Looking for an inexpensive Motorcycle Trailer

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
I am renting an RV in Toronto and dropping off in Vancouver (picking up 3/15 and dropping off 4/15). Looking to buy/rent an inexpensive motorcycle trailer that I could pick up between Toronto and Philadelphia (mid March) , and then sell/return in Vancouver (mid April). Would love to take my ST on this adventure and return on two wheels.

Not sure I can make this happen, but willing to give it a try.

Tom

Bike
2010 ST1300
U-haul? I have no idea if they allow you to take their trailers into Canada - a phone call should clear that up. But they definitely rent trailers one way - so you could drop it off in, say, Seattle or any large city near your destination. Inexpensive? I cannot answer that one. Their open mc trailer is robust and built like a tank (iirc, they told me it weighs 1000 lbs) and the one I rented had a notch in the front wall for your front tire. No chocks, but plenty of tie down points. They also rent enclosed trailers if you prefer that.

Tractor supply has a $500 garden trailer (5' x 8') that I bought specifically to haul my bike (and snowblowers, and tractor-mower, and canoe, etc.). It has a mesh floor so I toss in a sheet of plywood. It seems pretty robust, but several reviews complained about welds breaking. Other guys here have had great luck with the Harbor Fright trailer. All depends how long you will have to sell the trailer once you arrive, and how much you can get for it.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
U-Haul trailers work but if it is a slow trip across the continent it can get expensive, if you are going a to b as fast as possible it might be a good option. If you buy a used trailer make sure you service the bearings, wouldn't be much fun if you broke down in the middle of nowhere with seized bearings. If you have never loaded a bike on a trailer maybe watch a few Youtube videos on the perils of loading motorcycles onto trailers. Tying the bike down on the trailer is another thing you will want to learn to do right. I think shipping the bike is probably the best option, last year my brother and I drove our Chevy Express van from Ontario to northern BC and returned hauling a 12 ft U-Haul and the van used more than 50% more fuel on the return trip so the fuel cost would go a long way towards paying for shipping.

Gerhard

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
I see that there is a 5' X 8' Open Mesh floor trailer for sale at the local Tractor Supply for $699.99. That seems a bit high for a simple trailer. $500 seems like a more reasonable price. U-Haul offers a 5' X 9' Utility trailer to rent for $726 - also not a great deal. Maybe shipping is my best option.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
If you will ever do it more than once, double or triple your numbers and you can find something sturdy and durable.

Greg

Bike
2006 ST1300
I borrowed a Harbor Freight trailer from a fellow ST lister, and it worked very well for a trip up to Ohio and back. He had installed their wheel chock, which made it simple to load and secure the bike. I will note that, despite having some really good quality 1.5" ratchet straps, 2" HD ones would be better. I had to stop occasionally to retighten the straps. The ST IS a heavy bugger!
The Harbor Freight trailers can be had for 200$ or so if you catch them right.

Bike
03 st 1300
Keep an eye out for golf cart trailers, many are well made and pull well. I just used one to pick up my bike and
was surprised how well it worked. This one took an 1-7/8 ball. Good luck.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I looked long and hard for trailers and decided that the Tractor Supply one was a reasonable compromise for light duty or occasional hauling. I liked their larger size tires (than HF), and the 5 x 8 bed w/ integral ramp. And TS has sales (hence my lower price). I will note that I looked over their inventory and rejected at least two other samples - the bed on one was twisted and another seemed to be warped or racked. When I met the guy out back (he assembled it) he came with the wrong information and started putting together the wrong trailer. That squared away, I paid for the trailer, went outside to check the VIN one last time - trailer label against the invoice and title - and of course, it was WRONG. They did the paperwork all over again. The people were cheery, friendly and seemed knowledgeable if more than a little incompetent.

Local rental for U-haul is about $20 a day. IIRC when I picked up my ST, (3 day rental) it cost around 75 to 80 for three days w/ insurance plus tax. I think they would have added another $100 for one way, so you will have to call yourself for pricing.

Alternatives. Are there Hitch mounts that will handle the front wheel weight of an ST? Seems to me the bike is too heavy for that kind of towing.

Bike
2005 st1300
Keep in mind that leaving in mid-march you stand a good chance of hitting crappy weather and that if the trailer isnt enclosed, you will be subjecting your ST to a barrage of crap. In Ontario, they salt and very often now apply liquid brine. Not so much out west, but in Alberta, they go heavy on the sand and alot of the time there are rocks in that sand. I realize that you will likely cover/wrap your bike, but being behind an RV, the crap will likely seep in. Also, if you are landing in Vancouver in mid-April, You run the risk of crappy riding weather trying to get back east.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I bought a HF trailer about 14 years ago. I added the sidewall kit, HF tire chock, three ramp kit, then re-enforced the walls because the side had hindges and the vibration was too much for it! A few years back, I have had to replace the plywood on it and repaint it, but using it to haul the ST1300 has been perfect! I'll be trailering the bike up to WeSTOC, so Chris will come with me. I'm thinking of replacing the axle this year, just to be on the safe side!

Trailer-Ramp.jpgtrailer.jpg

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
For about half the price of rental you can but a trailer , a chock, and a tri-fold ramp.

Even if you sell it for free, donate it to a fellow forum member as community property or gift it to Mellow as a site-supporter you are coming out ahead. If you quickly sell it on craigslist for $50 you are even further ahead, or donate it to a charity as a tax write-off.

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
Back in 2002 we bought a new class A motor home and spent almost three months touring the USA. I put a big splash guard on my well used three rail dirt bike trailer and rigged the tie downs to carry my former ST1100. We hit a lot of rain back East and the bike was a disaster at almost every stop. Never again! I purchased a nice used Pace American 6X10 enclosed trailer for the trip home. Perfect! We spend a couple months each winter at Morro Bay so I have a continuing need for it.

Ed

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I think you are making your trip a bit confusing and costly. It would be better if you could just ship your ST to Vancouver. There are a number of shipping companies in the local market who can provide you service. For more information try searching for shipping companies on the Internet.[/FONT]

Top Bottom