Honda CB550XA

Bike
2015 FJR1300
I've been looking for a few years to add a smaller enduro bike to my garage. Oddly enough, this past weekend, much to my wife's chagrin, just such a bike followed me home.
Boy is she pissed but I'll save that story for a future post.

I bought a left over CB500X from a local shop. I know, I know the CBX is not an enduro bike. Like I said I've been looking for a few years.
I've ordered all the parts to do this to it:

http://www.cycleworld.com/honda-cb500x-adventure-kit-by-rally-raid-products

Wait till she sees that bill!

:threadbomb1::threadbomb1:

Anyways,

Road the "Little Bit" all weekend, got her broken in per the owners manual and on Sunday was able to open her up on Hwy 178 and Hwy 215. What an absolute HOOT!
I can't get the grin off my face thinking about it. All this from a bike that has less horsepower than my SCAG.

It's been 30 years since I've ridden a little bike and I'm in love.

Bike
1998 ST1100
I love it. The cost for all the "extras" is a LOT I suspect.
Liquid cooled twin, EFI, and six speeds... perfect.
Only negative is that it is too pretty to bash, but you can have tons of fun just being a hooligan!

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300
Yea I'm going to spend half of what I paid for the bike in farkles. Should have bought a KTM, lol.

I'm not worried about putting scars on this one. It's my fall over bike. When it falls over, I'm going to smile because
most likely I'm having a good time.

:)

Last edited:
THAT is a great adv bike/enduro. Every review I've read raves about the Rally Raid upgrades. Which Rally Raid level are you modding it to?

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300
I've ordered the level 2 kit which upgrades the suspension and the level 3 kit that adds spoked wheels and a few othe bits.

I should have everything by the first of April.

Bike
VStrom 650
You are so right.....But you knew that.
I love what the Japanese are doing at the moment, reminds me of my youth.
It's a pity the media can't say more positive things about these little bundles of fun.
40 bhp and light weight used to be something to dream about, RD400DX, CB400F, GT380, KH400 anyone.
It seems the press are only interested in the Biggie's, I was reading that the new Ducati SS is an ideal entry budget Superbike. I think the journos' need a reality check.
Upt'North.

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
Sounds like a happy story - and the best part - it's a Honda! No manufacturer provides better quality, imho.
That part about the grumbling spouse, many of us have been there and done that, sadly. Do you have an older friend or relative who can spread oil on the water by suggesting to your wife that this purchase is making you a happy guy, and that's a good thing...

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300
Sounds like a happy story - and the best part - it's a Honda! No manufacturer provides better quality, imho.
That part about the grumbling spouse, many of us have been there and done that, sadly. Do you have an older friend or relative who can spread oil on the water by suggesting to your wife that this purchase is making you a happy guy, and that's a good thing...
All my friends and family are more likely to throw oil on the fire getting me in more marital trouble than I'm already in. LOL.
Isn't that what friends are for.

Here's a funny follow up. My FJR is in the shop getting valves checked, etc. I'm traveling this week and my Wife offered to pick it up.
I looked at her and said you don't ride how are you going to pick it up. She laughed and said it wasn't coming home she was going to
sell it to the first person at the dealer that offered her more than $10.

If any of you live in the Greenville, SC area and find a sweet deal on a 2015 FJR, do a brother a favor and just say NO.

OP
OP
Bike
2015 FJR1300
I 'm really enjoying it. On Sunday I took on some great twisties and then went off road on some horribly maintained jeep trails. I come home exhausted, sore and grinning.
Apparently I'm getting better at the off road thing, last 3 times out I came back without dirt in my teeth.

Still loving it.

I 'm really enjoying it. On Sunday I took on some great twisties and then went off road on some horribly maintained jeep trails. I come home exhausted, sore and grinning.
Apparently I'm getting better at the off road thing, last 3 times out I came back without dirt in my teeth.

Still loving it.
Would love to see some pics!

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Check out Juan Browne's YouTube channel, "blacolirio". He's got a lot of videos of both the CB500X Rally Raid package, as well as excellent Ride Report video's.
https://www.youtube.com/user/blancolirio/playlists

It almost has me wanting to get a CB500X, but I'd probably go to a Super Tenere if I was in the market (a better long road tour compromise?)

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I've put 2500 miles on this little bike since getting it and I'm still very happy with it. My poor ST is not too happy these days. While out with the CB yesterday I decided to see what the top end was. Little bugger got up to 99mph on the gps.

Top Bottom