Tools...

Bike
1995 Honda ST1100
I am curious what tools I should take with me on a cross country trip. Thanks!

More snow today. Rumor has it that spring will come.
Snowy_Honda.jpg

Bike
2010 ST1300
Really depends how much you can or would do on the side of the road and if you have a tow service (like part of a Progressive Insurance package). Best tool would be the RAN list, and a cell phone with the owner's manual archived on it. Also depends on the route. If you are staying in civilized areas that would call for the above plus a few bucks. If you like to go off the beaten path and rough it, maybe you should take more.

Minimum would be a tire patch kit (gummy worms and inserter), small compressor, JIS screwdrivers, duct tape (how do I hate the stuff, let me count the ways....), 5mm allen wrench, and wrenches to get some of the more likely to fail parts out (e.g. battery). Oh, and a batch of fuses and a tester. Might you want to be able to pull a wheel off to get a new tire? Bigger wrenches are needed for that.

Do you think you would want to strip the bike on the side of the road? If that is the case, there are quite a few threads here describing a complete (but able to carry on your bike) tool kit. Different guys have different sets. I searched them out, printed them, compared them and made my own 'essential list'. Afterward, I used this tool set to strip the tupperware from my bike and perform my annual service (don't want to get out there and find an essential bit missing). This 'test' revealed a few items I wanted to have. My kit weighs around 10# (estimated).

At the other end of the spectrum, you could always tow your Snap-on Tool cabinet behind the bike.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Yep, the Ran list, cell phone, patch kit & compressor, credit card, basic tools, and I would also suggest a Spot Tracker.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Pretty abstract question. You have a '95 ST1100. How long have you had the bike and do you have a sense of routine tire and brake life vs. the installed tires/pads and the length of your planned trip. If it was up to me I'd ensure I'd done as much routine maintenance up upfront to avoid having to do this on the road. Other than what people have already mentioned to cover the bases I'd bring tools to deal with front and rear tires changes and brake pads service as well. I'd also ensure my battery was working properly + would clean up all battery connections prior to hitting the road.

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Take the tools you need to remove the basics... tupperware, wheels, battery, etc. you can usually get by with just a few. Also, a multi-meter for troubleshooting.

I roll mine up in a tool pouch that's about ?4" x 16"L.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
After having to remove the side cover with the Honda tool kit on the road to adjust the rear brake switch I decided to buy a better set of tools. I bought the RRR Tool Kit and then used the kit to remove the tupperware with only the tools in the kit. Then I added a few tools from Honda tool kit like the 24mm and 27mm wrenches for wheels.

I also carry an air pump, gummy worms, unopened tube of rubber cement, razor blades, fuses, rubber hose, zip ties and the owner's manual.

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I drove 2 times to California from Nova Scotia with many tools... I needed none as the bike worked perfectly both time. Each trip was 18000km for 3 weeks each time. If and when I go next time the chest will be alot smaller. The last time was June 2016 and the bike now has 91000km (57000 m)

Small compressor
Gummy worms for that nail you might pickup.
Tire gauge

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I drove 2 times to California from Nova Scotia with many tools... I needed none as the bike worked perfectly both time.
Aye, the purpose of carrying all those tools is not to enable you to take the bike apart while on the road, its to keep the gremlins and trolls at bay.

OP
OP
Bike
1995 Honda ST1100
Really depends how much you can or would do on the side of the road and if you have a tow service (like part of a Progressive Insurance package). Best tool would be the RAN list, and a cell phone with the owner's manual archived on it. Also depends on the route. If you are staying in civilized areas that would call for the above plus a few bucks. If you like to go off the beaten path and rough it, maybe you should take more.

Minimum would be a tire patch kit (gummy worms and inserter), small compressor, JIS screwdrivers, duct tape (how do I hate the stuff, let me count the ways....), 5mm allen wrench, and wrenches to get some of the more likely to fail parts out (e.g. battery). Oh, and a batch of fuses and a tester. Might you want to be able to pull a wheel off to get a new tire? Bigger wrenches are needed for that.

Do you think you would want to strip the bike on the side of the road? If that is the case, there are quite a few threads here describing a complete (but able to carry on your bike) tool kit. Different guys have different sets. I searched them out, printed them, compared them and made my own 'essential list'. Afterward, I used this tool set to strip the tupperware from my bike and perform my annual service (don't want to get out there and find an essential bit missing). This 'test' revealed a few items I wanted to have. My kit weighs around 10# (estimated).

