Duplicate Your Key

Bike
2010 ST1300
Provided you do not lose your wallet. :)
Or leave it on the gas tank! :DGreg
Hey now - It was between the fairing and triple tree. Can you say lucky.
Or leave home without my pants..... Sounds like we have a wealth of experience with wallets.....

I just hope some crook has not chanced on this website and discovered how many of us tape a spare key inside the mirror housing.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
This where I keep my spare key.

20170214_192143.jpg

I started doing this after going to a Honda Hoot Gathering many years ago, and many miles away. How many of you remember those? We rode to a lunch spot that Honda had setup. There were over 200 bikes there. I went in the men's room to pee and wash my hands and face. When I did this I laid my keys on the counter and proceeded to walk out of the men's room with out them. About an hour later the wife needed something out of the saddle bag and I had no keys. I was in panic mode at this point. I went up to the registration booth and asked if anybody had turned in a set of keys. None had been turned into them, so they suggested that I check with the MC for the event. When I approached him about a set of missing Honda keys, he started laughing. He stated that they had over 200 Honda's at this lunch event, what other brand of key would there be to be found. He actually had several sets and I was able to tell him that mine had my Dealer name on the key chain, and what the name was. I got my keys back, but I NEVER travel without a spare set again.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I just hope some crook has not chanced on this website and discovered how many of us tape a spare key inside the mirror housing.[/QUOTE]
Haha I like it. If the folks on the wrong side of the law need my STeed more than I do, I would be really sad, but being stranded because I misplaced my keys, I would be sad at mad (at myself). I don't wish either on anyone.

This is exactly what I was thinking, although to fool the crooks I will tie mine to the other mirror, That should fool them as crooks are not that smart or they wouldn't be crooks and have a real job.:)

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Or leave home without my pants.....
I did not say leave without it, I said lose it. If you were to lose your wallet, the spare key would be the last item to worry about.

If someone wanted my ST, the last thing they are going to do is look for a hidden key. Load it up and haul it away. Then look for that key. Who wants 14 year old technology, besides one of us?

So far I have not needed a spare, so far.

Bike
2010 ST1300
If someone wanted my ST, the last thing they are going to do is look for a hidden key. Load it up and haul it away. Then look for that key. Who wants 14 year old technology, besides one of us?

So far I have not needed a spare, so far.
Good point. If more of us wanted ST's Honda would not have discontinued them.

And the best way to prevent losing your key is to have a spare with you. Always works.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
And the best way to prevent losing your key is to have a spare with you.
Or - leave it in the ignition. Hard to misplace it if you do not take it out. Which would be me.

Do I have spares, yes. One in every coat I might wear and one not so hidden on the bike should someone need the ignition key more than I do.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
While Justin was down helping Brett with the engine swap, he told me he now had a key cutter at his house! So I sent him home with my spare keys for the 2012 & 2010. He just texted me that they are ready and will send them down in the next couple of days! :hat3:

NewKeys.jpg

The new keys are the "chip" style keys. I had bought four blanks off ebay awhile back! :D

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
How much is Justin going to charge ST owners for new keys. From what I see we need a key cutter. There are probably not that many different keys out there. I found that when I needed locks cylinders for my old wing bags and trunk that any cylinder would work for a number of models that used a certain type of key. All I had to do was reconfigure the 4 or 5 pins in the lock cylinders to match my key.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Key machines are not such a big deal. I picked my first up for $75 years ago - I wanted to learn how to master keys (we have some rental property). Used it for years - but not that often. This one was so worn that you had to be careful to apply the same pressure on the cutting side as the tracing side. A couple of years ago I got a better one for double that. Whenever a hardware store goes out of business, these come up for sale, and the learning curve is very very shallow. If the bar is worn, it takes a careful touch, but really, until you get into the professional machines with micrometer adjustments, these are a no brainer.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Or - leave it in the ignition. Hard to misplace it if you do not take it out. Which would be me.

Do I have spares, yes. One in every coat I might wear and one not so hidden on the bike should someone need the ignition key more than I do.
I actually do leave the key in the ignition if I'm making a quick stop with the bike in sight. The key is not completely obvious to the uninitiated

ST1300 key.jpg

Top Bottom