Tools...

Bike
2010 ST1300
I will look into the RRR tool kit. The 24-27 wheel wrenches sound like a good idea too. Fuses will be on the list. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think spending a few hours reading old posts is of great value. The tool threads, while maybe not to your taste will provide suggestions not seen here - for example, consider sockets and a breaker bar (no ratchet for these.

Every marque has a RAN list. We have one under community on this website, the Moto Guzzi guys have theirs (join the Moto Guzzi National Owner's Club), BMW has their book of willing helpers, etc. I'm sure the other brands have similar lists.

Check out threads here on what to do to your new old bike. Extensive lists of routine maintenance and things to check when you buy a used machine.

A SPOT beacon is a satellite comm device that sends your location to a computer so friends, family, enemies, and spies can follow your progress on a long trip. These have a signal buttons so you can send an 'I'm ok' message, or 'Help a bear just ate my tires and he looks hungry' message. Again, some guys swear by them, Davey Crockett or Lewis and Clark would have laughed. Your choice.

Good luck on your trip.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
If you ever have problems, whether mechanical or a crash out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service, a Spot can be a lifesaver.

OP
OP
Bike
1995 Honda ST1100
RAN - Rider Assistance Network, a list of people by geographical location willing to assist someone who is on the road. A nice feature of this forum.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
It sounds like a very nice feature which I didn't know about. Thanks, Northern km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
For the ST1300, in addition to the stock tool kit:
Cell phone
Gold AAA card Plus Motorcycle
Leatherman tool
Flashlight
Small air compressor
Plug kit
5 & 6 mm Allen wrenches
1/2" drive 27mm socket (I learned the hard way that very few people and even some dealers have these. Helps with rear wheel removal.)
Small JIS screwdriver with interchangeable bits
Jumper cables or small jump box
Wire, cable ties, duct tape

In 26 years of ST ownership, the plug kit and air compressor have been used the most, followed by the jumper cables.

OP
OP
Bike
1995 Honda ST1100
The motorcycle is parked at the house.We live on a heavily wooded piece of property.Rumor has it that spring is coming but that is just a rumor. I'm keeping busy by reading the postings, planning on what to bring, and what tools I'll need. I have all ready learned a lot on this forum.

Ed

OP
OP
Bike
1995 Honda ST1100
I am originally from Connecticut. I grew up and worked in Manchester (MCTC) and lived in West Hartford. My daughter and grandsons live in Connecticut.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
For the ST1300, in addition to the stock tool kit:
Cell phone
Gold AAA card Plus Motorcycle
Leatherman tool
Flashlight
Small air compressor
Plug kit
5 & 6 mm Allen wrenches
1/2" drive 27mm socket (I learned the hard way that very few people and even some dealers have these. Helps with rear wheel removal.)
Small JIS screwdriver with interchangeable bits
Jumper cables or small jump box
Wire, cable ties, duct tape

In 26 years of ST ownership, the plug kit and air compressor have been used the most, followed by the jumper cables.
You have nailed the list. The cell phone and AAA, AMA, BCAA or whatever card is priceless. Last summer and 180 miles on a deck truck for no charge to me was priceless. Better than about $400 out of pocket because of a shreaded rear tire.

OP
OP
Bike
1995 Honda ST1100
I bought the RRR tool kit. It looks quite complete. I also added a small compressor, patch kit, and a couple of other items. Not all Honda dealers are willing to work on old machines. One Honda dealer in Spokane, won't even change the oil. The Snap-Ons and tow truck will stay at home. Thanks for the advice.

Bike
VStrom 650
I bought the RRR tool kit. It looks quite complete. I also added a small compressor, patch kit, and a couple of other items. Not all Honda dealers are willing to work on old machines. One Honda dealer in Spokane, won't even change the oil. The Snap-Ons and tow truck will stay at home. Thanks for the advice.
These dealers really do need naming and shaming.
Could we have an area within this site where good and bad service advice is available. It would obviously need to cover all parts of the world.
If there is any Honda dealer out there who won't even change the oil on an older bike, they don't deserve our business.
Rant over.
Upt'North.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
So if you're taking the right sockets for taking off the tires: I'd think about a torque wrench.

I have a Harborfreight store (which, according to SWMBO is way too) close to our home ( as in ~1500 ft); I frequently go in for small items.
One day I saw their digital torque wrench, and I had a 25% off coupon that day. :D

Here is an interesting write-up on the unit from Hotrod.com.
---
We originally gathered a small collection of standard 1⁄2-inch drive clicker torque wrenches including a Snap-on, a Craftsman, and a Harbor Freight. Then we discovered a digital torque adapter sold by Harbor Freight. This small unit fits in between a standard 1⁄2-inch drive breaker bar and the socket, and using a digital strain gauge, it converts the torque applied through the adapter into a digital readout. At a typical Harbor Freight price of $39.99, we decided to include it in our test. We frankly didn't expect this little unit to be very accurate. But testing proved otherwise.

We ran the torque adapter through five consecutive applications of 70 lb-ft of torque to watch it hit within 0.10 of a lb-ft twice and actually hit exactly 70 lb-ft on one occasion. The average of the five tests was an amazing 70.1 lb-ft. The unit offers a digital readout and warning lights, and it even emits a progressive electronic beep when nearing the pre-selected torque.
---

My unit came with a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter, YMMV.

P.S.
If my bike looked like that I'd include a snowblower in my tool set! ;)

Top Bottom