Is KLR650 expensive or CB500x/NC700x are cheap?

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I was browsing the CycleTrader website and found something kinda odd, at least for me... Why is KLR650 (https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2017-KLR650) $100 more expensive than CB500x (http://powersports.honda.com/2017/cb500x.aspx), even CB500x has two cylinders, more power, fuel injection, ABS, lighter, better gas mileage...?!? And the same thing for used bikes too (approximately the same year and mileage, of course). What's wrong with my logic?
Example: 2014 KLR650, 3,8K miles for $5,200 vs 2013 CB500x, 3,9K miles, $4,700 Why "should" I buy KLR over CB?!?

Bike
1998 ST1100
Really two different style bikes. Honda is sportier, and 10 more HP. Guys like the KLR, but I never cared for it.
Figure out which bike is better suited to you, and your style of riding. Don't buy a bike just because it is cheaper.
Honda get better milage and has a six speed transmission... I don't own either, but i think you can guess my favorite.

Last edited:
Bike
2015 FJR1300
In SC the dealers have them for about the same amount of money out the door. I just bought a CB500XA and my buddy bought a KLR.
I've ordered rally raid Level 2 and 3 and look forward to turning it into a decent enduro.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
The stock KLR vs the stock CB500X/NC700x. Depends on what you want a motorcycle to do. All will do pavement and gravel forest service roads. The Honda's have the edge on pavement. But if you want to ride more than easy gravel forest service roads, the KLR is better. For instance, the KLR can handle 4X4 jeep roads at a relaxed pace the other two would be hard pressed to handle (stock). More suspension travel and more ground clearance.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
KLRs have been around a long time, have a lot of aftermarket support.....and have proven themselves to thousands of riders over hundreds of thousands of miles.
The Honda has none of that.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I agree, two different types of bikes. You would be better adding in the XL650L for the comparison with the KLR650.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I agree, two different types of bikes. You would be better adding in the XL650L for the comparison with the KLR650.
Guys, I think you didn't get my questions. I wasn't comparing the bikes. I was comparing the prices. Kinda same price for KLR (one cylinder, carburetor, oil-thirsty, non-ABS) and CB (two cylinders, FI, ABS, lighter, better gas mileage). I know well KLR is dual sport, much better at dirt, can somehow do highways. I know well CB500x is street bike that can do some gravels and fire-roads. But two engines, pretty close in CCs, one cylinder vs two, carburetor vs FI, old vs new technology, etc...

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Guys, I think you didn't get my questions. I wasn't comparing the bikes. I was comparing the prices.
You can't compare prices without comparing bikes. The two are forever intertwined.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Guys, I think you didn't get my questions. I wasn't comparing the bikes. I was comparing the prices. Kinda same price for KLR (one cylinder, carburetor, oil-thirsty, non-ABS) and CB (two cylinders, FI, ABS, lighter, better gas mileage). I know well KLR is dual sport, much better at dirt, can somehow do highways. I know well CB500x is street bike that can do some gravels and fire-roads. But two engines, pretty close in CCs, one cylinder vs two, carburetor vs FI, old vs new technology, etc...
It sounds like to me that you may have already made up your mind. However, you need to look at the used market closely. I don't know about the Hondas, but KLR abound.The Hondas have all the new stuff, more suited to street, the KLR is old school with more suited to off road, although fine on the street. Not very well suited for the interstate unless you re gear them. Oil thirsty? Not really if you have a 2010 + model. You can get used KLRs way cheap. Got mine for $3k all farkled up with about 2,500 miles on the clock, three years ago.
I rode a NC700 all through Spain and France. It was OK, but just. I had to strain to keep up with the guys on the bigger bikes on the Spanish version of the Interstate running about 150 kph. On the really tight, rough twistys that abound in southern France, I would have much rather been on my KLR.
The USMC has been using a diesel version of the KLR for years. That sort of attests to its ruggedness.

Bike
1998 ST1100
We do have a proud and noble heritage to uphold here, in the great state of Wisconsin... (wink)

Bike
1998 ST1100
Ooooo, so you were asking how a ancient behemoth like the KLR could sell for a comparable price to the CB500x. Well that trick is do to the magical world of marketing. It is worth what someone is willing to pay....
KLR have a reputation of being reliable, and there are always writeups in adventure mags about guys taking trips on them, so lots of people read about them and buy them. As someone else pointed out, you can find good used ones all day long at $2k-$3k, So I am thinking once the luster of a new bike wears off, the price drops dramatically.

I own a XR650L, it's nickname is "Big Red Pig". The KLR has 50+ pounds on a XR, so you can just imagine the words you would use to describe it, if you road it off-road. I have driven them, and they seem to carry the weight up high, making it all the worse.

Bike
03 st 1300
I've owned a XR650 and loved it. I believe it was the same as the XR650L, just no blinkers etc. my friend had a KLR 650
and it road fine on road, but no where near an off road bike like the Honda. He road the KLR for a year and sold it for near
what he paid for it. The kawis hold their value and are easy to sell in my town. Ive always wondered why they are so popular also.

Top Bottom