At the other end of the spectrum, you could always tow your Snap-on Tool cabinet behind the bike.
Thanks for some excellent suggestions. I was planning on leaving the Snap-ons home. :) I really don't plan on doing any major work on the side of the road. The fuses and a tire patch kit are on the list now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
As long as you're staying in THIS country with Honda dealers not thousands of miles away, not much more than has been mentioned already. Stuff that I carry that hasn't been mentioned is Quick Steel or some version of JB Weld in case you biff and crack a case, an assortment of zip ties, bailing wire, some aluminum/metal tape, and some locking pliers for a broken shifter or lever (I carry a Leatherman Crunch). I carry a few electrical connections and, some assorted nuts and bolts. I carry this same stuff and my tool kit on adventure rides with my other bikes and have just gotten used to having it all along with me even on the ST1300.

OP
OP
Bike
1995 Honda ST1100
Yep, the Ran list, cell phone, patch kit & compressor, credit card, basic tools, and I would also suggest a Spot Tracker.
I don't know what the Ran list is. I will look into small compressors. Thanks!

OP
OP
Bike
1995 Honda ST1100
As long as you're staying in THIS country with Honda dealers not thousands of miles away, not much more than has been mentioned already. Stuff that I carry that hasn't been mentioned is Quick Steel or some version of JB Weld in case you biff and crack a case, an assortment of zip ties, bailing wire, some aluminum/metal tape, and some locking pliers for a broken shifter or lever (I carry a Leatherman Crunch). I carry a few electrical connections and, some assorted nuts and bolts. I carry this same stuff and my tool kit on adventure rides with my other bikes and have just gotten used to having it all along with me even on the ST1300.
Thanks for the suggestions. I never thought about Quick Steel and using the locking pliers. Great idea.

OP
OP
Bike
1995 Honda ST1100
Aye, the purpose of carrying all those tools is not to enable you to take the bike apart while on the road, its to keep the gremlins and trolls at bay.
It is encouraging to know that you didn't have any problems. I am optimistic about the bike's reliability but do want to be prepared. I am going from Washington to Connecticut by way of Canada. I will take enough to ward off the gremlins. Thanks!

OP
OP
Bike
1995 Honda ST1100
After having to remove the side cover with the Honda tool kit on the road to adjust the rear brake switch I decided to buy a better set of tools. I bought the RRR Tool Kit and then used the kit to remove the tupperware with only the tools in the kit. Then I added a few tools from Honda tool kit like the 24mm and 27mm wrenches for wheels.

I also carry an air pump, gummy worms, unopened tube of rubber cement, razor blades, fuses, rubber hose, zip ties and the owner's manual.
I will look into the RRR tool kit. The 24-27 wheel wrenches sound like a good idea too. Fuses will be on the list. Thanks.

OP
OP
Bike
1995 Honda ST1100
Take the tools you need to remove the basics... tupperware, wheels, battery, etc. you can usually get by with just a few. Also, a multi-meter for troubleshooting.

I roll mine up in a tool pouch that's about ?4" x 16"L.
I like the size of your tool kit. I will look into what I need to get to the battery and also a small multi-meter. Thanks for the suggestions!

OP
OP
Bike
1995 Honda ST1100
Pretty abstract question. You have a '95 ST1100. How long have you had the bike and do you have a sense of routine tire and brake life vs. the installed tires/pads and the length of your planned trip. If it was up to me I'd ensure I'd done as much routine maintenance up upfront to avoid having to do this on the road. Other than what people have already mentioned to cover the bases I'd bring tools to deal with front and rear tires changes and brake pads service as well. I'd also ensure my battery was working properly + would clean up all battery connections prior to hitting the road.
The ST1100 is a brand new machine to me. Because of the snow and ice I haven't even had a chance to ride it yet. I have a good amount of riding experience but that was years ago. The tires are new. I will check the battery and replace it if I need to. I will also check out the brake pads. I do plan on having all the routine maintenance done before the trip. Thank you for the suggestions and reminders.

OP
OP
Bike
1995 Honda ST1100
I do have the phone and credit card. I will look into getting a small compressor. What is a Spot Tracker? Thanks for the suggestions.

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
+1 on the RRR toolkit, do a search of the forums and you will find the guy on here. There are many small compressors out there, I have the slime one (BTW, unless you have no choice, tire changers hate that stuff). Do an internet search of spot tracker and you will find quite a bit about them. Others can track your progress and you can send a distress signal if needed but the service can be $$$. Good luck and ride safe.

Top Bottom