Duplicate Your Key

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Kevin 56 mentioned how dismayed he was about the lost keys threads currently being discussed. To any newbies, or anyone else to whom this may apply, GET DUPLICATES. There are many threads on the forum specifying which blanks work, or go on eBay and find some although many locksmiths will not use blanks not from in house. Save yourself a world of trouble.

Greg

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Re: DUPLICATE YOUR KEY!!!!!!

Good advice. My 1991 recent find came with only one key. I bought two blanks on Ebay. Keep one set (ignition, trunk, throttle lock) out of sight in the garage, an identical set in my dresser drawer, and a third ignition key tucked into the folder with the paperwork for the bike.
Losing your only key ranks right up there with running out of gas 20 miles past the 'Last Gas for 100 Miles' sign.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I find it hard to believe that anyone can own a car or bike and only have one key or set of keys for it. I routinely lose my keys and glasses (usually find them after a short search) so I have multiple sets. I never take the bike out without having at least two sets (ignition + top box) with me plus a backup ig key in my wallet. And the originals stay at home so more copies can be made if need be.

On the other hand, I've made so many mistakes in my life that I try not to duplicate them (the mistakes) - its much more interesting making new mistakes.

As said else where here, 'I know I'm paranoid, but am i paranoid enough?'.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Re: DUPLICATE YOUR KEY!!!!!!

I bought two blanks on Ebay.

I suggest you try your local locksmith first...
Mine had the Honda blanks in stock for my ST1300 - and even for my 1980 CB900c.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I buy and carry extras. The "switch blade" key for my van was broken off when I bought it. The unit also doubles as the remote lock so had to carry it anyway. Van came with only one working coded key. Hate that. Also hated Dodge wanted $57 for a blank. Ordered two codeable keys and two flat door key blanks from somewhere on line for $35 delivered. Had all 4 cut plus coding for about $25 at a hardware store in Petersburg, IN. Just this evening, took my Dremel and cut one of the flat keys to fit the remote/switch blade. Also dropped the tiny, tiny roll pin which holds it in Aaarrrgh! Found it tho, so all is good. :p

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Thanks for the prompting to do this. I grabbed my spare set and will be off to the locksmith tomorrow to see if he can do it. Failing that the dealer perhaps or grab blanks off ebay?

Bike
1993 ST 1100
My local did not have original blanks for my St1100 but have a set that works. I decided to stow the originals and use the copys, no big loss if I lose a copy).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Don't get keys from the dealer!

Although YMMV. Not all dealers can cut a new key for you. Of those who can— do they use the OEM Honda key blank? I had to special order a couple of them and they were pricey! And cheezy. So cheesy they don't rate an 's'. These are the one that bend and break if you're not really careful.

I found that my local ACE Hardware store carried the iLCO blanks and could cut the keys. They did a better job than my former go-to locksmith. (The new management look like they make copies of your keys for themselves if they think you have money!)

Check around but wherever you get them made check their work and use them in all the locks ignition and otherwise.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I just bought a 2010 ST1300 and I'm storing it at the dealers until the roads clear up. Does the key on this bike have a immobiliser chip in it?

thanks Darren

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just bought a 2010 ST1300 and I'm storing it at the dealers until the roads clear up. Does the key on this bike have a immobiliser chip in it?

thanks Darren
Look at the key! St1300-LostKeyType.jpg if it doesn't look like this, it doesn't have the immobilizer chip in it. Most US bike do not.

When I bought the Cop ignition/locks, the key that came with it did look like this. So it makes me think that maybe the cop bikes do!

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the prompting to do this. I grabbed my spare set and will be off to the locksmith tomorrow to see if he can do it. Failing that the dealer perhaps or grab blanks off ebay?
If you haven't already done so, don't take a spare key to have duplicates cut. Take the original stock key - making a copy from a copy could lead to problems.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
If you haven't already done so, don't take a spare key to have duplicates cut. Take the original stock key - making a copy from a copy could lead to problems.
I went with the original key to the local locksmith that does all the key cutting i need. They had plenty of blanks and cut 2 of them for me, $3 each and work perfectly. Now to hide one on the bike somewhere...

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
...if it doesn't look like this, it doesn't have the immobilizer chip in it. Most US bike do not.
No bikes imported to North America have the immobilizer.

When I bought the Cop ignition/locks, the key that came with it did look like this. So it makes me think that maybe the cop bikes do!
Those bikes probably have the European lock set in them, but the cover that surrounds it on U.S. PAs doesn't have the antenna in it to make HISS work.

--Mark

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
New US STs don't have any immobilizer/alarm kit installed. That's all aftermarket. No chipped key.

UK STs and maybe those in other countries have the Honda Ignition Security System (H.I.S.S.) installed and have an immobilizer chip in the key. My guess? no chip in your key. It's easy to verify.

[didn't see Mark's post]

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST-1300
Thank you everybody. The keys are with the bike at the dealer 3 1/2hrs from home. So no immobilizer chip. Good one less thing to go wrong. That is why I bought this bike. It's Kinda like my r1100rt with a decent transmission:D

Bike
07 ST1300
I went with the original key to the local locksmith that does all the key cutting i need. They had plenty of blanks and cut 2 of them for me, $3 each and work perfectly. Now to hide one on the bike somewhere...
I remove the mirror covers and tape bike key to right side mirror and top box key to left side mirror. Spares that is! I have to fool proof my life.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I take a business card sized piece of cardboard, cut two parallel slits about 1/2" long and 1/2" apart, slide my spare key through the slits, and carry that in my wallet (head of the key goes into the pocket in the wallet first). Voila, spare key is always with me.

Top Bottom