Faulty Windscreen Switch--goes down but not up

Any ideas on what I am looking for, and how to fix it, with a faulty windscreen switch? I am assuming it's one of the limit switches.

My windscreen hasn't been working so, finding time today, I used the amazing documents I found on this site to disassemble and clean the entire windscreen adjuster mechanism, cables, motor, gears, etc. Everything was in good shape--nothing stripped in the wire cables or gears. I lubed everything and replaced the assembly, only to discover that still the windshield didn't work. It was stuck in the lowest position. So I took it all apart again and manually raised the screen a couple of inches. When reassembled, the windscreen went down at the touch of the button, but won't come up.

I can readily take the mechanism out again, but aside from a disconnected wire or something, what am looking for? and how do I fix it?

Thanks so much!

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I would say that your problem is in the upper limit switch that stops the travel when the screen reaches the upper position. I've never had mine apart, but the switch may just may be stuck. Try moving the switch and check the wiring to the top switch.

Ride Safe
John

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would also check the two windshield relays. They sit under the windshield cowl. They are identical and you can swap the connectors to see if one went bad (or just a bad connection.)

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have the same problem but, my windscreen goes up only. - I first replaced the switch block because the windshield toggle sw seemed sticky, then I replaced the Up/Down relays after going through all the test-points in the service manual. The service manual didn't even ask about the limiter switches. Sure enough I just actuated the switch with my finger repeatedly and the windshield began going down intermittently again. - In my research to replace the damn limiter switch I contacted Honda Direct Line Parts and found out that in order to get that switch you have to buy the entire windshield assy at a cost of $436.18. (for a damm limiter switch that should only costs $2.00)

The switch is 2A 125VAC switch - (Mat-su-shi-ta*, PN/ABJ29084)

Is there anyone who can help me find a similar replacement?

*Added hyphens so the vendor is readable. --The Mods.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have the same problem but, my windscreen goes up only. - I first replaced the switch block because the windshield toggle sw seemed sticky, then I replaced the Up/Down relays after going through all the test-points in the service manual. The service manual didn't even ask about the limiter switches. Sure enough I just actuated the switch with my finger repeatedly and the windshield began going down intermittently again. - In my research to replace the damn limiter switch I contacted Honda Direct Line Parts and found out that in order to get that switch you have to buy the entire windshield assy at a cost of $436.18. (for a damm limiter switch that should only costs $2.00)

The switch is 2A 125VAC switch - (Matsu****a, PN/ABJ29084)

Is there anyone who can help me find a similar replacement?
Upper or Lower?

I'm sure I have one floating around. And I'll only charge you $300 for the switch...what a bargain huh? :rofl1:

Contact me off line. I have to go to storage tomorrow, and can check then for one.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
It's my lower limiter switch but, they are both the same switch part number.
Both switches come attached to a 4 connector assy harness but, I can just cut and solder the red and black wires.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's my lower limiter switch but, they are both the same switch part number.
Both switches come attached to a 4 connector assy harness but, I can just cut and solder the red and black wires.
Okay, let me see what I have available. I'll let you know tomorrow for sure.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
If someone has their switch removed, could you take a picture of it? I bought thousands of limit switches, over the years, at my job, so I'm pretty good a finding a cross reference to different manufacturers. Also, does anyone know it the switch is NC (normally closed) or NO (normally open)?

The MITSU5HITA switch may be marketed as a Panasonic.

John

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
If someone has their switch removed, could you take a picture of it? I bought thousands of limit switches, over the years, at my job, so I'm pretty good a finding a cross reference to different manufacturers. Also, does anyone know it the switch is NC (normally closed) or NO (normally open)?

The MITSU5HITA switch may be marketed as a Panasonic.

John
They are NC as shown in the schematic posted in post 5 above.

Mines were cruddy and sticky but came back to life after a good spraying of contact cleaner.

From what I recall, they were fitted to a mount that is different for top and bottom. Maybe there is a way to separate them from the mount.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I bought thousands of limit switches, over the years, at my job, so I'm pretty good a finding a cross reference to different manufacturers.
That is freakin' AWESOME. To find an off-the-shelf replacement for a part that isn't available separately from Honda would be very cool. My windshield works properly at the moment but anything could happen.

I probably should do a basic inspection/clean/lube. My bike is low milage (I'll have to check) but a 2010.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Had the same problem, did the same thing actuating the switch, and then sprayed with some electrical contact cleaner. Been working fine, think I store just above the lower position so I can test function before each ride. This worked for awile until I went to the full lower position, the switch would stick again and not lower the screen Found a used wiring harness with both switches on ebay, Works perfectly now. Careful not to store the windshield in the full lower position any longer.

Last edited:
Bike
2012 Honda ST1300
Good day, riders. I have the same problem with my bike. Windscreen moving down, not up. I disconnected adjuster from system and connected directly to battery and it come up and down easy. I though problem was with switch on handle bar and I ordered new one from Honda. Before I do replacement, what do you think: this is switch problem or something else? I know, you answered to thread opener, but it was two years ago. Maybe you have something new for me now? I don't think this is contact on the top of adjuster, because I connected two wires together and was no any movement. Give your advice please. Thank you in advance.

Bike
2012 Honda ST1300
Had the same problem, did the same thing actuating the switch, and then sprayed with some electrical contact cleaner. Been working fine, think I store just above the lower position so I can test function before each ride. This worked for awile until I went to the full lower position, the switch would stick again and not lower the screen Found a used wiring harness with both switches on ebay, Works perfectly now. Careful not to store the windshield in the full lower position any longer.
Same sh-t happened me. I used not too much windscreen and stored always in lowest position almost all the time. Can you explain me what exactly did you sprayed. Switch on handle bar or something else under upper cowl?

Bike
2004 ST1300
Same sh-t happened me. I used not too much windscreen and stored always in lowest position almost all the time. Can you explain me what exactly did you sprayed. Switch on handle bar or something else under upper cowl?
just used electrical contact cleaner on the limiter switch under the cowl. I also found I could reset the switch by manually clicking it on and off , then you have to be very careful to not lower the windscreen down to the lowest position or it would stick again. Best to replace the lower limiter switch.

I know this thread is somewhat dated but I've seen similar posted elsewhere. I had this problem as well and while I had the whole assembly off the bike I decided to dive a little deeper.
For those who have narrowed it down to the limit switch, which I suspect is 99% of the people posting, I got the numbers off the switch itself.
Part Number is ABJ29084
2amp, 125VAC
2 microfarad

Under the metal arm you can see the actual switch. The movement is ridiculously small, but if you're quiet you can hear if the switch actually clicks as you open and close it.
My lower limit was definitely stuck. After a liberal bath in contact cleaner and about 500 cycles with my fingers, it seems to be moving cleanly again. I was able to verify with a meter that it is opening and closing correctly now.

It's really easy to miss , but I'm including the pick of the switch assembly off the frame. You can see the switch between the mounting tab and what I assume is a guard plate

My first round of quick googling did not find that switch but I'm sure someone with more skills could cross reference it

Maybe that helps someone

Attachments

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Inspect the cables and gear, as this is what normally fails and causes them to go down and not up.
You could be looking at the wrong issue, thinking it’s a switch, only to miss seeing the real culprit.

Top Bottom