Suits Slatin Motogear EZ-1 Powersuit

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
A Roadcrafter or Darien and pants is a good investment, that will last many years. But if you buy them new, they are a big investment, and the price keeps going up.
Bought my two piece Roadcrafter 1n 2002, used. It is a compromise between comfort and protection. It will boil you in the summer, and freeze you in the winter. I use it in Spring and Fall.
I have the newer version called "R3" (for 3rd generation). It is the same outer shell and inner Gortex but without the nylon liner. It breathes much better in the summer and there is no nylon liner to stick to your sweaty skin. With the vents open and the collar locked in the down position (with little magnets), it actually inflates with air when riding and I surprisingly found it MORE comfortable than my mesh jacket...even in 100+ degree Texas summers. As long as I keep moving and have enough water in my tankbag-mounted CamelBak to keep me hydrated, I am very comfortable with the evaporative cooling. Now, if I get stuck at a stoplight I roast! But then again, any jacket (even mesh) sucks when stuck at a stoplight. However, as soon as the light turns green it's like air coditioning from the evaporative cooling! Ahhhh.....

Also, it's completely waterproof. I have ridden through some torrential downpours and stayed nice and dry inside my suit. I agree, though, about the cold. It breathes too much to keep the cold out without a heated liner but I rarely ride if it's that cold. ;)

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Good for you, maybe the newer ones are more watertight and cooler. My Roadcrafter leaks, bad. So does the one piece that my buddy owns. I wear Frogg Toggs underneath if I anticipate a downpour.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Good for you, maybe the newer ones are more watertight and cooler. My Roadcrafter leaks, bad. So does the one piece that my buddy owns. I wear Frogg Toggs underneath if I anticipate a downpour.
According to Aerostich, the reason the R3 is waterPROOF and the original Roadcrafters are only waterRESISNTANT is because the R3 does not have the liner. Apparently, the stitching of the liner in the original Roadcrafters creates a weak point for water to soak through because it pierces the goretex. The R3 (and Darien jackets and pants), don't have the nylon liner so the inside of all the seams are sealed with seam tape to keep it waterproof.

:shrug2:

All I know is that it works for me. :)

YMMV

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
That's good to know. For the asking price, which is still on "sale," I'd just buy a 'stitch. Pretty close in cost.
Curious as to why. A stich is $1300 without all the armor this suit has. At the $750 price it'd still be $550 less. I've never had a stich so I cannot fairly compare the two. Other than reputation I cannot find much this suit doesn't offer that a stich would. Might find out once I get a chance to ride in the rain which looks like it might happen next weekend.

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Asking price meaning NOT the sale price. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. At the $1500 non sale price listed I'd buy a stitch.
Oh, I agree with that. If the price was the same I wouldn't have even given it a chance as the stich is tried and true by numerous accounts.

I don't think the suit has ever been priced at the "regular price" he has listed. I think he's doing that as marketing to show his price vs the competitor. Honestly, he seems to do a lot of "info commercial pricing" which probably hurts his sales. Just gives a negative feel to his business in my opinion.

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Second ride:

I got out for my second ride with the suit yesterday and did 320 miles. It was 23 degrees when I left the house and 65 when I returned home. This suit is not insulated and from 32 degrees and below I utilized my heated liner to keep me warm. Above 32 or so I can be comfortable with just using the heating liner as a jacket layer without the heat turned on to it. Obviously this is going to vary person to person based on your sensitivity to temperature. Later in the ride I was able to open the vents up and test the ventilation of the suit. I was surprised how well it worked, but I keep in mind that it was mid sixties and probably felt like a lot of air because it was cool air coming in and out. One thing I do like is that I can open and close all 6 air vents while on the bike with how they are located on the suit. My last jacket had one big zipper across the back just below my shoulder blades and it was impossible to open and close without taking the coat off or having help from someone else.

This will be my last report till I get a chance to ride in the rain or something unexpected is noticed and needs reported.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I don't think the suit has ever been priced at the "regular price" he has listed. I think he's doing that as marketing to show his price vs the competitor. Honestly, he seems to do a lot of "info commercial pricing" which probably hurts his sales. Just gives a negative feel to his business in my opinion.
On the flip side it's probably necessary or at least seems so for the Little Guy to go up against established manufacturers. Just on this site it didn't fare well when you first mentioned it. That seems to have changed somewhat with your reviews being posted.

Kick starter type programs use a similar pricing scale with a significant difference being you don't actually have a finished product until much later and sometimes not at all.

Maybe when he gets some traction he can switch to a more acceptable form of advertising.

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
On the flip side it's probably necessary or at least seems so for the Little Guy to go up against established manufacturers. Just on this site it didn't fare well when you first mentioned it. That seems to have changed somewhat with your reviews being posted.

Kick starter type programs use a similar pricing scale with a significant difference being you don't actually have a finished product until much later and sometimes not at all.

Maybe when he gets some traction he can switch to a more acceptable form of advertising.
I see your point to some extend, but he cannot leave pricing alone. The price of the suit has been 4 different prices in the last 4 weeks. Why not just price it at $500 and once he gets a stake in the market raise his prices some. Right now he should be wanting to get as many out the door as possible so word of mouth can spread. Heck, how many people have learned about this option because I got one and am reviewing it.

The constant change in price just seems odd to me. Set the price and let it be, run a sale once or twice a year if you want.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
New info:
Landon said:
. The price of the suit has been 4 different prices in the last 4 weeks.
Ok clearly the guy is nervous or clueless (or both) about this aspect of marketing. Things like this make me ignore the 'list' price more often than not.

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Looks like I may get the chance this weekend to go for a ride in the rain. Think this is the first time ever that I've had to watch the weather to see when it was going to rain so I could go for a ride in it.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I will be able to add some info to this thread in the spring. I sprung (get it?) for the last one on close out. The size large fits me perfectly except it is too long. Better than too short! My wife has a fancy dancy sewing machine for quilting and she has offered to hem the suit. It has very adequate armor and all kinds of hidey pockets and such. One tag states that it is 100% waterproof and another tag claims that it is Reissa, breathable water-proofing textile power skin. We shall see about those claims in the spring.

Greg

Top Bottom