Vibration after rear tire change

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I had a new rear tire put on at the end of September. I haven't had a chance to ride the bike until now. I have a vibration that seems to be coming from the engine/drivetrin that is most pronounced in low rpm operation, both acceleration and deceleration. Before I take it back to the shop that changed the tire, is there something he could have done to cause this? It doesn't feel smooth like an ST is supposed too.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I've been poking around the internet. Looks like the problam is either a bad balance job or a bad tire. I had a bad Michelin Pilot Road 3 on my XT when I put the 18 inch front rim on it, so it does happen. This one is a Pilot Road 4.

Bike
VStrom 650
Wouldn't tyre vibration/out of balance be speed related not rpm.
How long as it been parked up, if it's 6 months is it possibly the carbs?
Hope you sort it.
Upt'North.

Bike
92 ST1100
If tire/wheel related, I would first suspect tire bead is not seated completely on rim. Easy to check visually by eyes following tire bead around rim. If bead not seated properly and evenly, it will visually be seen;).

Last edited:
STOC #
Put it up on the main stand. Start it up and put in 5th gear. Run the throttle up to about 4k rpm. Is the rear wheel jumping up and down? There ya go.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I assume that you experienced the vibration while riding the bike as opposed to having the bike on the center stand and running the engine. You might take it out, get it up to speed and pull i the clutch and let the engine idle. If the vibration goes away, it is engine/carb related. If not, its the tire. You did say the vib was most pronounced during accel and deaccel - this has me puzzled. I would expect an out of balance or damaged tire to exhibit vibration all the time - more vibes at higher speeds (though there might be a sweet spot at which the vibrations decrease).

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Pulling the clutch thing is a good idea.

How much weight did it take to balance the tire ? If it took a lot of weight, it may be an indication that the tire is defective.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Lots of good advice & questions here. I'd also look at the install in terms of the left side axle spacer. the left side pinch bolt for the axle, the axle nut itself, the caliper stop bolt on the brake side. Are all of these in place and properly torqued?

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
It's been rough ever since I rode it. I got it back at the end of September, got Pnuemonia, and didn't ride it until 2 weeks ago. I noticed the roughness. Rode it again yesterday. Seemed to be getting worse. I texted the installer to see if I can drop it off. Just checked, 2 new weights.

Thanks for the advice. It was fine when I dropped it off, and not fine now. I'm going to let him deal with it.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I think I figured it out. Went to Kickstand Lodge this weekend. My centerstand was dragging on sharp turns when I leaned. Inspected the centerstand, and discovered an exhaust clamp had been mispositioned on the tire change. The ceterstand was resting on the exhaust clamp causing a vibration, and also causing it to be an inch or so lower than normal. I repositioned the exhaust clamp (with assistance from my riding buddies) and the centerstand came to rest on the rubber pad when retracted.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Good you solved the problem, but why was the exhaust clamp even touched for a tire change ??? Not necessary for a tire change o loosen the exhaust clamp.

Top Bottom