Abba Skylift

Bike
2005 ST1300
Hey folks
I have been mulling over the idea of getting a lift for working on the bike. At the bike show here in Dublin over the weekend I saw the Abba Skylift and was impressed given how versatile it is . I called the manufacturer in England today and they do make adaptors for the pan has anybody here seen one used on a pan or have any experience of them . From looking at the videos on you tube and their website it makes it easy to remove wheels, clean calipers oil changes etc but having no experience of using a lift table I don't know whether it's better or worse I would greatly appreciate any input from you guys.
Cheers
Dub 24

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hey folks
I have been mulling over the idea of getting a lift for working on the bike. At the bike show here in Dublin over the weekend I saw the Abba Skylift and was impressed given how versatile it is . I called the manufacturer in England today and they do make adaptors for the pan has anybody here seen one used on a pan or have any experience of them . From looking at the videos on you tube and their website it makes it easy to remove wheels, clean calipers oil changes etc but having no experience of using a lift table I don't know whether it's better or worse I would greatly appreciate any input from you guys.
Cheers
Dub 24
Once you have the tupperware off, it would probably do the job. First time I saw one was just this morning when pictures of it were post about lifting the frontend off the ground...

Best-way-to-jack-up-the-front #8

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
Cheers Bob
Thanks for that link that sure is helpful . I'd like to get that owners opinion on the lift, maybe he's a owner on this forum and might give some input.
Cheers
Dub 24

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I'm curious about this as well, after seeing this mornings' other post/pictures.

Adapters/fittngs for 1300 and 1100? Not thrilled about messing with those swingarm pivot bolts though.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I'm curious about this as well, after seeing this mornings' other post/pictures.

Adapters/fittngs for 1300 and 1100? Not thrilled about messing with those swingarm pivot bolts though.
I'm not sure, but I doubt you mess with the bolts. Instead, the adapters likely fit into the socket head of the bolts to provide a support point.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
I was onto the distributor this morning they supply adaptors that fit into the swing arm recess all you do is remove the dust cover and the adaptor fits into the hole. They have ones manufactured for newer pans with the hexagonal shape hole but the older pans like mine a 2005 with the round hole he has to sort out he is sure they have something in stock to fit and he asked me to measure the diameter and depth of the recess. With regard to the swing arm pins you don't have to go near them. I'll keep ye all posted on any developments
Cheers
Dub 24

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I like the idea, but am disturbed by the idea of hanging 700 plus pounds from a pin that fits inside the hex of a swing arm bolt. Keep up updated on how it works out. Inquiring minds want to know......

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Ur shop would really turn into a first class operation with the addition of that lift. If you saw it demo'd at bike show - and the price is right - go for it.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
Cheers lads will keep you posted. These are two other options I'm looking at. problem is space in my garage my other bike the Blackbird would have to permanently live on top of the ramp where's the Sky lift could be pushed into a corner and the thing I like about the Sky lift is it gives good access. I would be interested to hear your views on these.
Cheers
Dub 24
https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikeextras-for-sale/quad-lawnmower-lift/14268570
https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/bike-and-mower-lift-and-lightweight-forklift/14645980

Last edited:
Bike
St1300
I've just brought myself an Abba sky lift today. Just been putting it together this afternoon.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I decided to get one of these. Looks very flexible. I thought about the HF Bike lifts but they take up too much space and not as flexible as this is. Plus, you can take the legs off and store in a smaller foot print than any other lift/stand I found. Looks like 7 days to get from the UK to TX which is crazy.

I'll post some pics once I get it but tons of videos out there. I like that you can lift the front, rear or both sides of the bike at the same time as well as move the bike around when on the lift.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
When I watched the YouTube video comparing this with the Harbor Freight and the Handy lift I was amazed. I would go for the Abba for space and flexibility like @Mellow has said.
Originally found the vid on ADVrider while prowling around.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I wonder about this lift. It is rated at 400kg - 881 lbs. My HF is rated at 1000, yet when I put my ST on it and raised it, the platform wobbled enough that I cut 4 wood posts to fit under the corners. That made it stable enough for me to feel comfortable. I also put a 1/4" steel plate on the table after the center stand made a couple of dents in HF's lightweight fabrication.

My point is when you load something close to its design limit, you get flexing that while it is not unsafe, it is worrying. @Mellow's BMW is lighter than the ST so this may not be a problem. Dancing Queen, indeed.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I wonder about this lift. It is rated at 400kg - 881 lbs. My HF is rated at 1000, yet when I put my ST on it and raised it, the platform wobbled enough that I cut 4 wood posts to fit under the corners. That made it stable enough for me to feel comfortable. I also put a 1/4" steel plate on the table after the center stand made a couple of dents in HF's lightweight fabrication.

My point is when you load something close to its design limit, you get flexing that while it is not unsafe, it is worrying. @Mellow's BMW is lighter than the ST so this may not be a problem. Dancing Queen, indeed.
I think I've even seen a goldwing on one, but maybe not, I'd use a diff one for a wing.

I've seen guys sitting on bikes while on the lift.

I would only use it to raise maybe 6 inches for doing tire changes.

You're also dealing with Made in the UK vs Made in China... so there is that.

honda-st1300-2.jpg

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Looks as if one would wish to remove the bodywork prior to hoisting, if for no other reason than to protect the plastic.
But I guess it depends on what work is to be done.
Looks as if you could remove almost all panels without interference from the lift, but it would be frustrating to have it in the air only to find you cannot access some bodywork fasteners due to the lift mounting point.
Would still like to have one, as I see mostly advantages to this system.

Top Bottom