2013 Super Tenere

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
I've owned this Moto a little over 1 month now. The ride and torque are a major improvement over the Wee, that this Tenere replaced.
It's been parked for 2 weeks while doing a seat mod, air horn, PC-8 box and the interesting task of Rostra Cruise install.
Completed all yesterday and went for a short ride before supper. I was immediately reminded, as I started out the driveway, how much I appreciate this bike overall.
All is good now except the seat. I think 2-300 miles would be doable (for me) now, but I want more. I'll now be looking for an original seat to send off for a "real" seat mod that works.
Overall so far, very pleased with my Tenere.
Ride Safe.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Glad to hear it. I still like my 2014 a lot. The stock seat was terrible for me and the Laam seat is good for 1000+ days.

OP
OP
TOS

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Glad to hear it. I still like my 2014 a lot. The stock seat was terrible for me and the Laam seat is good for 1000+ days.
Do you know if 1st Gen and 2nd Gen OEM seats will interchange?
I'm shopping for untouched OEM rider seat for my 2013, (since I modified the foam) Terry Adcox may not be able to do his Seat Mod on my seat. Also, I'd be without a seat for 2-3 weeks. Looked on S-Ten site and ADV...no luck yet.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
They are supposed to be interchangeable. Are you looking to buy or borrow a seat? I have a new front and rear I'm not using if you need to borrow but I don't want to sell either.

I am loving my new Tenere. It feels like my old one but smoother. I am using all of the features like cruise and adjustable suspension on a regular basis so I guess they aren't novelties. Going to finally do the first oil change and mount the skid plate then I will be done farkeling for a while. Just need to ride it.
Mike

OP
OP
TOS

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
If I can't find a seat in the next week or so, I'll call Terry and see if he can still do my seat mod after "my modification" on it. If he can, then I might ask to borrow your Rider Seat. Thanks for the offer too.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I tried a Seat Concepts on my 2013 Tenere and found it raised me up too high and it wasn't any more comfortable than the stock seat. Some love it so it is worth trying for not much money. Seats and wind screens are so personal that sharing one's experiences are almost worthless. I like Sargent seats and am on my fifth bike with a Sargent seat. There might be others that are better but I know what I'm getting with Sargent and they work for me.....others hate them. Feels like the stock is about a 300 mile seat like my last one. The low seat was a little more comfortable due to firmer foam than the standard seat on my 2013 but not so much better that it would want me to purchase one. I got the last one free with the $1200 of Yamaha accessories when I bought the 2013.

The stock screen on my 2017 Tenere is just fine for me in the raised position. I haven't tried it any lower because it has still been cool outside when I've been riding. At least, for now, that is one thing that doesn't have to be addressed. I'm getting tired of spending money on farkles. The good part of owning the same bike for a second time is knowing exactly what I want and don't want on the bike which makes things a little bit easier. The only difficulty with the ES is that there is very little open space anywhere on this bike for wire runs or anything else....it's very tight when you remove the plastics. I know.....first world problem.
Mike

OP
OP
TOS

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
I was just looking at SC site...I could save $150+ with that route, but don't want to spend more and still not be pleased. I think I'm going to call them and see what changes they make to the foam for comfort. I've already trimmed the rear seat/frame bumpers to make the seat almost level. Looks like they also have more foam in the front to remedy this too. I added a foam/gel insert that helped, but I need to take a long ride to see just how much difference it made.
cutout for gel insert.jpg
gel insert.jpg

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I tried a gel seat for a while. The gel gets HOT in the sun and doesn't cool down no matter how long you sit on it.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I tried a gel seat for a while. The gel gets HOT in the sun and doesn't cool down no matter how long you sit on it.
That's called the Automated Bun Toaster Farkle ... :D I had one of the first Saddlemen Gel seats on my ST1100. I learned to take along a white towel to drape over the thing. ;-)

OP
OP
TOS

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
How much is a Laam?
I think that is what Mellow is running now. Seems like he told me around $300. That's what I paid Terry Adcox for the Wee seat mod and it was a huge difference. Bad thing about him, he has no seat pans, so you gotta send yours and wait for return.
Kinda like Bug said about the Sargent seats for him, I know that Terry will make something that works for me.

OP
OP
TOS

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
That's an issue I hadn't thought about! Why didn't you read my mind and tell me that. ;-)
I did use the insulating layer over the gel like recommended. Maybe it will help some.
seat insulating layer.jpg
However, I bet it will still retain the heat like you said, especially parked in the sun. :-(
Looks like I'll need more $ for a seat now.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Tim,
If you can't find anyone with a stock seat see if you can find someone that has replaced their foam with a Seat Concepts. They might have the original foam piece from the seat left over that isn't being used. That way Terry would have something unmolested to work with.

I'm thinking Raymond's problem with the gel seat is too much Mexican food while riding.
Mike

OP
OP
TOS

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Tim,
If you can't find anyone with a stock seat see if you can find someone that has replaced their foam with a Seat Concepts. They might have the original foam piece from the seat left over that isn't being used. That way Terry would have something unmolested to work with.

I'm thinking Raymond's problem with the gel seat is too much Mexican food while riding.
Mike
Good idea on the foam...
Jalapenos can be hotter coming out than going in. lol

Bike
R1200rt
That's an issue I hadn't thought about! Why didn't you read my mind and tell me that. ;-)
I did use the insulating layer over the gel like recommended. Maybe it will help some.
seat insulating layer.jpg
However, I bet it will still retain the heat like you said, especially parked in the sun. :-(
Looks like I'll need more $ for a seat now.
I used a cell pad and the covering foam layer on my st1100 seat is very comfortable, not hot and can ride all day. The cost is very reasonable to try.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Seat Concepts offers 2 different seats for the S10 - a regular and a Low version http://www.seatconcepts.com/store/products#!/Super-Tenere/c/17935026/offset=0&sort=normal

In this link they say the low seat is 1" lower than stock. They also say that the low seat has added width and foam density ... & is wider and dished ... http://www.seatconcepts.com/store/products#!/Yamaha-2010-16-XTZ1200Z-Super-Tenere-*-LOW-*/p/59145865/category=17935026

So what does that mean? ... an improvement over the stock seat or do they mean when compared to the regular seat that they, (Seat Concepts), offer? (This shouldn't be this hard :shrug2: )

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
I went with SC on mine. HUGE difference. I liked the concept that they would custom pour the foam for me to my specs. This was before the low rider option came about, which may have been nice but I like what I've got. I purchased a staple gun from Harbor Freight and did the install myself without any issues.

Tim, my poor Tenere has been sitting in the shop since last Sept or Oct. I wish we were closer in distance so I could let you take the seat for a week or until I need it again.

Top Bottom