Sensor

Bike
ST1300
There is a sensor up above the front tire in the black plastic on the left front side. Does anyone know what that does? I broke it some, when I could not see up in there very well.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I believe that is the air temp sensor. Unsure of weather it actually does anything to the way the motor runs. Someone will be along shortly who knows more than I do.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Ozzie is correct. That sensor gives you the reading on the LCD screen for ambient air temperature. There is another sensor in the top of the air box that reads the intake air temperature for the ECM.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
There is a sensor up above the front tire in the black plastic on the left front side. Does anyone know what that does? I broke it some, when I could not see up in there very well.
Do you mean the right front side as sitting on bike, or left side facing bike?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Igofar said:
Do you mean the right front side as sitting on bike, or left side facing bike?
Nearly every time I read some book or manual or online instruction regarding working on cars or motorcycles there's inevitably confusion about 'left' and 'right'. Assuming it's not the lack of knowing your 'military left' and 'military right' or 'no your OTHER right' the authors are compelled at some point to state 'as your facing the bike (or car)' or 'as your sitting on the bike' etc..

If only there were universal terms that always denoted the same sides every time and didn't require prefacing or assumption— something like port and starboard. Anybody unfamiliar with those terms could quickly look them up and they'd be the same every time. </rant>

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Since there is only one sensor in the inner cowling, right or left is irrelevant.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I think that horse is dead now, but what do I know.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I thought I had a new one in my spare parts bins that I was going to offer to mail you, but it turned out to be a speed sensor unit, sorry.
If you need a Sensor, open air temperature unit, the part number is 37890-MCS-G01 @ $41.60, and the self tapping screw is part number 93903-24280 @ $0.95 at Ronayers.com.
Sorry I could not have been more help.
Igofar

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Standard protocol for technical writers is left and right are always in relation to the way the item is designed to be operated unless they specify otherwise. E.g. For automoblies left & right is from the driver' seat. For an aircraft it would be from the pilot's seat. For a motorcycle from the driver's seat, etc..

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Standard protocol for technical writers is left and right are always in relation to the way the item is designed to be operated unless they specify otherwise. E.g. For automoblies left & right is from the driver' seat. For an aircraft it would be from the pilot's seat. For a motorcycle from the driver's seat, etc..
Not true with all Motorcycles. Harley Davidson's front brake rotors are a perfect example, the rotors are stamped LEFT and RIGHT, however, the one clearly marked LEFT belongs on the right side of the bike from the riders seated position.
Harley Davidson service manuals indicate that the relation is with the mechanic standing in front of the motorcycle facing it.
Harley Davidson is not the only motorcycle to use this method.

Bike
07 ST1300
I use port and starboard. Doesn't matter which way you are facing and it never changes. That should be the way for vehicles without a driver and passenger side.
So says me anyway.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
One Phillips head screw and a plug up by the fairings stay. Squeeze the tab against the plug to release it.

Top Bottom