? I have the Denso U22FER-9 which is the same as the NGK CR7EH-9

What's the purpose of the inner black cowls? Are they to direct air to cool the engine? I'd like to drill a few holes in them to help with the heat dissipation in the summer time. (i haven't experienced a summer with the bike yet either, just trying to get prepared) Some have made large holes in them and some have removed them. What's the feeling on that?

thanks

Bike
R1200rt
Hi there....lots of great info from this site but I need more :)

I'm going to replace my spark plugs. Since I have a 2008 ST1300 and NGK recommends the standard plug only, ( i have standard Denso in it now) is there anyone on here with the same vintage bike that are using iridiums with no issues? Since the standard plugs are CR7EH-9 , would the iridium be CR7EHIX-9 ? Some sites call for the CR9EH-9 and CR9EHIX-9 for my bike? I have the Denso U22FER-9 which is the same as the NGK CR7EH-9

What's the purpose of the inner black cowls? Are they to direct air to cool the engine? I'd like to drill a few holes in them to help with the heat dissipation in the summer time. (i haven't experienced a summer with the bike yet either, just trying to get prepared) Some have made large holes in them and some have removed them. What's the feeling on that?

thanks
I don't believe they make the "7" but people on this site have used CR8EH-9 with no problems. Slightly higher heat range but stated they called NGK technical support for the number. Iridium plugs will last 60 -100k. Some Benzs' recommends change after 150K

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I left my inner cowl's off last year. It worked great,, offering more cold air dilution of the hot flow coming out the side vents. No negative effects,, except a slight change in engine audible tone. I notice a similar audible change when I switched to a larger windshield,, so it is hardly worth mentioning. There are a bunch of threads on this subject. Cat'

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I believe those inner cowls are actually put their to direct the engine heat downward away from the rider as you travel. I leave mine on and have noticed that those who removes them have heat issues on their legs and crotch.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I believe those inner cowls are actually put their to direct the engine heat downward away from the rider as you travel. I leave mine on and have noticed that those who removes them have heat issues on their legs and crotch.
And to think that all of these years we thought that they were there to direct air through the radiator.

Cutting large holes in mine has had the largest effect on the heat issue of any of the farkles I've tried. Been running mine like that for 10 years.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
The original iridium plugs in my sons 2002 Honda Civic Si were changed at 187k miles and they looked just fine. Also, I use iridium plugs in everything I possibly can, and have for years. As long as you do not have oil or fuel/air mixture issues, they will last way over 100k miles.

I cannot attest to the holes in the inner fairing thing only that I am always reluctant to drill holes in anything on my bikes. I figure the engineers that designed the things know more than me.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I cannot attest to the holes in the inner fairing thing only that I am always reluctant to drill holes in anything on my bikes. I figure the engineers that designed the things know more than me.
One should hope so. But engineering involves compromises and learning from failures.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I checked out the spark plugs. I can get iridium spark plugs for $2 cheaper than the standard ones ,$13 per plug, at a canadian website with free shipping...fort nine. My dealer wants $14 for the standard plug and $17 for the iridium. I use iridium in both my vehicles and my last motorycle and was amazed at how long they last , but was surprised that NGK didn't recommend them for my bike when I emailed them. They simply said more than once, "standard plug" ?
Also, the sites I visit looking at pricing all say that CR9EH-9 is what I should use, when my manual says CR7EH-9 I can get the CR7 in a standard plug , but not iridium. Then the iridium version from the sites is CR9EHIX-9? So I'm going to order the CR8EHIX-9 and should be good! :)

I think I'll go ahead and drill some holes in my cowls to try and prevent some leg roasting this summer. I'll comment again this summer when I ride it with my newly acquired Russel day long seat! YES! :)

thanks for the comments....

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
You stated that you haven't experienced the bike in the summer yet so how do you know if you will have any heat issues? I have had three ST's and have never had any issue with heat on any of them any more than any other bike that I have ridden. At least as many people have no issue with heat as do. I would suggest waiting until you have tried it in summer conditions before drilling holes.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You stated that you haven't experienced the bike in the summer yet so how do you know if you will have any heat issues? I have had three ST's and have never had any issue with heat on any of them any more than any other bike that I have ridden. At least as many people have no issue with heat as do. I would suggest waiting until you have tried it in summer conditions before drilling holes.
The first couple of years I had my bike, there were no heat issues. My riding was mostly on the slab (5 to 10 over) or two lane roads - 50 to 60. Then at OHSTOC we did a 150 mile loop on a hot day - lots and lots of curves, much shifting, some curves in 2nd more in 3rd and a lot of riding in 4th...in short hard riding. Boy, did the bike and fuel tank get hot. So, I think it has a lot to do with the kind of riding as well as ambient temps.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have used iridium plugs for about 10 k now, no problem. I got mine from Rock Auto ( on advice of a forum member) for a pittance. I am not sure whether they ship to Canada.
Inner cowls: I took mine completely off after the first summer I owned the bike. Tie wraps hold the side cowl to the front fairing. It made a pretty big difference.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I have used iridium plugs for about 10 k now, no problem. I got mine from Rock Auto ( on advice of a forum member) for a pittance. I am not sure whether they ship to Canada.
Inner cowls: I took mine completely off after the first summer I owned the bike. Tie wraps hold the side cowl to the front fairing. It made a pretty big difference.
Rock auto does ship to Canada with really good shipping costs to. I'll check that site before I purchase them.Thanks for the reminder......

I think I'll just try the holes first, it's good to know that some have removed them totally with good results.....

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I think I'll go ahead and drill some holes in my cowls to try and prevent some leg roasting this summer. I'll comment again this summer when I ride it with my newly acquired Russel day long seat! YES! :)

thanks for the comments....
I would check to see how much replacements are going to be before you go to cutting on them. You may be thrilled. Removing them altogether and replacing at will seems to be a much better option. FWIW, I have a 2003 and its heat issues are not really that noticeable, at least to me. I have had bikes that are much worse.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
jmcarruth said:
You may be thrilled.
:rofl1: I've only ridden in 90? heat low humidity (if that makes a difference) and the heat didn't bother me. Granted I don't ride hard. Based on the We're Not All the Same principle I'd consider riding with no mods first and then try with removing the inner cowls before drilling/cutting.

If drilling is to be the plan you might search here for a template someone made to keep the holes looking OEM unless you're handy in that regard.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Wow.....RockAuto wins the spark plug pricing competition! :) Thanks...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
:rofl1: I've only ridden in 90? heat low humidity (if that makes a difference) and the heat didn't bother me. Granted I don't ride hard. Based on the We're Not All the Same principle I'd consider riding with no mods first and then try with removing the inner cowls before drilling/cutting.

If drilling is to be the plan you might search here for a template someone made to keep the holes looking OEM unless you're handy in that regard.
Thanks for the advice.
I think I'll drill a few small holes in each cowl and size them to a plastic cap plug, so I can fill the holes easily if I have negative results. The cowls look to be only $25 each so I think I'm safe trying it.

As far as being handy, i don't know. :) I've always been more concerned with functionality rather than appearance, but I think I can make this look ok....

Bike
2006 ST1300
Ancient sbjects but i'll reiterate. Iridiums work great, trying to find a cross match for my other bike.
Don't cut holes in cowls, just remove them and try. Can always reinstall them. Mine have been out since 2008. Big improvement in felt heat.

Top Bottom